Staggered.

Got to say this business of having all the major Rugby League competitions both sides of the equator finishing within a week of each other has got whiskers on it.

Given that it`s unlikely you going back to a winter competition or because of P & R your Championship or League One going to winter I wonder if it would be worth the while of the English Rugby League and the NRL to either time their women`s competitions to go right over Christmas, maybe with a two week break over Christmas, or end the competitions around the middle of December.

I think it could work for the women because as the teams are from the major clubs on both sides of the equator, it would be an easy switch for followers of the men`s teams to switch over to following the women. It would also allow it a bit of clear air and given the refreshing style of play we`ve seen in the girls game mightn`t be a bad product for our governing bodies to sell to the broadcasters. Anyway just a thought.

2 of the next 3 years starting Oct 22 will have a WC played Oct to Nov, so that pretty much rules them out. The women's game in the UK is undergoing rapid growth, playing in the cold, wet and miserable autumn/winter here probably isn't going to help that and neither will it attract RU players to try the game. Also, wouldn't it be a bit harsh making the NRL women play in the heat of an Australian summer?

I can completely understand the logic but the game in the UK is now played in summer for very good reasons. These reasons all apply to the women's game too. The women's game should compliment the men's, not just be an add on at the end of the season. I know this is not your intention but I think it would feel a little like that. Also it isn't going to work with the World Cup etc.

@Whippet13@Damien Thanks for your replies, it really was just a bit of a thought bubble given the lack of live high quality League at the moment. 

Certainly the WC`s would put a spanner in the works the next couple of years and maybe right over Christmas mightn`t work because of the weather. Certainly my intention was for it never to be something tacked on at the end of the season.

I just thought given the recognisable names and the clear air from the mens comps it might be staggered so it is timed to end a few weeks later so we could all sit back and enjoy the womens comp. Which is turning out to be a damned good competition.

With so many competitions culminating at once these days around the end of October I for one just don`t have time or inclination to watch everything. I know come weekends right now I`d love to have a bit of high quality League on the telly and that could especially be the case if it was leading up to the womens finals series and the GF. Anyway, who knows maybe one day we`ll have regular internationals to fill the void.👍

1 minute ago, The Rocket said:

@Whippet13@Damien Thanks for your replies, it really was just a bit of a thought bubble given the lack of live high quality League at the moment. 

Certainly the WC`s would put a spanner in the works the next couple of years and maybe right over Christmas mightn`t work because of the weather. Certainly my intention was for it never to be something tacked on at the end of the season.

I just thought given the recognisable names and the clear air from the mens comps it might be staggered so it is timed to end a few weeks later so we could all sit back and enjoy the womens comp. Which is turning out to be a damned good competition.

With so many competitions culminating at once these days around the end of October I for one just don`t have time or inclination to watch everything. I know come weekends right now I`d love to have a bit of high quality League on the telly and that could especially be the case if it was leading up to the womens finals series and the GF. Anyway, who knows maybe one day we`ll have regular internationals to fill the void.👍

Or a WC even ? 😉

What they need to do is increase SL to 14 sides, reduce the games by booting loop fixtures and allow the game to breathe with space for mid season internationals, women's game etc.

My hope would be another French side down the line as part of that.

There is just too much on the go at the moment to watch it all - although I appreciate COVID has impacted fixtures and the flow of the game heavily.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Got to say this business of having all the major Rugby League competitions both sides of the equator finishing within a week of each other has got whiskers on it.

Given that it`s unlikely you going back to a winter competition or because of P & R your Championship or League One going to winter I wonder if it would be worth the while of the English Rugby League and the NRL to either time their women`s competitions to go right over Christmas, maybe with a two week break over Christmas, or end the competitions around the middle of December.

I think it could work for the women because as the teams are from the major clubs on both sides of the equator, it would be an easy switch for followers of the men`s teams to switch over to following the women. It would also allow it a bit of clear air and given the refreshing style of play we`ve seen in the girls game mightn`t be a bad product for our governing bodies to sell to the broadcasters. Anyway just a thought.

I'm more likely to watch Featherstone's Ladies in the summer than I am in winter.  I just don't fancy 2 hours outdoors in the freezing cold.

1 minute ago, David Shepherd said:

I'm more likely to watch Featherstone's Ladies in the summer than I am in winter.  I just don't fancy 2 hours outdoors in the freezing cold.

Tart , what's up with you ? 😉

I'm just unlikely to watch any Women's RL whenever or wherever it's played 😉

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Tart , what's up with you ? 😉

I'm just unlikely to watch any Women's RL whenever or wherever it's played 😉

Old age and a fondness for either sunshine or central heating. 🤪

I quite enjoy the women's game, but I'm not sure I'd make a special trip to watch them. Double headers are a good day out, especially if management authorises all day drinking.

23 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Featherstone’s Ladies …. is that an oxymoron Dave?

Tin hat on and off to bed 😄

There used to be a woman selling fruit in an open air market, near me and she used to shout out ''wrap your gums around my plums!''.

When someone challenged her and said they thought it a bit rough she shouted... '' you cheeky b......rd, I'm a f.....ng lady right!''. 

So it can take all sorts, to make a ladies team. 

4 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I get the idea, extended length RL coverage at a decent standard, but the womens game in the UK is probably the fastest growing part of the UK game and needs to be supported to support that growth, not simply to cover a TV slot. They have a SL south as well, so it's a real growth area at present.

What I would like to see though is Elite 1 made more easily accessible to the RL public. I'd happily pay for a game a week on ourleague over the winter for example, it's already being regularily filmed by the local French streaming services so surely deal could be done.

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Don't know , don't watch it myself

That’s your choice.. But you often pray on past experiences to fulfil your experience. You want something different? To fill stadia.. This is the way forward.

1 hour ago, Tabby said:

That’s your choice.. But you often pray on past experiences to fulfil your experience. You want something different? To fill stadia.. This is the way forward.

' past experience ' ? Sorry you've lost me , what bit of women's RL I've seen hasn't really grabbed my attention , but each to their own , as for the Bash , I don't really see how they'd fit in more than 7 games 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

' past experience ' ? Sorry you've lost me , what bit of women's RL I've seen hasn't really grabbed my attention , but each to their own , as for the Bash , I don't really see how they'd fit in more than 7 games 

L1 final will be missing.

On 01/11/2021 at 10:10, GUBRATS said:

I'm just unlikely to watch any Women's RL whenever or wherever it's played

It always surprises me (although I know it shouldn't) how much pride some Rugby League fans take in proclaiming that they won't watch a particular instance of the game.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

It always surprises me (although I know it shouldn't) how much pride some Rugby League fans take in proclaiming that they won't watch a particular instance of the game.

There was a 10k crowd for the England v New Zealand women`s RU game at Exeter. I looked at those Union fans enjoying their game on Sunday and wondered whether their RL equivalents would respond in similar numbers to England v Jillaroos or England v Kiwi Ferns. And concluded that a substantial proportion would either not be aware the games were happening, or at home feeling very pleased with themselves that they had no interest.

Women`s RL in the UK will have to build a new younger audience. The older contingent of RL "fans" can`t be relied upon.

7 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

There was a 10k crowd for the England v New Zealand women`s RU game at Exeter. I looked at those Union fans enjoying their game on Sunday and wondered whether their RL equivalents would respond in similar numbers to England v Jillaroos or England v Kiwi Ferns. And concluded that a substantial proportion would either not be aware the games were happening, or at home feeling very pleased with themselves that they had no interest.

Women`s RL in the UK will have to build a new younger audience. The older contingent of RL "fans" can`t be relied upon.

We will find out next year

4 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

But that didn't happen overnight. Women's RU has been played - at international level - in front of some absolutely dire crowds. The pushback we get in league now from some, not all, 'traditionalists', they had in union (and had, as well, in soccer, cricket etc) mostly happened a decade ago and now people have moved on.

Keep playing women's RL, resourcing it properly, and making it visible and we'll get to that stage too.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived