Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

59 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Has a timeframe for any decision been mentioned at all?

Four minutes.

• Haha 6

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

10 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I know it’s a little far fetched but what’s the odds on the NRL seeking to bankrupt the game over here? Then take it over? 

Very far-fetched - I doubt they'd bother with the second part of that plan. :kolobok_wink:

• Haha 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

In the long term this has to be a wake up call to everyone in the game from Junior amateur club Chairmen and coaches right the way through every level of the professional game and the RFL. Most of all the warring Chairmen and Chief Execs of Superleague need to stop bickering, stop being selfish and stop being myopic about their own club and understand they are charged with the wellbeing of this great game.

We need to pull together like never before and become stronger than we’ve ever been! I mean that in every sense of the sport, financially, participation, player pathways, marketing, broadcasting and media to name but a few areas into which we need to pour effort and resources.

We need to be vibrant and strong so that we can bring into effect a balance of power across the two hemispheres. 

If this episode doesn’t drive that message home to those who matter then they themselves are part of the problem!

Edited by OMEGA
  • Like 9

I think people would be more sympathetic with the ARLC and the NZRL if they were desperately trying to get to the WC. They clearly aren’t interested in attending and COVID then becomes a convenient excuse.

Rather than wishing everyone else a successful,event, their attitude smacks of hoping the WC fails. I am shocked how brazenly this is being played out. 

A potential schism that has been smouldering for years is now looking like a gaping divide. The weakness of RL in the Northern hemisphere is being taken advantage of in a shameless way.

• Like 5

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

I didn’t think I could dislike the Aussies any more until 2 days ago.

Now they’re up there with the distain I have for Bradford & Maurice Lyndsey so at least it’s nice to learn something new. 

At least this way we’ll see the lengths they’ll go to as they perpetuate their “player welfare” lie. Scumbags is the nicest word I can conjure at the moment.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

In reality the Government of Queensland has told the NRL one more covid breach and they'll shut down the comp... I have a feeling australia and nz would then play.

This shows that the COVID protocols for the WC aren’t the problem. The issue would be all players respecting them. There have been too many beaches where players have ignored the protocols, even at the risk of losing lucrative contracts. 

I'm not sure their participation is any more likely if the NRL comp cannot be completed. The WC would still affect some preseason training.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Well, I didn't think anything positive would come out of this shambles but at least I have found a new hobby.

I find sarcastically replying to Phil Gould's inane Tweets to be remarkably therapeutic.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Well, I didn't think anything positive would come out of this shambles but at least I have found a new hobby.

I find sarcastically replying to Phil Gould's inane Tweets to be remarkably therapeutic.

I used to completely loathe him, grew to respect his views but now he’s just a sell out!

sad really!

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

You know he is trolling but its hard to resist.

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

So what are all the countries saying? Are Samoa, Tonga, PNG, Fiji etc. all stating that they intend to play?

No. They’re all either awaiting further information or consulting players, it seems. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

This is an interesting view:

vqONycF-_normal.jpg

Brad Takairangi

@Bradtaka_
· Jul 23
Aus and NZ pull out of #RLWC2021 . How about the Indigenous all stars and Maori all star teams take their place?? 🤔🤔

Seen a quote from Blake Ferguson supporting this idea, says he'd love to play as would others he knows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

So what are all the countries saying? Are Samoa, Tonga, PNG, Fiji etc. all stating that they intend to play?

Well this is their best chance ever of major honours in any sport, coupled with a shot of decent prize money with one of the above odds on to make the final infront of the biggest crowd they will ever run out in front of at OT.

Or they could just not bother?

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

No. They’re all either awaiting further information or consulting players, it seems. 

Lets see if the supposed toughest men in sport live up to their reputations, at the end of the day if they are that good then NRL clubs would never drop them.. or they could play in Europe

Personally I think they are a disgrace for pulling out.

Now I will cut to the chase.

The World Cup MUST go ahead with or without them.No one team(or club)is bigger than the sport.

And I would give Australia and New Zealand 48 hours grace to change their minds.

And if after 48 hours grace,they still refuse to partake then get hard.Expel them from ALL international tournaments and countries turn around and refuse to tour both countries.Expel the NRL clubs from any international club tournament(s)...PERMANENTLY and without exception or mercy.

Time to show them some teeth and prove to them that we can not only bark but bite as well.And hard.

• Like 3

There are a few on here in favour of Maori and Aboriginal teams filling the slots, personally I'm against it simply because it runs the risk of making the WC look completely tinpot if one of them wins, or worse we get a NZ Maori vs. Aus Indigenous final.

Plus you know the Aussie press would just love it if the Indigenous side won because they can then spin the line that RL in the wider world is so ###### that teams can't even beat a side that isn't even the "real" Australian squad.

1 minute ago, MidlandsJohn said:

There are a few on here in favour of Maori and Aboriginal teams filling the slots, personally I'm against it simply because it runs the risk of making the WC look completely tinpot if one of them wins, or worse we get a NZ Maori vs. Aus Indigenous final.

Plus you know the Aussie press would just love it if the Indigenous side won because they can then spin the line that RL in the wider world is so ###### that teams can't even beat a side that isn't even the "real" Australian squad.

Yes, these are good points

• John Drake changed the title to Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)
  • John Drake locked and unlocked this topic