Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

And it's over. Australia go 4 points up in the international series.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

45 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Tongue for Ali in only change to the team for the second men's test. Begs the question, why bother calling Rehan Ahmed up as cover?

Very similar to the first Test in that I don’t see us taking 20 wickets unless the Aussies make errors.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Turns out cricket is full of racists and misogynists. I'm shocked, I tell you.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

47 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Not to mention being classist and elitist.

Could that report into cricket be describing rugby union (same type of chap, different season)?

Edited by Hopping Mad

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

All I will say on this thread about it: that is a very thorough report. No wriggle room at all.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Rumour has it that having started out wanting flat and fast wickets we now have a traditional English greentop at Lords and an unbalanced England side which tells you two things:

• Stokes is not up to beiong the fifth seamer this series beause of the knee issue asnd that unbalances the side
  • Moeen Ali has not recovererd and it was always a reach to ask a player who has not bowled in red ball cricket for two years to bowl 20 overs a day in a five day test. Your body is not going to be up to it

Rehan Ahmed,  he was not going to play. Your problem being with an 18 year old you run the risk in such a big series of putting his development back by two years if the Aussies get after him or worse he does a Simon Kerrigan and disappears altogether having developed the bowling "yips" due to the occasion.

That said, it's always a risk going into a test without a spinner and selecting the four seamers means a search for a double headed coin as it means England have to win the toss and bowl.

England's brittle batting line up, under fire from some crafty sledges from Jim Maxwell always commentating for Australia about Jonny B's weight. Now if you ever read anything I post on here, I am a big fan of Jonny behind the stumps, but I confess his general keeping apart from the drops was scruffy at Edgbason. Which brings me to Marnus Labuschange's barbed comments on Joe Root's self-inflicted dismissal. the truth hurts I am afraid as I have written on here KP was publicly flayed against South Africa back in 2008 for doing a Root.

With England overly dependant on the middle order of Root, Stokes and Bairstow another defeat and the fouth estate may get stuck into Bazball for while Ben Stokes might feel England are not a results oriented side. The object of the game is to win.

Australia are a superior side with variety in their attack. The one chink in the Aussie armour is Cameron Green who with bat and ball resembles "Watto" without the LBW dismissals on the front pad. Captain Pat though has himself as Right arm fast, Hazlewood and Boland with fast medium accuracy, Lyon turning his off-breaks and the return of Mitchell Starc at the expense of either Hazlewood or Boland. Starc known as "the Mop" for his ability to clean up the tail and no doubt licking his lips at the prospect of an England tail end beginning at number 8.

England are facing Starc reality at Lords..

• Like 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Agree with everything you`ve said RED ROOSTER apart from the fact that regardless of what the wicket looks like i would always bat first, simply because whoever bats last will have the worst of the wicket . My dread is Aussie bat first and knock up 500+ and with our style and mindset we would be caught in no mans land .Desperate to get near a big total but having to compromise the way we go about it .

Ashes Test 2 (Lord's): England won the toss and chose to bowl.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Ashes Test 2 (Lord's): England won the toss and chose to bowl.

Rain seems likely tomorrow. Otherwise, it should be mostly okay.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just Stop Oil have invaded the ground, but have been kept away from the actual pitch.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tongue has shown how crucial some nip is at this level . We talked for 18 months about pace , and yes I know we have some injuries , but it’s been quite depressing watching 3 guys barely reach 80mph . I don’t know if Robinson is injured , at his best he has some nip , but he’s barely got it to the other end 

55 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Tongue has shown how crucial some nip is at this level . We talked for 18 months about pace , and yes I know we have some injuries , but it’s been quite depressing watching 3 guys barely reach 80mph . I don’t know if Robinson is injured , at his best he has some nip , but he’s barely got it to the other end 

Robinson looks awful today. I'd be interested to see Woakes's record at Lords and how he's been travelling in county cricket.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

38 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Robinson looks awful today. I'd be interested to see Woakes's record at Lords and how he's been travelling in county cricket.

Terrible , he never looked like this last summer . It’s complete powder puff so far . Smith looked like he could literallly do what he wanted in that first over 

I apologise if this has been mentioned before but when did they start calling a five wicket haul a fifer(is that right). Who was the first to start saying it and why!!.

I can remember being told when doing history at school that a fifer played a tune for soldiers to change formation in battle(or something like that!!!). 

England finding out the hard way that if you lead with the lip you might end up with a fat lip instead.

I think both Crawley and Robinson will be on the butt end of a serve when they come out because what they have been coming out with in public is not looking too flash at the time of writing.

England could change the bowlers but not the bowling  today. The only relief towards the end when both Head and Green attempted to Bazball Joe Root

Sadly it is also my view that once Australia start to bowl. This is going to seem to spectators a competely different wicket

Fortunately the weather forecast offers a potential escape route for an England side that if it was to go 2-0  down would see the Ashes hype deflate like a burst baloon. So altogether then..

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47mbyf3gxn0lrra9xf2ft

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both