18 year old to be given his SOO debut after only playing 7 NRL games

Anyone criticising this probably hasn’t seen Walsh play, one of the most exciting talents in years. I think it’s good for them to give him some SOO experience and tie him into the Maroons for years to come, despite his young age. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wiggler said:

Now watch Queensland prove me wrong this Wednesday!!

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Sunday

If they turned up to play on Wednesday and NSW didn’t turn up till Sunday they’d probably still lose 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While State of Origin has been sanitised in recent years with all the foul play tidied up, it is still very physical.  I worry about whether Walsh is physically durable enough at this stage. I hope so though.

This will go one of two ways. Either he will have a blinder or be found out as not ready.  I hope it is the former but I fear it won't be.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

While State of Origin has been sanitised in recent years with all the foul play tidied up, it is still very physical.  I worry about whether Walsh is physically durable enough at this stage. I hope so though.

This will go one of two ways. Either he will have a blinder or be found out as not ready.  I hope it is the former but I fear it won't be.

He’ll get a very early bomb , which will be an indicator 

5 hours ago, Vyvyan said:

Walsh is an excellent prospect.   If he was English he'd be straight in the national side.

On what evidence?

The Australians are far better at giving young kids a chance representatively.  If he was English he would have to go on loan to a Championship club for a season and then play a 100 Super League games to 'learn his trade' before we was given a chance.  We don't back talent nearly as much as the Aussies. 

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

On 22/06/2021 at 15:27, Dunbar said:

On what evidence?

The Australians are far better at giving young kids a chance representatively.  If he was English he would have to go on loan to a Championship club for a season and then play a 100 Super League games to 'learn his trade' before we was given a chance.  We don't back talent nearly as much as the Aussies. 

To be fair, Walsh would have played QCup last year if not for Covid, and started this year in Cup. If it wasn't for RTS leaving the Warriors, he would probably have spent a lot of this year 'learning his trade' in QCup anyway.

• Like 2

Reece Walsh has now been ruled out of contention for Origin 2.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

59 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Reece Walsh has now been ruled out of contention for Origin 2.

Oh well, that was a fun chat for a while.

5 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Mulitalo isn’t eligible for Queensland, a story is brewing down under and they aren’t wrong.

Watch this space.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

18 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Mulitalo isn’t eligible for Queensland, a story is brewing down under and they aren’t wrong.

Watch this space.

He wasn't born in Queensland (he was born in Aukland) and so according to the eligibility rules he needed to have been a resident of Queensland before his 13th birthday.  I can't see anywhere when he moved to Ipswich.

49 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He wasn't born in Queensland (he was born in Aukland) and so according to the eligibility rules he needed to have been a resident of Queensland before his 13th birthday.  I can't see anywhere when he moved to Ipswich.

14… NSWRL have launched an appeal to the NRL

On 22/06/2021 at 04:59, Mr Frisky said:

Showing the lack of depth these days in the Aussie game I would say.

The number of Islanders in the NRL has really grown in the past 20 years.

One of his parents is Aboriginal, how Australian do you want him to be?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

On 22/06/2021 at 05:08, Mr Frisky said:

Think Saints could beat Queensland TBH - i know the NRL lovers will go crazy on here but they are struggling.

You know 

On 22/06/2021 at 05:07, wiggler said:

I take your point but perhaps it reflects more on Queensland's position than the Aussie game as a whole.  I think NSW could put out a second string 13 that might do better than Queensland did in SOO1.   Now watch Queensland prove me wrong this Wednesday!!

It’s played on Sunday

On 22/06/2021 at 05:16, Dallas Mead said:

Doubtful mate, can’t even beat Warrington it would seem? 🤷‍♂️

Saints can’t beat Catalans 😁

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

He wasn’t gonna play then or they’ve had a change of heart about throwing him in

He has a hamstring injury

2 hours ago, Allora said:

One of his parents is Aboriginal, how Australian do you want him to be?

I was talking about the strength in depth of the NRL these days- and that's the reason this kid is being considered. I never said anything about his right to play origin.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

I was talking about the strength in depth of the NRL these days- and that's the reason this kid is being considered. I never said anything about his right to play origin.

One certain poster tells us there has never been so many top class fullbacks and the SL doesn't have one to compete with them, so are they all from overseas or NSW. 

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

One certain poster tells us there has never been so many top class fullbacks and the SL doesn't have one to compete with them, so are they all from overseas or NSW. 

Of the 8 fullbacks better than Walsh, 6 are from NSW. The two Queenslanders are injured. 

1 hour ago, Saint 1 said:

Of the 8 fullbacks better than Walsh, 6 are from NSW. The two Queenslanders are injured. 

Just thought this was a golden age of fullbacks, didn't think there. Would be a need to try unproven 18 years old.