Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

St James's park, Elland Road, Old Trafford, the Emirates, Anfield, Bramall Lane, KC Stadium, Middlesbrough, York, Coventry, Doncaster, Bolton, Huddersfield all risk being wiped out.

My thoughts i said it at the start of all this nonsense football clubs might take the chance while World Cup on to make improvements to their stadiums plus pitches ??

8 minutes ago, The One said:

I've bought quite a few tickets for the tournament, if I'm honest and I don't take glee in this, if it's postponed I will be asking for a refund rather than moving my tickets to next year.

The opportunity to have several hundred quid back at the moment is too tempting over waiting to see if it actually does happen next year.

Whether I end up buying tickets again next year is another story but it's not guaranteed.

It's your money so you've every right to do as you wish. But I hope if people do decide to ask for refunds it's for genuine financial reasons and not some misguided attempt at revenge on the Aussies.

Sinking our own World Cup on purpose is the quickest route to giving the NRL everything it wants. 

1 minute ago, Toby Chopra said:

It's your money so you've every right to do as you wish. But I hope if people do decide to ask for refunds it's for genuine financial reasons and not some misguided attempt at revenge on the Aussies.

Sinking our own World Cup on purpose is the quickest route to giving the NRL everything it wants. 

To be fair, are you confident it will go ahead next year? And even if it does, do you think it will be difficult to secure tickets?

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Literally the only reason we, like our Cousins on the dark side, have our World Cups in odd years is to actively avoid the 3 biggest sporting Events in the world - the World Cup, the Olympics and the Euros. 

and foxy malones las vegas topless boxing big bash bonanza - winner takes all (off) competition

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I agree to be honest, but moving the world cup is capitulation.

Capitulation to what? A quixotic last stand when facing certain defeat may feel good in the moment, but the end result is still destruction. 

We need to do what's best for the health of Northern Hemisphere rugby league and if (and we don't know all the facts) but if that means retreat and live to fight another day, then so be it. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, The One said:

I've bought quite a few tickets for the tournament, if I'm honest and I don't take glee in this, if it's postponed I will be asking for a refund rather than moving my tickets to next year.

The opportunity to have several hundred quid back at the moment is too tempting over waiting to see if it actually does happen next year.

Whether I end up buying tickets again next year is another story but it's not guaranteed.

Booked the weekend in Newcastle for both games plus Emirates for semi-final, not sure if i can be bothered anymore if its true.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

To be fair, are you confident it will go ahead next year? And even if it does, do you think it will be difficult to secure tickets?

No, I'm absolutely not confident. But I'm pretty confident I'll get a refund if its eventually cancelled, so I'll hang on to my tickets for now.

I bought tickets well in advance for 2021, largely because I was excited for the tournament, and although they are testing that enthusiasm mightily, I'm still looking forward to it overall. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Capitulation to what? A quixotic last stand when facing certain defeat may feel good in the moment, but the end result is still destruction. 

We need to do what's best for the health of Northern Hemisphere rugby league and if (and we don't know all the facts) but if that means retreat and live to fight another day, then so be it. 

If the reasons for that are that the NRL clubs, through their proxy the ARLC, can dictate to other national governing bodies that their players won't be released for a World Cup then by capitulating we will be open for this to happen again and again.

That leaves international league far weaker.

Edited by Tommygilf
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

But outside regular RL circles the 2021 tournament is dead already. 

No good outcomes left, the NRL has seen to that, just looking for the least bad ones now. 

I think the exact opposite. Only us on here (the RL circle knows who Tommy Turbo and co are). For everyone else it's just the event as it stands 

A good outcome would be to play the WC this year with some form of Aus and NZ invitational or indigenous sides 

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

If the reasons for that are that the NRL clubs, through their proxy the ARLC, can dictate to other national governing bodies that their players won't be released for a World Cup then by capitulating we will be open for this to happen again and again.

The fact that the other nations don't exist in any meaningful form if the NRL won't release players is the issue that has now been settled emphatically in the NRL's favour.

They will celebrate it by not holding any internationals outside of Australia.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

At this stage I'm less worried about international rugby league, but more that if the 2021 tournament goes belly up like 2000 the direct effect on UK rugby league could be be bad.

As we're discussing on other threads, we're at a crux domestically too, and we need a successful world cup to help relaunch ourselves. 

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Because there will be pre World Cup friendlies for association football that will bump us I suspect. As a sponsor next year I am picking the commonwealth games, not the RLWC either. 

You aren't getting the same audiences or spending the same money though. 

4 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I think the exact opposite. Only us on here (the RL circle knows who Tommy Turbo and co are). For everyone else it's just the event as it stands 

A good outcome would be to play the WC this year with some form of Aus and NZ invitational or indigenous sides 

I mean, it may be that awareness of RL is so utterly pitiful that we can hold a world cup without the winners of the last 11 titles (or whatever it is) and no one will notice. But I think even we're not that bad. 

5 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

People will ask for a refund, they´ll probably be entitled to one. No government funding will be available next year and dutton will be long gone before a 2022 tournament takes place. 

What about all those hotels across the country who have bookings for match weekends especially Newcastle with 2 games on opening weekend, booked mine when they said it was on !!!

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You aren't getting the same audiences or spending the same money though. 

What you are saying people that go to Rugby League don't go to Football ?

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The fact that the other nations don't exist in any meaningful form if the NRL won't release players is the issue that has now been settled emphatically in the NRL's favour.

They will celebrate it by not holding any internationals outside of Australia.

Exactly 

50 minutes ago, Devon Ram said:

What world do you live in !!! we wont get a better chance then this Autumn to showcase Rugby League, you cant have it both ways moan don't get enough media coverage then happy where going up against the Football World cup plus other events. 2022 is bloody stupid time to have it full stop.

2021 would be better. We all agree on that. All I'm saying is 2022 is doable.

I wasn't expecting wall-to-wall media coverage in 2021 even if there was no Covid and no issues with our Australian cousins. Were you? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

2021 would be better. We all agree on that. All I'm saying is 2022 is doable.

I wasn't expecting wall-to-wall media coverage in 2021 even if there was no Covid and no issues with our Australian cousins. Were you? 

Nope but we wont get the coverage from the BBC in 2022 due to the Football plus Commonwealth Game, i understand people are saying that it doesn't clash 100% with the World Cup but the press media & BBC will be all over it leading up to the start of the Football has said on this post its something the Aussies don't get.

• Like 2

Just now, Devon Ram said:

Nope but we wont get the coverage from the BBC in 2022 due to the Football plus Commonwealth Game, i understand people are saying that it doesn't clash 100% with the World Cup but the press media & BBC will be all over it leading up to the start of the Football has said on this post its something the Aussies don't get.

The Commonwealth Games is in July/August and, frankly, if anyone gave a monkey's about it it'll be long forgotten by the time of the RLWC.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Devon Ram said:

Commonwealths are in summer and the WC is end of November.

Play in October and were golden, get Harry Kane et al wishing us luck etc, a winter of sport could be good! 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas