Jump to content

TV presentation of Rugby league - new ideas


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

 You might get told that a half back is a clever player but very rarely explained why that is or given an example.

Couple of felicitous Edwyn Collins lines from the Orange Juice track "Scaremonger" -

"And granted I`m dealing in clichés but for that I make no apologies

`Cause some things just have to be said."

There`s nothing inherently wrong with clichés in RL as long as they are a starting point. 

The first mind-numbing platitude I cited on the previous page was "complete our sets". Teams can fail to complete sets for a variety of reasons. Some are tactical. Winning teams can complete fewer sets than the opposition. Pundits should be delving into how and why a team are not "completing their sets", not just repeating the phrase ad nauseam.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


41 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

I don't think the issue is RL being less tactical but that the perception is that RL is less tactical. And this is an opportunity to change that on a national FTA platform.

Speaking as someone who came to the sport a bit later in life it was the explanation of plays and tactics by my friend who properly introduced me to it which made me love the sport. The more you understand what is going on the more you appreciate the skills and intelligence of the players. But watch some coverage and all you hear is how hard the players are. You might get told that a half back is a clever player but very rarely explained why that is or given an example.

Online reactors usually get excited by the big hits, spectacular diving tries and fancy stepping, but I remember one NFL fan who reacted to an NRL analysis (possibly by Peter Stering) of how Thurston set up a particular try for the Cowboys.

You could see his dawning realisation that this game was about more than just the physical excellence or individual handling skills. Teams were executing tactical plays on the hoof, instead of from a planned start as in NFL. I just did a quick search on YouTube, but sadly couldn't find the clip or his channel. Probably taken down for copyright infringements, as so many are.

But that kind of lucid, detailed and illustrated explanation is what helps people see that RL isn't just big thick lads running into each other at top speed.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Heat maps of team and players.

Not data for data sake. For instance the tackle count is quite predictable in the modern game, with zonal marking it's not like players can chase the game around. It really tells you if one person was targeted. 

I used to like sky's PTB map, showing how many PTBs in each others half etc. that was good.

Gor bored of John Wells review, became a bit he ran here and they ran there. Sometimes good sometimes making the ordinary sound as if it was super intelligent when most teams run the same plays anyway.

Need entertaining presenters, they make the show. Characters help bring something even when they are wrong 😃 I'm in a minority who like Phil Clarke 

Edited by David Dockhouse Host
Spelling and further descriptions
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Heat maps of team and players.

Not data for data sake. For instance the tackle count is quite predictable in the modern game, with zonal marking it's not like players can chase the game around. It really tells you if one person was targeted. 

I used to like sky's PTB map, that was good.

For bored of John Wells review, b came a bit her ran here and they ran there. Sometimes food sometimes making the ordinary sound as if it was super intelligent when most teams run the same plays.

Need entertaining presenters, they make it

When coaching kids the ' top tackler ' used to drive me round the bend , you're coaching kids to run a defensive line 🙄

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I am a TV producer.... but sadly I’m in the comedy/entertainment sector. I do have experience in bringing new shows to air though –God I’d love to have a crack at making RL on C4. 

The big question in all of this really is who will actually make the show. Channel 4 have secured the rights but they’ll then put it out to tender to various production companies. I really hope Whisper Films throw their hat in the ring. They have a great relationship with C4 (They do F1). I’ve got a few mates there so will keep my ear to the ground. 

But I digress. Here’s what I’d do... 

 

ONSCREEN TALENT 

MAIN HOST-   For me Chappers is pretty much a dream host for RL and does a great job on BBC. He’s nationally recognised and has the respect of the sporting community as well as being engaging and likeable. I’m not sure if he’s golden handcuffed to the beeb though. So Adam Hills is a solid fall back optionhe's a true C4 name with wide appeal and RL nouse. We’d be lucky to have either. 

 

REGULAR PUNDIT – I think we need a household  name here to bring credibility and status to the presentation...And let's be honest we don’t have many. The dream would be to have someone like Jason Robinson (I think he's had it with RL though). Another shout is Jonathan Davies - at least he brings a different voice. Yes unfortunately we're probably looking at an RU convert - that's the reality.

 

ROTATING PUNDIT- This is your rotating slot for the Jon Wilkins of this world. I don’t mind Jon – he tries a bit too hard at times (he needs producing). I’d like to see someone else have a go though. I'd do some screen tests with different younger players- It'd be good to have a current player who is social media savvy.

 

 ALTERNATIVE VOICE PUNDIT – RL is a really inclusive sport and it's about to be broadcast on a channel that champions diversity in all it’s forms. So our 4th pundit should be bringing something different to the table...Wheelchair game, Womens Game or even another sports personality (A boxer, a footballer, an Olympian)Again anyone who could bring people to the show.

Maybe it could be a famous sportsperson that's never seen a game of RL before? Like lot's of our new viewers they can be the curious voice of someone who doesn't know know about RL. Wouldn't that be risky but also exciting? As well as showing how warm and welcoming we are as a sport.

 

INSPIRATIONAL STORIES 

As mentioned above we lack stars in the game. But one thing we don't lack at all are inspirational human stories.  We should be telling these incredible stories in an engaging way. Players that have come from nothing and risen to the top of their game. So I’d show a VT before every match that focuses on one of the players about to take to the field. How can people be stars if nobody knows their journey?

 

AMAZING ACCESS 

Rugby League is the most open door sport I can think of. Yet we don’t take advantage of it.  Look at the success of shows that go behind the scenes of sport ‘Sunderland til I die’ ‘Drive to Survive. 

Again we should be doing VT’s before matches that get the viewer access to the clubs. Content that feels exclusive to the audience and offers them more than just studio banter and a game of rugby.

Let’s get in the board room at Hull FC, A night out with the Wigan Warriors squad and maybe even the changing room at half time during the match? It could be a sporting first?  

 

RULES + ANALYSIS 

We are broadcasting to a very new (C4) audience. We need to show people what on earth is going on. Trust me people will not know! We’re not going to lose viewers who already like RL by explaining some rules quickly and simply in engaging highlights reels. The more that people understand the rules and tactics. The more they get out of the game.  

 

 etc...

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jamesthepratt said:

Well I am a TV producer.... but sadly I’m in the comedy/entertainment sector. I do have experience in bringing new shows to air though –God I’d love to have a crack at making RL on C4. 

The big question in all of this really is who will actually make the show. Channel 4 have secured the rights but they’ll then put it out to tender to various production companies. I really hope Whisper Films throw their hat in the ring. They have a great relationship with C4 (They do F1). I’ve got a few mates there so will keep my ear to the ground. 

But I digress. Here’s what I’d do... 

 

ONSCREEN TALENT 

MAIN HOST-   For me Chappers is pretty much a dream host for RL and does a great job on BBC. He’s nationally recognised and has the respect of the sporting community as well as being engaging and likeable. I’m not sure if he’s golden handcuffed to the beeb though. So Adam Hills is a solid fall back optionhe's a true C4 name with wide appeal and RL nouse. We’d be lucky to have either. 

 

REGULAR PUNDIT – I think we need a household  name here to bring credibility and status to the presentation...And let's be honest we don’t have many. The dream would be to have someone like Jason Robinson (I think he's had it with RL though). Another shout is Jonathan Davies - at least he brings a different voice. Yes unfortunately we're probably looking at an RU convert - that's the reality.

 

ROTATING PUNDIT- This is your rotating slot for the Jon Wilkins of this world. I don’t mind Jon – he tries a bit too hard at times (he needs producing). I’d like to see someone else have a go though. I'd do some screen tests with different younger players- It'd be good to have a current player who is social media savvy.

 

 ALTERNATIVE VOICE PUNDIT – RL is a really inclusive sport and it's about to be broadcast on a channel that champions diversity in all it’s forms. So our 4th pundit should be bringing something different to the table...Wheelchair game, Womens Game or even another sports personality (A boxer, a footballer, an Olympian)Again anyone who could bring people to the show.

Maybe it could be a famous sportsperson that's never seen a game of RL before? Like lot's of our new viewers they can be the curious voice of someone who doesn't know know about RL. Wouldn't that be risky but also exciting? As well as showing how warm and welcoming we are as a sport.

 

INSPIRATIONAL STORIES 

As mentioned above we lack stars in the game. But one thing we don't lack at all are inspirational human stories.  We should be telling these incredible stories in an engaging way. Players that have come from nothing and risen to the top of their game. So I’d show a VT before every match that focuses on one of the players about to take to the field. How can people be stars if nobody knows their journey?

 

AMAZING ACCESS 

Rugby League is the most open door sport I can think of. Yet we don’t take advantage of it.  Look at the success of shows that go behind the scenes of sport ‘Sunderland til I die’ ‘Drive to Survive. 

Again we should be doing VT’s before matches that get the viewer access to the clubs. Content that feels exclusive to the audience and offers them more than just studio banter and a game of rugby.

Let’s get in the board room at Hull FC, A night out with the Wigan Warriors squad and maybe even the changing room at half time during the match? It could be a sporting first?  

 

RULES + ANALYSIS 

We are broadcasting to a very new (C4) audience. We need to show people what on earth is going on. Trust me people will not know! We’re not going to lose viewers who already like RL by explaining some rules quickly and simply in engaging highlights reels. The more that people understand the rules and tactics. The more they get out of the game.  

 

 etc...

I like the alternative voice, sometimes football commentators are actually good at calling RL, their lack of history and depth with rh sport somehow helps, not sure I know why but it brings a different perspective 👍

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/11/2021 at 18:45, David Dockhouse Host said:

Heat maps of team and players.

Not data for data sake. For instance the tackle count is quite predictable in the modern game, with zonal marking it's not like players can chase the game around. It really tells you if one person was targeted. 

I used to like sky's PTB map, showing how many PTBs in each others half etc. that was good.

Gor bored of John Wells review, became a bit he ran here and they ran there. Sometimes good sometimes making the ordinary sound as if it was super intelligent when most teams run the same plays anyway.

Need entertaining presenters, they make the show. Characters help bring something even when they are wrong 😃 I'm in a minority who like Phil Clarke 

Yeah I quite like Phil. My wife is always interested in what he is wearing too

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The main thing i would love to see change is the annoying and pointless team entrances, both team walking slowly out together and then stood facing the main stand for a couple of minutes of awkward silence is embarrasing to me, let's get back to teams coming out one at a time and running straight to their half, chuck a few passes then let's get on with the game, it also gives the fans a chance to welcome their team rather than just clapping them on then sitting down for a couple of minutes.

Edited by daz39
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adam Hills has family etc. in Australia and also spends time Down Under performing his shows for a sizeable chunk of the year. I doubt he'd be available for a full season, but certainly should be asked to contribute whenever available.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

The main thing i would love to see change is the annoying and pointless team entrances, both team walking slowly out together and then stood facing the main stand for a couple of minutes of awkward silence is embarrasing to me, let's get back to teams coming out one at a time and running straight to their half, chuck a few passes then let's get on with the game, it also gives the fans a chance to welcome their team rather than just clapping them on then sitting down for a couple of minutes.

No way, the current pomp and circumstance is great for sneaking in an extra pint before the game 😂 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Sir kev got 10 secs

x2 mentions of 2mill but no mention of Rob burrow. Farcical beeb

Should be lucky though during the saints bit lots of woman's and wheelchair publicity. Yep just what we need

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/11/2021 at 01:04, Futtocks said:

Online reactors usually get excited by the big hits, spectacular diving tries and fancy stepping, but I remember one NFL fan who reacted to an NRL analysis (possibly by Peter Stering) of how Thurston set up a particular try for the Cowboys.

You could see his dawning realisation that this game was about more than just the physical excellence or individual handling skills. Teams were executing tactical plays on the hoof, instead of from a planned start as in NFL. I just did a quick search on YouTube, but sadly couldn't find the clip or his channel. Probably taken down for copyright infringements, as so many are.

But that kind of lucid, detailed and illustrated explanation is what helps people see that RL isn't just big thick lads running into each other at top speed.

Was that the one when Thurston was physically moving some players into position?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...