Jump to content

Match thread: Championship Rd4. Featherstone Rovers v London Broncos. Saturday 19th February 2022.


Recommended Posts

London just getting to the end of the season without folding will be a positive. They are a club in rapid decline. I'm not sure if we're not seeing the end of London, Fulham, Harlequins etc as pro/semipro club

Edited by Robin Evans
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

London just getting to the end of the season without folding will be a positive. They are a club in rapid decline. I'm not sure if we're not seeing the end of London, Fulham, Harlequins etc as pro/semipro club

Hopefully not. They really need some leadership off the field though, rather than the current headless chicken approach. 

Please view my photos.

 

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

 

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

 

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

They are up to 18 now on the RFL website but on the Broncos website their coach states they only have 18 fit players this weekend. 

Four or five of those guys were with London Skolars or West Wales prior to signing with the Broncos. They do have one or two interesting overseas signings but providing it's not a mud bath it will be surprising if this isn't a wide-margin win for Fev.

Now at 19

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Calum Gahan added. Aussie hooker, team mate of Ben Mathiou last year, think he only arrived in UK 2 or 3 days ago.

Having done a bit of research, I've found out that Calum Gahan and Ben Mathiou both played in the Brisbane Rugby league Premier A Grade Grand Final for West Brisbane Panthers in October.

That is the third tier of Aussie RL and it looks like that's where Mathiou played all last year - I think West Brisbane Panthers are kind of an affiliate/feeder team for Norths Devils, which is why we announced that's who Mathiou was with last year.

As I've suggested before, it might have been a bit misleading to some fans that we announced Mathiou at the same time as Ryley Jacks and on the day Leilua arrived, he has played at significantly lower levels than that pair. Then again, Norths Devils also reached the Grand final of their competition (tier 2) and had players like Danny Levi, Tyrone Roberts and Nene McDonald in their team, so the standard there would have been pretty high.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

London just getting to the end of the season without folding will be a positive. They are a club in rapid decline. I'm not sure if we're not seeing the end of London, Fulham, Harlequins etc as pro/semipro club

Didn't they replace us at the top table 🤔 silly old mining town. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Having done a bit of research, I've found out that Calum Gahan and Ben Mathiou both played in the Brisbane Rugby league Premier A Grade Grand Final for West Brisbane Panthers in October.

That is the third tier of Aussie RL and it looks like that's where Mathiou played all last year - I think West Brisbane Panthers are kind of an affiliate/feeder team for Norths Devils, which is why we announced that's who Mathiou was with last year.

As I've suggested before, it might have been a bit misleading to some fans that we announced Mathiou at the same time as Ryley Jacks and on the day Leilua arrived, he has played at significantly lower levels than that pair. Then again, Norths Devils also reached the Grand final of their competition (tier 2) and had players like Danny Levi, Tyrone Roberts and Nene McDonald in their team, so the standard there would have been pretty high.

 

Good info

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Ok,

So, that Leeds reserves game that was going to feature Trouty and Sherlock was called off. Theoretically I guess that puts them back in contention for a run this arvo, but probably Big Mac had his XVII sorted before the postponement.

Looking at the team M looks like that's what BM has done 

16 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

On Twitter as is usually the case.

Leilua not risked in the conditions. Field, Holmes and Trout the others to miss out from the 21-man squad. Ferres gets the start in the 2nd row.

Probably the right decision with joey but i may have been tempted put him on the bench and let him have last twenty in 2nd half considering the opposition cos the shay looks a quagmire so may have to rest him again next week 

Nice to see Brett finally get a start 

Talking of starts brad still waiting for his at thunder

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well we won and Pickersgill Hall And Gale had good games 

After that im struggling for anymore positives 

Think some thought they needed to turn up and it would be easy nights work and everything would come off but it was very clunky tonight - dont think we ever got going - expected more than what was served up out there against a team who were there for the taking pre match and it could be argued it was a better pitch and conditions this week 

Perhaps its what we needed because that was a poor performance and the kick up the ###### needed to focus for next week 

Edited by elppaxr2i
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thought London tackled well but offered little in attack other than from our gifts. Never really clicked into gear but the 2 points is all that matters in games in these conditions. My only comment about the rugby is Jones should really be getting more minutes, really speeds it up around the ruck and gets us going forward.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

Thought London tackled well but offered little in attack other than from our gifts. Never really clicked into gear but the 2 points is all that matters in games in these conditions. My only comment about the rugby is Jones should really be getting more minutes, really speeds it up around the ruck and gets us going forward.

Pretty much my thoughts. London defended well and offered little in attack. Our attack seemed essentially to be pass it sidewards back and forth across the pitch without actually offering much by the way of a cutting edge. There didn't seem to be much by the way of anyone running good lines to break the defence, or drawing a defender before passing. 

As I commented before the game, and win and no injuries would suffice. I'm not aware we picked up any new injuries, so job done, even it felt like hard work. 

  • Like 2

Please view my photos.

 

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

 

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

 

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...