Jump to content

Sat 4 Sept: SL Magic: St Helens v Catalans Dragons KO 17:15 (TV)


Who will win?  

25 members have voted

  1. 1. Who will win?

    • St Helens
      14
    • Catalans Dragons
      11

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/09/21 at 16:45

Recommended Posts


1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

As for trajectories there's nowhere else for Saints to go given they're back to back champions. As for Leeds, I seriously doubt the signing's you've made are suddenly going to catapult them back to the top and its not that hard to improve from where they currently are, a mediocre, under-performing, mid-table team with an average head coach with a pretty poor track record of success.

LOL I fear for your health next season 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FearTheVee said:

Just watched the Paasi tackle in slo-mo.  Think 2 matches is about right - it's not one of those turn the shoulder and attack side on, he's front.chest on with Langi and tries to put a big shot on but gets it wrong.

I’m all for the ‘big shot’ but not at the head.  He started at the head level and worked up higher.  

The question we have to ask is whether he had time to reposition.  IMO he had enough time to drop down and wrap his arms but Paasi chose to hit Langi high.  Lazy and careless effort.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I’m all for the ‘big shot’ but not at the head.  He started at the head level and worked up higher.  

The question we have to ask is whether he had time to reposition.  IMO he had enough time to drop down and wrap his arms but Paasi chose to hit Langi high.  Lazy and careless effort.

 

Yeah,2 games is very lenient but I’m sure he’s “not that sort” of player 😂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, barnyia said:

What's the play off system? 1st versus  winner of 4v5 or 3v6? 

First against lowest placed winner of the first round of play off games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

I can just see the pre-match team talk now, Woolf to Bentley - "Right James i've got a challenge for you, do you think you can try and get yourself sin-binned and put the team under pressure in every match between now and the end of the season" 

Your just worried MjM that you'll hardly see him in a Leeds shirt due to suspensions. If he's like this now in a successful team imagine what he'll be like in a struggling mid-table team like Leeds

You are quite emotional aren't you, you have never got over all those Grand Final defeats. Get some therapy for your bitterness.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Bentley out indefinitely with spinal ligament damage following Kasiano's crusher tackle.

Will have played his last game for us. Hopefully it isn't as serious as thought and it doesn't delay or impact his start to his Leeds career.

Well there you go, makes the Disciplinary committee truly look stupid again.

Bentley suffers a serious spinal injury as a result of an illegal crusher tackle and Kasiano doesn't even get charged let alone suspended

St.Helens - The Home of Rugby Champions

Saints Men's team - Triple Champions & Double Winners ; Saints Women's team - Treble Winners ; Thatto Heath - National Conference Champions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Spidey said:

Ah... so you don't take concussion seriously then.  2 Games is very lenient

As lenient as No Charge for Kasiano who's put Bentley in hospital with a potentially career threatening injury ?

  • Confused 1

St.Helens - The Home of Rugby Champions

Saints Men's team - Triple Champions & Double Winners ; Saints Women's team - Treble Winners ; Thatto Heath - National Conference Champions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Well there you go, makes the Disciplinary committee truly look stupid again.

Bentley suffers a serious spinal injury as a result of an illegal crusher tackle and Kasiano doesn't even get charged let alone suspended

Why does the injury mean the "Disciplinary committee" got anything wrong?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, M j M said:

Why does the injury mean the "Disciplinary committee" got anything wrong?

Because crusher tackles are illegal in our game whether they are intentional or accidental, and arguably cause more serious, career threatening and long term injuries than a high tackle. Bentley suffered a spinal injury as a direct result of a crusher tackle yet the disciplinary chose to not even bother charging Kasiano.

I guess we'll have to wait & see the outcome of his scans & medical assessment to see whether its a short term injury he'll recover from or a long term one he may never fully recover from. But either way the fact remains the injury was cause by a tackle that has been deemed to be illegal under the laws of the game.

Saints may lose him for a few games but Leeds may lose him for an extended period as a result of Kasiano's illegal tackle. I take it as a Leeds fan MjM you have no issues then with possibly not having Bentley play for you for an extended period next year ?

Edited by Saint Toppy

St.Helens - The Home of Rugby Champions

Saints Men's team - Triple Champions & Double Winners ; Saints Women's team - Treble Winners ; Thatto Heath - National Conference Champions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Because crusher tackles are illegal in our game whether they are intentional or accidental, and arguably cause more serious, career threatening and long term injuries than a high tackle. Bentley suffered a spinal injury as a direct result of a crusher tackle yet the disciplinary chose to not even bother charging Kasiano.

I guess we'll have to wait & see the outcome of his scans & medical assessment to see whether its a short term injury he'll recover from or a long term one he may never fully recover from. But either way the fact remains the injury was cause by a tackle that has been deemed to be illegal under the laws of the game.

Saints may lose him for a few games but Leeds may lose him for an extended period as a result of Kasiano's illegal tackle. I take it as a Leeds fan MjM you have no issues then with possibly not having Bentley play for you for an extended period next year ?

The MRP decided the tackle wasn't worthy of further punishment. I trust their judgement more than an agitated Saints fan.

I'm disappointed if this disrupts the start to his Leeds career but we've overcome bigger hurdles to win stuff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, M j M said:

The MRP decided the tackle wasn't worthy of further punishment. I trust their judgement more than an agitated Saints fan.

 

Which just goes to show how incompetent and inconsistent the disciplinary are. Bentley didn't crush his own neck/spine it was caused by Kasiano, and by the RFL's own laws its an illegal tackle and worthy of punishment by the disciplinary panel.

St.Helens - The Home of Rugby Champions

Saints Men's team - Triple Champions & Double Winners ; Saints Women's team - Treble Winners ; Thatto Heath - National Conference Champions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Which just goes to show how incompetent and inconsistent the disciplinary are. 

And can you share with us your qualifications in judging the matter?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Attacking player tucks his head and is part of the actions of the tackle in pulling the defending player onto him."

This was the MRP's version of events. I can generally take disciplinary decisions on the chin and prefer it when punishments are seen as too harsh, especially for high tackles.

I could accept the MRP's account if it said that Kasiano's tackle was an accident or even not worthy of punishment. But I find it hard to accept the implication that Bentley caused the incident.

Twitter: @TrylineUK
Latest Blog: Rugby League's Cornish Adventure

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, M j M said:

And can you share with us your qualifications in judging the matter?

You don't need qualifications the outcome of the tackle is there for all to see.

Bentley received a potentially serious spinal injury as a result of a crusher tackle from Kasiaono. The RFL laws state this is an illegal tackle worthy of punishment by the disciplinary. But they chose to not even charge him for the illegal tackle that has resulted in an injury to an opposition player.

St.Helens - The Home of Rugby Champions

Saints Men's team - Triple Champions & Double Winners ; Saints Women's team - Treble Winners ; Thatto Heath - National Conference Champions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

You don't need qualifications the outcome of the tackle is there for all to see.

Bentley received a potentially serious spinal injury as a result of a crusher tackle from Kasiaono. The RFL laws state this is an illegal tackle worthy of punishment by the disciplinary. But they chose to not even charge him for the illegal tackle that has resulted in an injury to an opposition player.

If he got two matches he'd still be free for the semi, he'll probably be rested against Huddersfield or Wigan anyway, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

You don't need qualifications the outcome of the tackle is there for all to see.

Bentley received a potentially serious spinal injury as a result of a crusher tackle from Kasiaono. The RFL laws state this is an illegal tackle worthy of punishment by the disciplinary. But they chose to not even charge him for the illegal tackle that has resulted in an injury to an opposition player.

The "outcome of the tackle" though is (should be) largely irrelevant to the decision making process.

In this case it wasn't deemed worthy of further sanction by people who look at this stuff every week, have studied all the angles repeatedly and actually know the protocols.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/09/2021 at 08:37, Saint Toppy said:

I don't think your in the minority, this season Bentley has been a total liability to the point where Woolf will have to make a tough decision on whether to pick him or not, he's turned into another Willie Isa.

I've noticed your anti-Bentley stance has strangely coincided with his decision to join a bigger club in Leeds. He's no Isa.

He was arguably Saints' best in last year's Grand Final win, absolutely tireless in making a staggering 69 tackles. And he was integral to Saints winning their opening 6 matches before his injury in April. At 23, a massive loss for St Helens.

Bentley is a tremendous forward, potentially the 'new Bateman', and he'll be just fine under Richard Agar in 2022. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, M j M said:

Why does the injury mean the "Disciplinary committee" got anything wrong?

Just a guess, really, but might it because of who he plays for this season?

Four legs good - two legs bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...