Matt Dufty or Corey Norman for Super League?

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

It's interesting how the perceptions work on here.

Matt Dufty had his best season in the NRL is 2018 when he played 26 games.  In that year he had 22 tries or try assists and 23 line breaks or line breaks assists.

In 2014 Sam Tomkins played 24 games in the NRL and had 26 tries or try assists and 26 line breaks or line break assists.

But Sam Tomkins was a flop in the NRL and Matt Dufty is far too good for Super League.

In fairness Dunbar I don't think the people who think Tomkins was a flop are the same as the people think Dufty is too good for SL.

In my experience on here people who hate the NRL also hate Tomkins and people who think SL is rubbish rate him.

On Fox League NRL360 today one of the commentators said that Corey Norman is headed for Super League because no NRL club wants him. All agreed that no NRL club wants him.

Don’t underestimate the stupidity of the recruitment office at Wakefield.

On 14/06/2021 at 23:17, Hela Wigmen said:

Dufty has been spoke about at Saints allegedly. One year deal and then signing for the second Brisbane NRL side apparently. 

As much as I’d like to keep Coote I’d be happy with that. 

18 hours ago, bobbruce said:

As much as I’d like to keep Coote I’d be happy with that. 

The Coote of 2019 & 20 definately but so far this year he's been a bit below par. Granted he's had a few injuries (and still looks like he's carrying some) but I think the whole Covid & Family thing has really started to affect his game and him returning to Oz is the best move for him and his family.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

On 15/06/2021 at 06:49, graveyard johnny said:

dufty is far too good for sl - he might as well be given man of steel as he leaves the airport in sydney- am sure he will find another club in the nrl easily enough

I've posted many time about Dufty's frailties and got shouted down by people like you & Manfred telling us he's some sort of superstar. Watch last weeks Dragons game against the Dogs, Dufty's limitations are laid bare for all to see - Defensively he was absolutely awful to the point it wasn't even worth having him there as last line of defence, they may as well have just had a turnstile ! 

No point having a FB who can run the length of the field to score a brilliant solo try if he then concedes 3 or 4 with poor defense.

On 15/06/2021 at 07:56, Manfred Mann said:

Both full back Matt Dufty and five eighth Corey Norman have just been told that they are not wanted beyond this season by St. George-Illawarra rugby league club.

Dufty, who is not on big money, has only been in conversations with Canberra Raiders. No other club has shown interest. This means that he cannot demand a financially extravagant contract.

Norman’s agent has been trying to find another NRL club for him, but has found no interest. Norman will thus not be demanding a huge financial deal.

This suggest that both players, who are still in their prime, could be attracted to good offers from Super League clubs.

Which clubs are most likely to put in an offer to them?

On 15/06/2021 at 08:04, Man of Kent said:

I’d prefer to see Dufty, who has an x-factor. Would do really well in Super League. 

Norman seems a bit of a numbnuts who might not be suited to England.

On 15/06/2021 at 14:41, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Leeds are in the market for a new half back for 2022 with Rob Lui leaving to move back to Australia, I’m not sure whether Corey Norman will be on the radar or not.

On 15/06/2021 at 15:49, graveyard johnny said:

dufty is far too good for sl - he might as well be given man of steel as he leaves the airport in sydney- am sure he will find another club in the nrl easily enough

It seems Matt Duffy is fine going forward, but his defense is poor

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-six-reasons-the-dragons-don-t-want-matt-dufty-20210610-p57zwe.html

24 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

It seems Matt Duffy is fine going forward, but his defense is poor

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-six-reasons-the-dragons-don-t-want-matt-dufty-20210610-p57zwe.html

Any sign of Manfred yet to tell us that Journo has no knowledge of the game and those facts & statistics are just Fake News 😁

• 3 weeks later...

Dufty has an awfully high opinion of himself. I hope no SL club touches him with a barge pole and I reckon if he did go to any SL club it will just end up in one of those will he stay or won't he stay sagas:

“I talk to my manager every day. There’s always overseas if I want to go there, but I think I’m an NRL player, and it’s a bit disrespectful to myself and what I want to achieve if I go over there now.”

Dufty’s current club have not offered him a contract beyond this season, forcing him to look elsewhere.

Dufty, who has notched 44 tries in 79 first grade appearances, added: “It’s a bit sad my reputation has been a bit ruined.

“I’ve [become] a bit of an enigma. Nobody knows why.

“It’s a shame because I thought I’ve played some good footy, except for the one bad game against the Dogs, and everyone has an off game.”

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/matt-dufty-super-league-move-20974406

17 hours ago, Damien said:

Dufty has an awfully high opinion of himself. I hope no SL club touches him with a barge pole and I reckon if he did go to any SL club it will just end up in one of those will he stay or won't he stay sagas:

“I talk to my manager every day. There’s always overseas if I want to go there, but I think I’m an NRL player, and it’s a bit disrespectful to myself and what I want to achieve if I go over there now.”

Dufty’s current club have not offered him a contract beyond this season, forcing him to look elsewhere.

Dufty, who has notched 44 tries in 79 first grade appearances, added: “It’s a bit sad my reputation has been a bit ruined.

“I’ve [become] a bit of an enigma. Nobody knows why.

“It’s a shame because I thought I’ve played some good footy, except for the one bad game against the Dogs, and everyone has an off game.”

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/matt-dufty-super-league-move-20974406

Matt Dufty is a perfect example of a player who, if he was a Super League player, we would be told he would have no chance in the NRL... too small, a good ball runner but awful in defence and poor positioning.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

29 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Good on him for thinking as he does. Rather that than pretend otherwise.

Exactly , he’s being honest and I’d say he’s right . Getting fixed up is another matter 

On 07/07/2021 at 11:17, Hela Wigmen said:

In fairness, Coote come over here and said he saw himself as an NRL player and was a bit bitter about how it unfolded at the Cowboys, it’s not a lot different to Dufty, really. 

I don't recall Coote ever saying that about being an 'NRL Player' and being derogatory towards SL. He was really peed off at the way he was treated by the Cowboys particularly as he'd been around for quite a few years and proved himself, winning a GF.  

5 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

I don't recall Coote ever saying that about being an 'NRL Player' and being derogatory towards SL. He was really peed off at the way he was treated by the Cowboys particularly as he'd been around for quite a few years and proved himself, winning a GF.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/former-cowboys-fullback-lachlan-coote-blasts-club-over-exit/news-story/5c19e943111888094f022a53166cda8e

54 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Not exactly the same context as Dufty. He wanted to stay in the NRL because he has 2 young kids and wanted to stay close to his parents, not because he thinks SL is some sort of inferior competition which is how Difty's comments came across

3 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Not exactly the same context as Dufty. He wanted to stay in the NRL because he has 2 young kids and wanted to stay close to his parents, not because he thinks SL is some sort of inferior competition which is how Difty's comments came across

“I wanted to stay in the NRL, why wouldn’t you?” doesn’t sound like he’s overly complimentary about Super League. I don’t blame either for not particularly wanting to come here either. 

Archived