Jump to content

French TV Deal


Recommended Posts

What is the current state of play with a Super League tv deal in France? 
I know there was previously a deal as every Catalans home game was also broadcast on sky sports using the French feed. I believe Elstone ended that deal as it was only bringing in a small amount of money (I can’t remember the figure). Was a new deal ever agreed? Is there a deal in place for 2022?
 

To me Catalans and Toulouse should be alternating home and away to give one home game in France every week. If we gave both French clubs immunity from relegation we’d be in a strong position to negotiate a lucrative tv deal in France and bring new money into the sport, something that is desperately needed. Is it guaranteed to be a success and work? No, but it would be a massive missed opportunity not to try, surely we are not in a position to pass that up? 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


It should be on Davy as SLE chairman and Rimmer as RFL CEO to be proactive in this. Put together a package including (at least) 1 guaranteed England v France game per season, 1 home game each week for one of the two sides and a flagship event (whether that be Toulouse v Cats @ Camp Nou/ Velodrome/ continuing with them at Magic Weekend).

If they're foolish enough to not allow TO an initial stay from relegation; then include a penalty clause sufficient enough for a broadcaster to continue showing their games in  the Championship and enter into a long-term agreement.

Build up OURLeague so that French fans can watch their side away from home. This is now possible with the new Sky deal delivering their production infrastructure to every SL game. 

There's plenty more you could do besides. My fear is it'll be the same laissez-faire 'it's up to them to sort it out for us' attitude.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the new Sky deal they can do even better, they can have 1 home match each week (filmed by them presumably) and 1 away match each week (since Sky will be filming all of these to broadcast level in the UK).

Something I was wondering re: the Sky deal, will we be due some money back for the games Sky agreed to film (i.e. all) that will now be in France and presumably filmed by someone else?

  • Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

What is the current state of play with a Super League tv deal in France? 
I know there was previously a deal as every Catalans home game was also broadcast on sky sports using the French feed. I believe Elstone ended that deal as it was only bringing in a small amount of money (I can’t remember the figure). Was a new deal ever agreed? Is there a deal in place for 2022?
 

To me Catalans and Toulouse should be alternating home and away to give one home game in France every week. If we gave both French clubs immunity from relegation we’d be in a strong position to negotiate a lucrative tv deal in France and bring new money into the sport, something that is desperately needed. Is it guaranteed to be a success and work? No, but it would be a massive missed opportunity not to try, surely we are not in a position to pass that up? 

I'm sure you were trolling on another thread a mere two days ago that a French TV deal is an absolute certainty.

 

Edited by David Shepherd
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Local sauce has informed me 1895 Sports subscriptions have been cancelled in WN7 alone in recent weeks

How many is that as a percentage of total sky sports subscriptions in Leigh, and what is the usual drop off at the end of a season? 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

French RU gets massive TV and council investment, it should be very easy to get a £4/5m tv deal for SL plus the huge lcal authority war chests used for sport eg recently a French council gave a RU club a 34000 seat stadium.

Interesting that French RU top 2 divisions are FT with P&R but meet as 30 clubs, unlike SL and Championships - 2 x SL tens/twelves anyone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Red or Brown?.

or no sauce at all.😃

I'm interested in that drive, that rush to judgment, that is so prevalent in our society. We all know that pleasurable rush that comes from condemning, and in the short term it's quite a satisfying thing to do, isn't it?

J. K. Rowling

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

French RU gets massive TV and council investment, it should be very easy to get a £4/5m tv deal for SL plus the huge lcal authority war chests used for sport eg recently a French council gave a RU club a 34000 seat stadium.

Interesting that French RU top 2 divisions are FT with P&R but meet as 30 clubs, unlike SL and Championships - 2 x SL tens/twelves anyone

If it’s so easy to get a £4-5m TV deal to show Cats and Toulouse games I wonder if you might tell SL how it’s done? I’m sure they and the clubs would appreciate it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Call Peter V'Landys

Super League already knows how to get a smaller TV deal

  • Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

French RU gets massive TV and council investment, it should be very easy to get a £4/5m tv deal for SL plus the huge lcal authority war chests used for sport eg recently a French council gave a RU club a 34000 seat stadium.

Interesting that French RU top 2 divisions are FT with P&R but meet as 30 clubs, unlike SL and Championships - 2 x SL tens/twelves anyone

Yeah clearly it's super duper easy. You should lead the negotiations 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

If it’s so easy to get a £4-5m TV deal to show Cats and Toulouse games I wonder if you might tell SL how it’s done? I’m sure they and the clubs would appreciate it. 

I have no allegiance to SL and they couldn't afford my terms. 

That figure is based upon 4-5% of the RU deal

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

I have no allegiance to SL and they couldn't afford my terms. 

That figure is based upon 4-5% of the RU deal

Do you also think it would be easy for SL to get a TV deal worth 4-5% of the premier league’s? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Call Peter V'Landys

Peter negotiated a billion dollar NRL deal and is proposing a 17th team in the NRL 

 

I believe we should pass all sky negotiations onto the NRL 

Edited by The storm
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...