CC Semi finals and Women's CC Final at Elland Road

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really not a fan of the women's final being a curtain raiser to the men's semi finals but nice to see some ambition with the capacity of the venue being booked for the games.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

They could bump up the attendance (and make some new fans) for the women's game by having it in between the semi-finals.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Saint Toppy said:

I would have thought with the RFL's move to Manchester the Etihad would have been a better choice than Elland Rd. Better stadium, better facilities, better transport links and the new base for the RFL.

Man City are home that weekend.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Really not a fan of the women's final being a curtain raiser to the men's semi finals but nice to see some ambition with the capacity of the venue being booked for the games.

I get where you are coming from.

Saying that, if it means all three games are live on national TV at this stage it is probably a price worth paying. There will be a large number of fans in the ground at the Women's Cup presentation too.

14 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

I would have thought with the RFL's move to Manchester the Etihad would have been a better choice than Elland Rd. Better stadium, better facilities, better transport links and the new base for the RFL.

There’s no RL played in Manchester though, whereas Leeds is a hotbed. 

34 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Leeds is more central.

Etihad is also pretty big. It's too big a jump. Maybe in the future, but certainly more appropriate having the game in Leeds at this stage.

Great decision in my book. Glad there finally making something of the semi finals!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

I think Leeds is a good choice for this kind of event - bearing in mind that now means we have all our show piece events at large stadiums and across 4 of the largest cities in the UK

GF - Manchester (Old Trafford)

Magic - Newcastle (St James' Park)

WCC final/Men's CC SF - Leeds (Elland Road) 

CC Final - London (Wembley) 

Not bad for a pokey little game in the North 🙂

3 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I think Leeds is a good choice for this kind of event - bearing in mind that now means we have all our show piece events at large stadiums and across 4 of the largest cities in the UK

GF - Manchester (Old Trafford)

Magic - Newcastle (St James' Park)

WCC final/Men's CC SF - Leeds (Elland Road) 

CC Final - London (Wembley) 

Not bad for a pokey little game in the North 🙂

It's a shame we haven't established a big event feel for a World Club Challenge yet. Would love to add that to the list in the future!

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It's a shame we haven't established a big event feel for a World Club Challenge yet. Would love to add that to the list in the future!

That’s because we never know if the NRL club wants to take part.

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

They could bump up the attendance (and make some new fans) for the women's game by having it in between the semi-finals.

The NRLW GF in 2018 was the first game on the schedule, followed by the NSW Cup v Q Cup winners State Championship, followed by the NRL GF. 

In 2019, in response to criticism, they moved it to be the middle game. Consequences were a discernible increase in size of crowd, TV ratings, and general look and impact.

10 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Think it's a hard one with the WCC for 2 reasons. 1 - it's very much only involving 1 set of fans. I know some casual fans will go to watch/support the NRL team (I know I went to Saints when they played Rabbitohs) but that can't be relied upon. So at best it's never going to do more than 25k most years.

6 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

That’s because we never know if the NRL club wants to take part.

And reason 2 is well...yeah the above is very true. 

2 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Think it's a hard one with the WCC for 2 reasons. 1 - it's very much only involving 1 set of fans. I know some casual fans will go to watch/support the NRL team (I know I went to Saints when they played Rabbitohs) but that can't be relied upon. So at best it's never going to do more than 25k most years.

And reason 2 is well...yeah the above is very true. 

Whilst I agree in theory, if the event is seen as important, it will pull in far more punters.  At the moment, it's presented as a glorified friendly at the home of the SL champions. Few neutrals will ever be interested.

I have always wondered whether a 9s tournament on the same weekend at the same venue might help build up more neutrals. Group games on the Saturday. Knockout on the Sunday, with the WCC following the final. 

44 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Leeds is more central.

Etihad is also pretty big. It's too big a jump. Maybe in the future, but certainly more appropriate having the game in Leeds at this stage.

Great decision in my book. Glad there finally making something of the semi finals!

Another factor is that Elland Road can also look and sound a lot more "full" than it often is which, given how we know crowds behave in double/triple header games, is probably a factor in the decision. 

The TV gantry position is relatively low by PL stadium standards, which means that even when it comes to the larger east stand, only a small proportion of the seating is actually exposed to the camera, three of the four roofs are low and the east stand roof is sloped to funnel sound to the pitch. 

I am not writing this just to be negative as I like the idea of more events from RL but I strongly feel that the Women's final should be its own event as there is real momentum in the Women's game now and it deserves more than an attendance that is building towards the end of the game as it waits for the men's semi's.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Whilst I agree in theory, if the event is seen as important, it will pull in far more punters.  At the moment, it's presented as a glorified friendly at the home of the SL champions. Few neutrals will ever be interested.

I have always wondered whether a 9s tournament on the same weekend at the same venue might help build up more neutrals. Group games on the Saturday. Knockout on the Sunday, with the WCC following the final. 

It's a good shout - i'd love to see the WCC be built up more and used as a genuine benchmark to say which team is the best in the world - even if it did mean SL took a pasting more often than not. For me that would involve it being played late Oct though, which I just don't think will happen. But who knows, if there's a will for it on both sides and it can get a decent financial backer, anything is possible. 

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I agree, I’d rather the Women’s Final be a standalone event at Headingley Stadium. Great that Leeds is hosting the Semi Finals though, Leeds really is the home of Rugby League.

24 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

A 9s tournament in February,good luck with that

34 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I am not writing this just to be negative as I like the idea of more events from RL but I strongly feel that the Women's final should be its own event as there is real momentum in the Women's game now and it deserves more than an attendance that is building towards the end of the game as it waits for the men's semi's.

I think that's fair, although I would argue that there is probably a sensible approach at the minute to see what model works best for the women's showpiece events in their current states. As it stands, we have the Women's Grand Final as a stand-alone event, and the Women's CC Final as part of a triple-header with the men's game. I think it's probably sensible to 'test and learn' with what works best for an aspect of RL that is still relatively young. 

Archived