You just knew that the union loving BBC would have a ex union player involved in a question of sport

10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I could say that about 95% of the bbc output but we still have to pay for it . My old Mam got hounded for ages by them despite being told dont worry about it after my dad died and she hardly ever watches the tripe they increasingly pump out so I’m on side for moaning at the bbc 

I think we'll all miss it when it's gone, and the money we've 'saved' by not paying the licence fee doesn't stretch to paying for the squillions of pay-TV services that will fill the gap it leaves.

But that's just me. 

Worth remembering the Beeb is the only UK broadcaster to show Rugby League to a national free-to-air audience, and have expanded their coverage to include Women's Rugby League this year too.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I don’t know what you’re going on about 

No worries.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

39 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

What annoys people like me is the blatantly pro union agenda of the BBC and never in the shows 50 year plus history has there been a captain or host from our game.

They showed the Women's Rugby League Challenge Cup final live on national TV this year.

Next weekend they are showing the Challenge Cup final live on BBC 1 and the 1895 Cup final on the Red Button and iPlayer.

That blatantly pro union agenda of theirs must be a little wonky.

I think Rugby League itself needs to work harder on building up the profile of its players, to the extent that they will get invited on popular entertainment shows, rather than blaming everyone and everything else for its own shortcomings, which is just a cop out IMO.

8 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I think we'll all miss it when it's gone, and the money we've 'saved' by not paying the licence fee doesn't stretch to paying for the squillions of pay-TV services that will fill the gap it leaves.

But that's just me. 

Worth remembering the Beeb is the only UK broadcaster to show Rugby League to a national free-to-air audience, and have expanded their coverage to include Women's Rugby League this year too.

Yeh sorry mate and Gingerjon , got a bit triggered there after a bad personal experience , and nudged things off track a bit .  Apologies 

6 minutes ago, John Drake said:

They showed the Women's Rugby League Challenge Cup final live on national TV this year.

Next weekend they are showing the Challenge Cup final live on BBC 1 and the 1895 Cup final on the Red Button and iPlayer.

That blatantly pro union agenda of theirs must be a little wonky.

I think Rugby League itself needs to work harder on building up the profile of its players, to the extent that they will get invited on popular entertainment shows, rather than blaming everyone and everything else for its own shortcomings, which is just a cop out IMO.

That the RFL are ineptat promoting the game and it's players is without doubt in my opinion, but that is a debate for another day on another forum

16 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The odd thing is, I very occasionally watch a bit of it, and there's still a quite decent (and sometimes pretty challenging) quiz element to the show, but it's being smothered by all the laboured larking about.

I can't see the latest revamp being a positive move. Shouty McGuinness, the inevitable ex-RU player and Sam Quek, who has always struck me as pleasant but a bit boring.

It's not as challenging for the contestants who the odd questions are aimed at, being asked specific question about their sport, with Paddy McGuiness as host I think the show is in it's death throws. It used to be good watching even 25 years ago, but Dawson and Tuffers are annoying. Yes, they were always going to put a Union player as captain, but what is interesting is he is non-white, even as a guest this is a rarity.

There used to be a dearth of League players on the show, which hasn't changed, but the BBC used to brush that aside by saying the programme was recorded on a Sunday afternoon, when most games were being played, which was BS, as there always has been plenty of injured players available. Now League is played over 4 days, some rounds, they have no excuse.

I was watching the Tour de France yesterday, and Peter Kennaugh said he has learned more about the Tour in 3 years of commentating, than 8 years of participation. 

6 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

That the RFL are ineptat promoting the game and it's players is without doubt in my opinion, but that is a debate for another day on another forum

You were complaining that Rugby League players had never hosted or captained a light entertainment TV show, and blaming the broadcaster for that, which makes it directly relevant here.

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

You were complaining that Rugby League players had never hosted or captained a light entertainment TV show, and blaming the broadcaster for that, which makes it directly relevant here.

John, i am just expressing my opinion, which I'm entitled to do.

8 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

John, i am just expressing my opinion, which I'm entitled to do.

Quite correct. The forum is only partially an opinion poll, though. IlIn my opinion, it's a discussion forum where posters may be called upon from time to time to provide justification or evidence that supports that opinion.

BBC ticking diversity boxes.

Maybe RL players don't get the gig because on the whole they are dull and would answer every question with the RFL programmed, "quality" type comments that bore the pants off everyone.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I'd suggest LMS to get the gig next time it's up for grabs , change the usual misconception of it being only northern , plus as it's recorded they'll have plenty time to edit out the odd swear word 😂

The Anti-Union agenda on this thread must be tempered by the fact that the BBC did try to sign up to show more RL games, apart from the Superleague Show, but as the RFL turned down Premier Sports, & BBC, as well as signing a 200 year deal with Sky Sports, the fault should lie with the RFL, with no blame on the BBC.

Premier sports were showing Championship RL, but the RFL sold the rights to Sky, who have never shown any kind of interest of showing Championship RL, they bought the rights just to stop another broadcaster showing RL, that has to be remembered next time someone from Sky rings you up about your subscription updates.

3 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

The Anti-Union agenda on this thread must be tempered by the fact that the BBC did try to sign up to show more RL games, apart from the Superleague Show, but as the RFL turned down Premier Sports, & BBC, as well as signing a 200 year deal with Sky Sports, the fault should lie with the RFL, with no blame on the BBC.

Premier sports were showing Championship RL, but the RFL sold the rights to Sky, who have never shown any kind of interest of showing Championship RL, they bought the rights just to stop another broadcaster showing RL, that has to be remembered next time someone from Sky rings you up about your subscription updates.

Yes , but Premier weren't actually paying anything for those rights , the RFL were asked to get money , that they did , hard to criticise that if that's what the clubs were asked to do ?

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Yes , but Premier weren't actually paying anything for those rights , the RFL were asked to get money , that they did , hard to criticise that if that's what the clubs were asked to do ?

Fair enough, but games were being shown on TV rather than having them streamed.

1 minute ago, Bleep1673 said:

Fair enough, but games were being shown on TV rather than having them streamed.

And the benefit to those clubs for being on TV was ? 

Having to play games on Thursday nights with reduced attendances 

4 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Many of those games had record or larger than average attendances, so how does that work?

Because they were encouraged to give out free tickets , so as it not to look rubbish on TV , this I know as I was party to discussions about it at the time 

40 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

And the benefit to those clubs for being on TV was ? 

Having to play games on Thursday nights with reduced attendances 

Publicity for when they weren't playing on a Thursday night. That's what the RFL missed, as usual, the big P word, PUBLICTY!

We are in danger of hijacking this thread and having John redirect it to the General RL Sub-Forum

4 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Publicity for when they weren't playing on a Thursday night. That's what the RFL missed, as usual, the big P word, PUBLICTY!

We are in danger of hijacking this thread and having John redirect it to the General RL Sub-Forum

It takes more than an occaisional game on an obscure channel on SKY to build a fan base at a lower tier club 

And yes you are correct , and the dog needs to go out , so " I'm out " 🙂

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

So what? Many of the games not only were good matches but they looked like they were part of something bigger. Not moribund like many are now.

But the clubs still essentially didn't benefit financially from being on TV , again no lower tier games apart from ' events like the Bash ' or the play offs should be televised live , the clubs need to improve their regular season attendances if they want to survive and indeed grow , they cannot rely upon TV money 

On 08/07/2021 at 22:33, unapologetic pedant said:

Fewer and fewer people in Bolton speak like that. In terms of accent the place has been swallowed up into the Mancunian conurbation.

Oddly, it`s only the ones still with Hovis vowels who get ont` telly. Including the roly-poly comic who, in my view, is a far better character actor than stand-up.

Aye , I prefer his John Smiths ads to anything he does on stage , same material for years '' Wots that abowt ''.

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

And getting people through the gate isn't a way of doing that? Even if they buy a pint or hot dog it's something they wouldn't have had. 

It's no good just being on TV then sitting back and expecting the crowds to roll up, you have to do something.

Free kids tickets were issued , and then counted in the attendance wether they attended or not , each club was ' allocated ' £ 1,000 pounds per game to be spent on marketing that game , they had to prove they had used it , they couldn't just stick it in the bank , some ' contra'd ' it against free kids tickets , some spent it on fireworks and other atmosphere creaters , some spent it on free coach travel for away fans ( at my suggestion ) , the first part of your post is correct " it is no good just being on TV " the rest is much more complicated 

Our marketing or lack of it has nothing to do with the Beeb and its tendency towards K&C.

The assumption that if you get your house in order and bums on seats would appear to be that the Beeb will change its tune.

This is nonsense. If we filled every large football stadium to the brim and clubs sold out of merchandise week on week, they would be richer and more sustainable but the Beeb would ignore our stars just the same as it's always done. Getting people to watch does not address this and never has.

It's also impossible for a sport based within the economic group without disposable income, in the geographical location of the poorer communities and either in the midst of austerity or economic depression forever to simply "turn things around"

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived