Sun 26 Dec: Boxing Day Friendly: Bradford Bulls v Halifax Panthers KO 12.30

Who will win?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Bradford Bulls
    • Halifax Panthers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/12/21 at 13:00

• John Drake changed the title to Sun 26 Dec: Boxing Day Friendly: Bradford Bulls v Halifax Panthers KO 12.30

7 hours ago, TrueBull said:

It'll be equal at half time - say 10-10, then Bradford will bring on a bunch of reserves & u19's and lose the 2nd half 18-6. So 28-16 to Fax. 

Sounds about right. Halifax are going to start with their reserves so that would be a good result for us at half time. 😉

8 minutes ago, Szymala said:

Is it on ?

In some doubt at 10am and apparently fog descending....people need to set off.

Halifax players arrived and got sent home as the game was not expected to go ahead. No official word from either camp yet and fans still in limbo. Bradford very desparate to get this game played.

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Aye.  Of course.

I would have thought that they were unnecessary given the unofficial nature of such games. What is their role in friendly?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I would have thought that they were unnecessary given the unofficial nature of such games. What is their role in friendly?

Upsetting the Bulls by calling the game off? I guess if it's sanctioned by the RFL, they still need to be run correctly.

10 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Upsetting the Bulls by calling the game off? I guess if it's sanctioned by the RFL, they still need to be run correctly.

Well, not really. In friendlies the clubs often make up their own minds about the structure of the game - number of substitutes, length of the match, halves or quarters etc. all that the RFL do is to provide the officials.

This isn't really important, of course, but I am bored.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

46 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Well, not really. In friendlies the clubs often make up their own minds about the structure of the game - number of substitutes, length of the match, halves or quarters etc. all that the RFL do is to provide the officials.

This isn't really important, of course, but I am bored.

Aren't we all! 😀

17 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Same as usual.  Would you think it unnecessary to appoint referees and touchjudges ?

Times change.  Standards rise.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

22 hours ago, Griff said:

Same as usual.  Would you think it unnecessary to appoint referees and touchjudges ?

Times change.  Standards rise.

The appointment of referees and touch judges is an RFL function at the request of the host club. The referee is usually in charge of all decisions relating to the conduct of friendlies, including whether the game can proceed or not.

What is the actual function of a match commissioner at friendly games?

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

The appointment of referees and touch judges is an RFL function at the request of the host club. The referee is usually in charge of all decisions relating to the conduct of friendlies, including whether the game can proceed or not.

What is your impression of the actual function of a match commissioner at a competitive game ?

What I'm trying to understand is, if you don't think a match commissioner is necessary, why do you think a referee is?

See page 436 et seq of this. Freely available on t'interweb and something you could've looked up yourself.

https://www.rugby-league.com/flipbooks/2021-operational-rules-tiers-1-3/index.html#p=437

40 minutes ago, Griff said:

What is your impression of the actual function of a match commissioner at a competitive game ?

What I'm trying to understand is, if you don't think a match commissioner is necessary, why do you think a referee is?

See page 436 et seq of this. Freely available on t'interweb and something you could've looked up yourself.

https://www.rugby-league.com/flipbooks/2021-operational-rules-tiers-1-3/index.html#p=437

I did, thanks. These rules apply to games played in competitions under the auspices of the RFL - leagues, cup competitions etc. Friendlies are often played under more relaxed rules as agreed by the clubs involved. You are old enough to have seen games between semi-pro clubs and "district selects" for example, as have I. These often veered well away from the regulations covering actual competitions. Do they have match commissioners for veterans/seniors games? I would be very surprised if they did. How would they react to a referee kicking a conversion? (I have seen it happen in a benefit match.)

This is my real point - there is no functional reason for a match commissioner at friendly games.

15 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I did, thanks. These rules apply to games played in competitions under the auspices of the RFL - leagues, cup competitions etc. Friendlies are often played under more relaxed rules as agreed by the clubs involved. You are old enough to have seen games between semi-pro clubs and "district selects" for example, as have I. These often veered well away from the regulations covering actual competitions. Do they have match commissioners for veterans/seniors games? I would be very surprised if they did. How would they react to a referee kicking a conversion? (I have seen it happen in a benefit match.)

This is my real point - there is no functional reason for a match commissioner at friendly games.

As I said before, times change.  Time was when we would wonder what a match commissioner was.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

What about all his duties regarding health and safety. Or his interaction with the ground GSO who takes over these duties if he isn’t there. If someone does take on his duties would that be acceptable to either the players or general ground insurance.  My guess is once you involve the RFL by asking for refs you get the commissioner as standard.

15 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

The Match Commissioner is responsible for ensuring the playing area is compatible (eg suitable line markings) and safe for participation (eg no ice on the pitch)

The Match Commissioner will also check the facilities to ensure they are also safe (eg change rooms are reaching minimum standards) and other minimum match day protocols are adhered to (eg first aid services readily available including defib’). 

Archived