Rule changes for 2022 (Merged threads)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tabby said:

Obviously your mate now does.

Yeah, I took 3 of them and they loved it. Probably not enough to go to Wakefield away on a Thursday night but they’ll be chomping at the bit to go to the CC final next year I reckon. 

7 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

I didn’t think I would miss scrums if they went but I did. It made the game look more one dimensional.

Me too, I'm glad that scrums are returning. It will be good to see 'set plays' happen a gain from a scrum, particularly when a team is in their opponents half.

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Another example of why running onto the pitch in jersey's 1 to 13 would be refreshing... we could actually see what positions people are playing.  Crazy thought I know!

I agree,but having players' names on their shirts makes this slightly more problematical.

5 hours ago, M j M said:

No it means referee-sanctioned interference, grinding the opposition into the ground, looking up at the referee for clearance to stop laying on, plus the legacy of the chicken wings and cannonballs which appeared over here in about 2010.

No idea what "grinding the opposition into the ground" means specifically.

Working on the ground (moving the tackled player after the tackle is complete) is illegal and always has been.

Flopping in (defender involving himself after the tackle is complete) is illegal and always has been.

As a term to describe RL tackling, "the wrestle" is a nonsense. A verity underlined by your extraneous reference to chicken-wing and cannonball tackles. Both of which are also illegal.

I always dread these off-season articles that mention rule changes.  But thank God, for once, I agree with every one of them.  They are basically just righting some wrongs.  A few examples of NRL "innovation/experimentation" gone too far.  Nice to see common sense prevail.

38 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

No idea what "grinding the opposition into the ground" means specifically.

Working on the ground (moving the tackled player after the tackle is complete) is illegal and always has been.

Flopping in (defender involving himself after the tackle is complete) is illegal and always has been.

As a term to describe RL tackling, "the wrestle" is a nonsense. A verity underlined by your extraneous reference to chicken-wing and cannonball tackles. Both of which are also illegal.

If you haven't seen the levels of on-ground interference and lying on over the past decade then I worry you might be watching a different sport to the rest of us.

49 minutes ago, M j M said:

If you haven't seen the levels of on-ground interference and lying on over the past decade then I worry you might be watching a different sport to the rest of us.

I draw a clear distinction between before and after the tackle is complete, based on the fundamental rules of the game. Many of those who use terms like "the wrestle" tend to make no such distinction. Unless you can be more specific than you`ve managed hitherto, I will have to assume you fall into the latter category.

17 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Yes, might be worth changing the thread title to 'rule changes for 2022' if the moderators ( @John Drake ) get a minute.

A good set of changes. Shame they aren't doing anything with six again.

Yes indeed.  Six again rule should in my view only apply to tackle two or three onwards. Zero, one and two offences should still be penalties.

I'd add the following actions to support the rule changes.

1. Ref must not call players by their first names. Weakens their authority.  Too matey. 

2. Refs to apply all current rules...no second chances.

3. Only the captain to speak to ref.

4. Penalise players waving hands at ref after a tackle. it was so windy at the GF that it nearly blew my hairpiece off..and I was only watching on TV. 

5. Players names TLAs should be illegal, too. Its Louise  McCarthy Scarsbrook, not LMS.

6. All press releases to be proofed before  issue. Some apallling irroers in this one.

So as the RFL are completely incompetent and don't believe it is their job to tell us, can anybody explain what the change to the injured player process is going to be? 

Iirc there have been issues in the NRL with player injuries and when the game has been stopped, or have I imagined that? 

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

So as the RFL are completely incompetent and don't believe it is their job to tell us, can anybody explain what the change to the injured player process is going to be? 

Iirc there have been issues in the NRL with player injuries and when the game has been stopped, or have I imagined that? 

Under NRL rules to protect player safety, trainers have the right to ask referees to stop play if they believe one of their players has suffered a serious injury. However the NRL also has a rule that means clubs & trainers can be fined & sanctioned if they later discover that the game was stopped for something other than a serious injury in order to provide an advantage to their team.

So clubs can be docked points and trainers lose their licences for cheating. Not seen anything in the SL press release that states they are taking it to this level, just applying the same on-field rules as the NRL.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

Yeah, I took 3 of them and they loved it. Probably not enough to go to Wakefield away on a Thursday night but they’ll be chomping at the bit to go to the CC final next year I reckon. 

to be fair i've been a fan for longer than i dare to remember, played the game winter and summer and I still wouldnt want to go to an away match at Wakefield on a Thursday night :kolobok_ph34r:

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

1. Ref must not call players by their first names. Weakens their authority.  Too matey. 

Even worse is ref's calling players by their nicknames... I used to wince every time a ref called Andy Farrell 'Faz' like he was a kid at school looking to be his best friend.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• 2 months later...

Looks like they are trying to cut out some of the abuse of the six-again rule, always interesting with rule changes to see what the unintended consequences are.

NRL 2022: The rule change designed to stop six-again controversy (theaustralian.com.au)

It can be revealed the one rule change that will be introduced for 2022 relates to getting rid of the six-again call for attacking teams coming out of their own end.

Instead, defensive teams will again be penalised for infringements inside the 40m zone.

I don`t mind this on the face of it.

Archived