Anglian Vipers

57 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Nice article on the BBC Sport website https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/65151895

Fantastic news!

even better 54 minutes this has been posted and no one has said anything about virtue signalling or "bbc bias to womens sports" and the like... maybe things are looking up!!

Edited by RP London
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

Excitement is building across Norfolk as the Anglian Vipers prepare for their season opener on Saturday, at home to Bedford Tigers in the East RL cup. A good crowd is expected at Barnards Fields in Wymondham, 2.30 kick off, bar open 🐍 

• Like 8

On 04/05/2023 at 10:11, Eddie said:

Excitement is building across Norfolk as the Anglian Vipers prepare for their season opener on Saturday, at home to Bedford Tigers in the East RL cup. A good crowd is expected at Barnards Fields in Wymondham, 2.30 kick off, bar open 🐍 

Good luck to all concerned, please let us know how it turns out? 

• Like 4

On 04/05/2023 at 10:11, Eddie said:

Good luck with it. I was hoping to get along to the Hemel game v North Herts A under the lights in the same Cup tonight but am on Late shifts all weekend...on the plus side I will miss the worst of the nonsense tomorrow

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

I’ll take some, no idea how to get them on here though, if always says I haven’t got enough space. 

Open them in a photo editor, reduce the size drastically so they fit under 25kB or whatever the limit is;

• Thanks 1

A tough game for the Vipers against a strong and experienced Bedford side, with a number of SCL players. Bedford went 12-0 up (3 tries) early on and the Vipers got it back to 16-10. Bedford ran away with it in the second half and won 46-14, a fair result, a great group of lads and good luck to them this season.  

I’ll see if I can follow Jon M’s instructions and get a couple of photos on tomorrow. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Some people seem to manage it no bother, but I never have!

Here is the match day programme though 

https://online.fliphtml5.com/spifr/hnrv/#p=1

Great stuff Eddie. Are those in the group Hemel and St Albans reserve sides?

What division does Bedford firsts play in?

18 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Yeah this site isn't quite designed for the easy sharing of photos!

Might be best sharing them on Twitter and then sharing the link here.

Good plan, sadly I’m not on Twitter though otherwise I would. If any get on Facebook I’ll do it then. Not that it’ll be the most exciting set of photos ever to hit the internet. 

9 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Bedford first team play in the Southern Conference. 

St Albans’ first team play in the East but no idea about Hemel but I think it’s their first. 

10 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Bedford (plus North Herts, Brentwood Eels and Eastern Rhinos) are all in the SCL and enter second teams in the East comp. I believe it’s Hemel’s first team as they’re not in the SCL any more, not sure why they’ve dropped down though. 

On 13/01/2022 at 03:25, Harry Stottle said:

Get Anglian Windows to sponsor them, they could be called the "Chamois" you know from the Window Vipers............

I'll get my coat.

Careful Harry, you`ll crack a smile.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Jughead said:

Bedford first team play in the Southern Conference. 

St Albans’ first team play in the East but no idea about Hemel but I think it’s their first. 

18 hours ago, Eddie said:

Bedford (plus North Herts, Brentwood Eels and Eastern Rhinos) are all in the SCL and enter second teams in the East comp. I believe it’s Hemel’s first team as they’re not in the SCL any more, not sure why they’ve dropped down though. 

Wow, that’s a real drop from the Hey Day for each of those clubs. There was a real feeling of growth in the region 2006 - 2012.

Skolars jumped up. Hemel continued to grow and Saint Albans were killing it at the great facilities at Woollom. Even Luton Vipers were putting out a good squad and had a women’s team. Essex Eels were having a dig at a reasonable facility.

Sth London Storm meanwhile we’re getting hundreds of kids from minis up at the Storm, Bulls, Hurricanes and one other weather themed club, whilst the seniors were going great. 

It is great to see that east division still active despite missing old club names like Bury St Edmunds, Ipswich Rhinos, Cambridge Eagles, St Ives Roosters and other short lived entities like Norwich City Saxons and Colchester. 

Fingers crossed for you Eddie. The more people you get active in any role at the club now, the better the chances of your sustainability. Kit man, runner, pitch volunteer, water boys, social coordinator, player manager, club manager, coaching manager, volunteer manager. Wishing you all the best mate.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Wow, that’s a real drop from the Hey Day for each of those clubs. There was a real feeling of growth in the region 2006 - 2012.

Skolars jumped up. Hemel continued to grow and Saint Albans were killing it at the great facilities at Woollom. Even Luton Vipers were putting out a good squad and had a women’s team. Essex Eels were having a dig at a reasonable facility.

Sth London Storm meanwhile we’re getting hundreds of kids from minis up at the Storm, Bulls, Hurricanes and one other weather themed club, whilst the seniors were going great. 

It is great to see that east division still active despite missing old club names like Bury St Edmunds, Ipswich Rhinos, Cambridge Eagles, St Ives Roosters and other short lived entities like Norwich City Saxons and Colchester. 

Fingers crossed for you Eddie. The more people you get active in any role at the club now, the better the chances of your sustainability. Kit man, runner, pitch volunteer, water boys, social coordinator, player manager, club manager, coaching manager, volunteer manager. Wishing you all the best mate.

TBH, in my time in RL, it just sounds like business as usual.  We've discussed before that some teams were reliant on money from Sport England and a large chunk of the game collapsed without the money.  Also, the RFL encouraged clubs to move beyond their actual level.

It's my understanding that certain teams had admins pushing the clubs beyond the player commitment level.  I've always felt it's a mistake to not offer players a season similar in length to Rugby Union.  Not necessarily a winter season but an 8-9 month season with a break for summer holidays.

I tried to help revive one of the clubs you mentioned but it felt like people just couldn't be bothered.