Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I was under the impression The stands couldn’t have been built the other way around because of how it connects with the cricket stand, its not a normal layout for a stadium.

The Southstand is the iconic stand which people want to be in, why compromise that just so it looks a little bit better on TV?

The aim should be to fill both not hinder sales in the most popular stand.

Sorry I meant the order they were built. North stand rebuild first and then South Stand. 

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

The two games sold well because they were a bit of a novelty.

I wouldn’t be getting a season  ticket at ER its a horrible stadium

Agreed. I remember driving away from the  second one there and being relieved it was over. Wrong part of Leeds, even then half empty, awful to get to (for me at least). And it didn't and never would have any features that said it was home to Leeds Rhinos. 

1 minute ago, M j M said:

Agreed. I remember driving away from the  second one there and being relieved it was over. Wrong part of Leeds, even then half empty, awful to get to (for me at least). And it didn't and never would have any features that said it was home to Leeds Rhinos. 

Is there much crossover between Leeds Utd and Rhinos in terms of fans? 

15 minutes ago, M j M said:

Jeez I spent 20 years sitting in that stand for Leeds games and I never thought it would end up an icon.

It certainly wasn't exposed to the wind like the new place though and it was good at hiding empty seats.

Haha, that's fair, I was more referring to the blue and Amber seats at the front being quite distinct. I only sat in the Main Stand at Leeds once and I was crippled by the lack of leg room in the old seats. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I agree, it is a horrible stadium. It has been very lucky to get such big RL games over the years as its such a dump. 

It’s true that a winning team is the easiest thing to market to fans, but a losing one isn’t.

As a follower of the big US sports, I’ve noticed that they often get pretty imaginative in terms of merchandise offers and promotions when the actual product on the field/court etc might not be that enticing.

I understand that budgets aren’t comparable, but there’s a definite attempt to invent some angle as to why you might want to attend that doesn’t rely on winning or local rivalry.

Bradfords decline also didn’t help with falling attendances at Leeds, we don’t really have a derby anymore even though there are teams close by.

Those sell out derby games against the bulls are some of my best memories watching the rhinos the atmosphere was utterly electric, I vividly remember the home game at Easter in 2004 when Danny Mcguire, Rob Burrown and Sinfield ripped them to pieces, it was like a realisation that we had something very special happening.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

They were also marketed well by the club. I have no doubt that the lower bowl of Elland Road could be close to sold out for Leeds vs Cas or similar if built up over a number of seasons. It goes without saying that this would exceed the capacity at Headingley significantly as the game in 2019 did.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

They were also marketed well by the club. I have no doubt that the lower bowl of Elland Road could be close to sold out for Leeds vs Cas or similar if built up over a number of seasons. It goes without saying that this would exceed the capacity at Headingley significantly as the game in 2019 did.

Maybe so but I wouldn’t want them to do it, as I say its a horrible stadium and they need to concentrate on filling their own stadium not somewhere else

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Maybe so but I wouldn’t want them to do it, as I say its a horrible stadium and they need to concentrate on filling their own stadium not somewhere else

I would. It certainly would get more casual Rhinos fans in than the current efforts.

45 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

So they had more seats in the ground.

The new north stand is actually quite a bit smaller, capacity wise, than the old one for various reasons. To maintain the overall seating capacity the South Stand needed to get some seats - which are predictably pretty popular.

• Like 1

The Championship after five rounds looks OK. Three games were postponed in round 4 and in round five I've given the Workington v Sheffield game 1,000 spectators (excluding cardboard cutouts).

Yr 1 2 3 4 5 YTD
2022 2327 2451 1539 2022 2374 2154
2019 2629 1645 1867 2494 2242 1813
% -11 49 -18 -19 6 19

So year to date, average attendance is up 19% but Sheffield haven't played at home yet and they are below average for attendances. 

• Like 4

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

51 minutes ago, Scubby said:

16,118 at Saints v Wire

Fabulous crowd and atmosphere, a real spectacle for those of us watching on TV. There’ll be a few on this forum fuming about the empty seats in the corner though, and I’m sure I could see an inch of safety barrier in the Saints end. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Fabulous crowd and atmosphere, a real spectacle for those of us watching on TV. There’ll be a few on this forum fuming about the empty seats in the corner though, and I’m sure I could see an inch of safety barrier in the Saints end. 

I got rather wet making my way too the ground because it was lashing it down, but i think it stopped near the end of HT. it wasn’t as cold as i thought it would be, so much so i took my bob hat off and unzipped my coat. It certainly wasn’t Saints best performance, but the defence was amazing yet again. I have no complaints about the Matautia sin bin, but ive not a clue why the Wire player was banned. I do wish the official’s would tell the crowd what is going on or even the PA announcer could keep us up to date. The six agains wouldn’t be too bad if you knew what they were given for. Wire didn’t create much, but i suppose they’re still jelling and they’ll be pushing for trophies again in 2022.

A excellent crowd for a horrible night and the atmosphere was really good. Excellent  support came from Wire, and they backed their side throughout the match. If Wire have had started the season a lot better i think they would’ve sold out the away end. But with them not playing too good and the  weather being poor, those who stayed away would’ve been pleased they made the right choice. If i had to pick a MoM for Saints last night it would’ve been Roby.
For Wire i thought Ashton had a good game when he got the ball, and Danny Walker. 
i didn’t see any bother leaving the stadium just the boisterous Yoof from both clubs having a sing. The only big complaint i do have is the 8pm KO, they should bring it forward 15mins. I think the hooter went at about 9.45pm. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Josef K said:

I do wish the official’s would tell the crowd what is going on or even the PA announcer could keep us up to date.

I don’t know why they stopped putting info like that on the big screen after video ref decisions.

• Like 1