Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

The Oval today is what can euphemistically be called a "results pitch".

Neither Lords nor the Oval have produced good pitches in this series. Lords was something of a featherbed and the Oval has the ball seaming with varying bounce.

If this Oval pitch had been at Headingley, the press would have been alive with criticism.

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

4 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

The Oval today is what can euphemistically be called a "results pitch".

Neither Lords nor the Oval have produced good pitches in this series. Lords was something of a featherbed and the Oval has the ball seaming with varying bounce.

If this Oval pitch had been at Headingley, the press would have been alive with criticism.

From watching today there’s nothing wrong with this pitch . It did a little but there was a big score there if we had our head screwed on . First innings will be crucial here 

On 27/07/2023 at 02:29, Wolford6 said:

As of 2023, there are 800+ cricket clubs in Yorkshire and 125,000 recreational players. (For a bit of context, there are 5,000 clubs in the whole of England and Wales)

Someone on the telly last week said that there are over a thousand games every weekend

is that part of the reason why England haven't been particular good at cricket for an extended period?

Edited by bazza_merged

My 3-1 Australia series win prediction is looking good as it stands unless England get early breakthroughs this morning it is more likely that Australia will wear England's bowlers down until Joe Root comes on at which point they will begin to cash in.

I think you will find that Marsh and Starc for Australia and Chris Woakes are all carrying injuries, and it's not unexpected that Moeen gets a groin strain. As someone who has not played red ball cricket for a couple of years asking him to play back to back tests was always a risk and with Stokes also not bowling the sceanrio outlined in my first paragraph seems the most likely outcome.

Yet again England batted for just 54.1 Overs, giving the bowlers little rest. In fact had not Woakes and Wood added 49 for the eighth wicket England score would have been seriously below par as opposed to below par.

England do not need to scap Bazball when the series autopsy begins, probably on Monday, but there needs to be a rethink about the difference between positive and agrressive batting and reckless batting and when your in cashing in and not getting out as an entertainer.

Loved that Jim Maxwell comment that compared the Northern crowds with the somnolent Oval crowd "sounded like they were on their third bottle of chardonnay..."

If your feeling starved of Anglo-Australian Cricket, apart from the T20 and ODI series comiing up next year in September. The ECB and Cricket Australia are working on a 150 years of Test Cricket Match in Melbourne in March 2027 and a return 150 years of Test Cricket match in London in 2030, which is good news for us who as a kid watched the original 1977 game 30 minute highlights presented by Ritchie Benaud on BBC2 back then. God willing I will be at these two events.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

At least the narrative that England would have won the series but for some rain is slowly ... very slowly ... dying a death.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

At least the narrative that England would have won the series but for some rain is slowly ... very slowly ... dying a death.

I've seen a fair number of posts recently saying that if England had picked a wicket keeper, they would have won the series.

4 minutes ago, JonM said:

I've seen a fair number of posts recently saying that if England had picked a wicket keeper, they would have won the series.

Yes. That would have been a start.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

43 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Persisting with the short ball again when it’s clearly not working…

Wood looks so much better honing in on the stumps with the bouncer as a shock tactic but at times he goes into endless long hop and nothing length mode

• Like 1

All to play for. The match is having the usual twists and turns that this series has regularly produced. At 186 for 7 with the Aussies 98 behind, I was optimistic we could end with a half decent lead. But their tail wagged, just like ours did, and we start our 2nd innings a few runs behind.

A lot of people seem to be suggesting that England need to bat sensibly tomorrow and give the bowlers a good day of rest (or as much as possible). It will be interesting to see whether they do that.

Very much Australia,s game to lose for the following reasons:

England bowlers are cooked, Broad went off after the seventh over with the new ball and the fact that hey were ground down lies in the last three Aussie wickets garnering over 100 runs. If England bazball there way to 270 in 60 overs the aging attack will have to save the day again with very little rest between innings.

Minimal lead?. A lead is a lead and if England are 2/8 a not abnormal occurrence then they are already chasing the game

Who will bat number three  Moeen I am sure will bat but not until the end of the innings unless he makes a lizards like recovery.

Australia will be confident of chasing anything under 300.

Finally as is sadly the case in London they are not exactly being the "12th" man for Englsnd in this game.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both