‘A £100m offer could be made next month’

1 hour ago, burnleywelsh said:

Heard the same from someone well connected:

Two division SL from 2023 has been agreed by the clubs. Div 1 looking like -Saints, Wigan, Wire, Leeds, Hull, Hull KR, Catalan, Cas, Toulouse & Huddersfield. Div 2 - Salford, Wakey, York, Fev, Leigh, Halifax, Bradford, London Broncos, Widnes & Newcastle.

100% NAILED ON:)

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, burnleywelsh said:

Two division SL from 2023 has been agreed by the clubs. Div 1 looking like -Saints, Wigan, Wire, Leeds, Hull, Hull KR, Catalan, Cas, Toulouse & Huddersfield. Div 2 - Salford, Wakey, York, Fev, Leigh, Halifax, Bradford, London Broncos, Widnes & Newcastle.

No Sheffield then?

2 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

Assuming it is 2x10, then it could be an interesting power shift with 8 clubs added to the SL structure as they would presumably all get a vote on future decisions, as will the RFL. Then there are the £100m investors who no doubt will have the biggest individual vote share even if not a controlling one. All adds up to the current position of power which the big clubs enjoy being removed, that might a bad thing given what's gone on in the past with SL but it could equally make reaching a consensus even harder in the future.

9 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

No Cumbrian team either, despite all 3 being in the Championship for 2022.

This is the problem. How do we grow the game if all the good work being done at Barrow,  Crusaders, Sheffield & Midlands Hurricanes (to name a few) gets shut down? 

This can only work if there is:

a) A clear plan to expand SL1 and SL2 when these clubs meet franchise requirements  

b) A requirement that all SL2 clubs have a full time professional environment and

c) An overhaul of the rules on player recruitment so promoted SL2 clubs are able to compete in SL1

If all 3 of these aren't met then this is merely a rebrand of the championship in an attempt to justify condensing Super League even further.

3 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

No Cornwall?

32 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Joke or not, with the reduction in TV money ten is all they can afford in the top tier.

And then in 5 years time the reduction in TV money will mean 8 is all the top tier can afford. Rinse and repeat.

You don't grow a business by reducing its assets. This either has to be a genuine top 20 divided into 2 competitions or it is doomed to failure. 

If they go two divisons of 10 they should at least make it the top 20 best teams from this season, make it on merit. Have promotion and relegation still. Ultimately as a Thunder fan if we finished outside that but Batley were in the top eight in the Championship they would deserve to be there.

18 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Is this not effectively a hard split between full-time and part-time clubs? Even if it’s not immediate it seems to me inevitable. 

It may be, but if that is the plan then it'd be nice if the powers that be can let everyone know so we can stop taking the sport seriously and move on to other things.

10 full-time clubs, 8 along 1 stretch of motorway, is not even worth bothering with. 

All it will achieve is sending a clear message to the backers behind Newcastle, York and the like that their investment and ambition is not welcome in a sport like rugby league.

7 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

Was your source, sauced at the time they tlld you this, becauise the club in Bold will struggle to make 2023. This reads more like one of the expansionist poster wet dreams on here rather than a strategic plan.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

2 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Was your source, sauced at the time they tlld you this, becauise the club in Bold will struggle to make 2023. This reads more like one of the expansionist poster wet dreams on here rather than a strategic plan.

No he wasn’t on the ‘sauce’…..I’m just relaying what a former administrator at an SL club has told me confirming what Atlantisman posted. It would be interesting  where he got his info from ?

16 hours ago, Ray Cashmere said:

And then in 5 years time the reduction in TV money will mean 8 is all the top tier can afford. Rinse and repeat.

You don't grow a business by reducing its assets. This either has to be a genuine top 20 divided into 2 competitions or it is doomed to failure. 

Play the other 9 teams in your division twice, and the 9 teams in the other division once = 26 rounds. Perfect. 

25 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

Play the other 9 teams in your division twice, and the 9 teams in the other division once = 26 rounds. Perfect. 

I hope this is how it's done and SL2 should have places in the playoffs so that it's one competition not just a rehashed and reduced SL & Championship 

Mmmm... arithmetic on a Sunday? Not happening. 

2x9 = 18

+ 10 = 28

48 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

I hope this is how it's done and SL2 should have places in the playoffs so that it's one competition not just a rehashed and reduced SL & Championship 

Mmmm... arithmetic on a Sunday? Not happening. 

2x9 = 18

+ 10 = 28

I don't think SL2 teams should be in the SL1 play offs, they should have their own for promotion to SL1. The inter-division games should be there to either boost points in SL1 or steal points for SL2, while providing a few derbies you wouldn't get otherwise (Leeds-Bradford, Widnes-Warrington).

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

4 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I don't think SL2 teams should be in the SL1 play offs, they should have their own for promotion to SL1. The inter-division games should be there to either boost points in SL1 or steal points for SL2, while providing a few derbies you wouldn't get otherwise (Leeds-Bradford, Widnes-Warrington).

Neither solves the main problem that there ain't enough dosh for 20 clubs...

8 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I don't think there will be any inter divisional games just play each other 3 times and then top 5 play offs. 1 up 1 down

7 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Neither solves the main problem that there ain't enough dosh for 20 clubs...

I think if this is a goer in the short term the £100m will be partly funding the bottom 10. With the intention the expanded competition draws in bigger takings and starts to pay for itself over time. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Agreed. Why on earth would they have league games between teams in different leagues??

That's the point, they'd be the same league.

It would be possible (but highly improbable) for a team from SL2 to win the comp. 2 promoted teams would take part in the playoffs. 

10 is too small for a viable competition. SL2 would get as much attention as the championship now.

Tiered conferences at first, but with an ambition to grow to 2 equal conferences . 

Just now, Wholly Trinity said:

That's the point, they'd be the same league.

It would be possible (but highly improbable) for a team from SL2 to win the comp. 2 promoted teams would take part in the playoffs. 

10 is too small for a viable competition. SL2 would get as much attention as the championship now.

Tiered conferences at first, but with an ambition to grow to 2 equal conferences . 

Just seems like its dumbing things down

Archived