North Wales Crusaders

Peter Winthorpe

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that game, set and match?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Lot of questions to be asked after this performance!!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Absolute garbage.

Error after error, penalty after penalty.

When I saw the team sheet I expected a defeat but not by this much. Some of the selections for such a big game are baffling, why would you go into this game with 2 very inexperienced wingers, why was Caine on the bench, where’s Henson ?

Golden opportunity today and completely blown it. 

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

12 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Absolute garbage.

Error after error, penalty after penalty.

When I saw the team sheet I expected a defeat but not by this much. Some of the selections for such a big game are baffling, why would you go into this game with 2 very inexperienced wingers, why was Caine on the bench, where’s Henson ?

Golden opportunity today and completely blown it. 

Believe Henson is injured. Who would you of put on the wings as I assume Wellington is injured and fell still unavailable?

Wow , I watched the teams warm up today and saw the team sheet and I thought this could be a tough  day , and basically after the first minute we were never in it . We were totally done over physically and outmuscled , they punched holes in us for basic tries , then as expected went wide and did us , and by the end were cutting us up through the ruck . We had no answers today unfortunately  . Lots of running around in circles going nowhere and poor defensively .We really got beat , manhandled and done over . We need some reinforcements back soon as possible .Holroyd was very good but was a bit of a lone battle offensively . They were good , direct and good basics , and controlled the game 

4 minutes ago, wiganlad said:

Believe Henson is injured. Who would you of put on the wings as I assume Wellington is injured and fell still unavailable?

I’d have moved Wellington onto the wing and put Jake Moore in the centre with Barnes in 2nd row for a start.

I think the coach made a mistake going with the size on the bench rather than starting,  we were dominated from the 5th minute onwards. But got to give it the Welsh team, very well coached and a solid game plan, based on power and size and we couldn't handle it. Lost the majority of tackles and that makes things hard, added to poor discipline and your on the back foot.

7 minutes ago, Derwent said:

I’d have moved Wellington onto the wing and put Jake Moore in the centre with Barnes in 2nd row for a start.

I would always rather use players in their proper positions rather than make loads of positional changes to fit them in really. But the wings wasn't the problem anyway, we were totally monstered up the middle and lost nearly every tackle. 

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

I would always rather use players in their proper positions rather than make loads of positional changes to fit them in really. But the wings wasn't the problem anyway, we were totally monstered up the middle and lost nearly every tackle. 

Yes but sometimes needs must and putting Jake in centre isn’t a gamble cos he’s played there quite a few times and done fine. It allows us to have an extra forward on the field to combat the lack of size.

11 minutes ago, dkw said:

Generally agree but I think we needed a bit more size today . You’re dead right though , what filtered out wide started in the middle . The Ah Van try was really terrible either way , it was next to us the guy should have been in row 10

Totally out played today, NWC had size in the middle and 2 good half backs played off the go forward, hate to say it but we never looked liked troubling them, there simple game worked a treat, we had no answer.

hopefully get some players back for next week .

I think for most of the season we’ve probably exceeded our expectations given the young squad and relative lack of size in the forwards. That was shown today by a very dominant physical side. We were never able to get the game played at a speed that would utilise our mobility in the forwards due to their physical dominance and constant lying on which slowed everything down. A bad day at the office,  let’s hope we get some bodies back over the next 3 weeks and do a bit of try line defence in training!!

3 minutes ago, IanMac said:

I think for most of the season we’ve probably exceeded our expectations given the young squad and relative lack of size in the forwards. That was shown today by a very dominant physical side. We were never able to get the game played at a speed that would utilise our mobility in the forwards due to their physical dominance and constant lying on which slowed everything down. A bad day at the office,  let’s hope we get some bodies back over the next 3 weeks and do a bit of try line defence in training!!

I think this is spot on mate . We’re analysing and criticising today , but overall we’ve been super consistent over every single game and given our squad have probably over achieved . All you can do now is react the right way as the best sides do 

Archived