Sat 26-Sun 27 Jun: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aren't Newcastle another one of these teams who would "bring more to super league" than many of the traditional heartland clubs?

Another club, like York and London, with absolutely no substance to warrant being labelled as such, other than building a good club for the future, being hailed as saviours to the sport.

15 minutes ago, meast said:

Aren't Newcastle another one of these teams who would "bring more to super league" than many of the traditional heartland clubs?

Another club, like York and London, with absolutely no substance to warrant being labelled as such, other than building a good club for the future, being hailed as saviours to the sport.

They jumped up a division and look like they’re going to do enough to stay there. They’ve generated a thriving community game and have an elite academy. I think they’re doing more than most at the minute 

3 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

No they didn't. The RFL dictated that no Part Time Clubs can travel to France in the current climate. I am sure we will play them later in the season.

That game won't be played now ,heard a rumour the home one might not be and its NOT  Fev who don't want to play . Might just be that a rumour but iam sure yippie will KNOW differently lol.

24 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Fev have consistently obtained more money due to impressive finishes. It looks like champ clubs will all get same next year (nothing) so that advantage will be gone  

To the third question, Fev released a commercial brochure previously  (pre pandamic) detailing what they sought for sponsorship,  hospitality etc  (It's v well put together and makes me wonder why certain other clubs dont) and from that we could gauge an income from certain streams. 

Now, we know the owner of Thunder is wealthy and prepared to back them plus I dont think it unreasonable to assume that a club based in a city with over 250,000 will be able to match or surpass Fev's commercial income. 

This isnt a pop at Fev but going forward, clubs in RFL Champ will be more dependent based on commercial income which will disadvantage Fev versus your York's and Newcastle's. 

Just what the game needs another unsustainable club dependent on a rich owner 

35 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Fev have consistently obtained more money due to impressive finishes. It looks like champ clubs will all get same next year (nothing) so that advantage will be gone  

Are you worried about what the future holds for Bradford regarding the lack of future funding and the return to Odsal? Despite large crowds the standard the majority of fans demand has been proven unsustainable over recent history.

Off to the Broncos soon the good thing is my 12 year old who came with my wife and myself to the 2 matches at Warrington this week asked if he could come for a day out with papa:) Warrington Wolves has sparked his interest (It was the goodie bag that did it with the foamy finger club badge pencils and pictures) all simple stuff really happy he suffered from epilepsy when he was very young which we now have under control but is autistic so having extra interests is really brilliant for him so Rugby League today and T/Twenty at Canterbury tomorrow:)

Paul

12 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Point is Thunder are in great shape to be financially sustainable in the long term. 

Quite possible SB but in the last round of published accounts FEV posted another yearly profit unlike some of our close neighbours

3 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Fev have no doubt set the standard for what a well run sustainable part time club should be. I would add Dewsbury to that also with their 3g rentals.  

Just glad to see clubs like York and Newcastle are ready to catch up and bring new opportunities to the game. 

Good luck to York and Newcastle who are making good progress. Newcastle need to establish themselves in the Championship and go from there. It will be as always, success on the field that will bring new fans to the game.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Point is Thunder are in great shape to be financially sustainable in the long term. 

Are they or is that dependent on promotion to SL? If Thunder remain in the championship long term would they be sustainable without their rich owner?

19 hours ago, matt newsholme said:

saw something tweeted during week that it has been widened but also shortened. Now bigger than minimum size allowed. Can't find tweet with new dimensions on though. 

Doesn’t look any different to the last couple of games 😔

3 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

Just what the game needs another unsustainable club dependent on a rich owner 

As opposed to all the unsustainable clubs with poor owners. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

6 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Now, we know the owner of Thunder is wealthy and prepared to back them plus I dont think it unreasonable to assume that a club based in a city with over 250,000 will be able to match or surpass Fev's commercial income. 

Delete "Thunder" and replace them with "Broncos" and delete "250,000" and replace with "9 million". Newcastle may well do very well in the coming years and I wish them well but it's no foregone conclusion, any more than London are guaranteed to bounce back.

Archived