OLD TRAFFORD

Assuming they'd knock down the Bobby Charlton Stand first, and replace it with something bigger, then I don't see the capacity falling below 60k during the rebuild. 

The only other northern ground that could match (soon) is Anfield, and I think we've tested that venue to destruction already. It might be a dump in some ways, but OT is still a venue worthy of our title games and done up will be even better.

So stick with OT and maximise the crowd for our biggest day. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RigbyLuger said:

When you read this headline at the same time of learning of Dave Hadfield's passing...

Its a tragic site and there are a few around. 

This bloke mostky uses shock tactics to get traffic on his site. 

Love rugby league does the same 

28 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Whilst not being perfect by any stretch, they are just better for atmosphere etc imo whereas other grounds feel a bit soulless.

I don't agree, I think that is used to give them a free pass against things like terrible concourses, poor transport links and cramped seats. 

In reality they get the gigs solely because of the capacity and location. I've been to games at Elland Rd with zero atmosphere and a great atmosphere, likewise at Hudds Stadium. Same for Old Trafford and Man City. 

People used to say the same about the HJ and Wilderspool - it's all a bit romanticised really. 

7 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Assuming they'd knock down the Bobby Charlton Stand first, and replace it with something bigger, then I don't see the capacity falling below 60k during the rebuild. 

The only other northern ground that could match (soon) is Anfield, and I think we've tested that venue to destruction already. It might be a dump in some ways, but OT is still a venue worthy of our title games and done up will be even better.

So stick with OT and maximise the crowd for our biggest day. 

There is an argument that you work with a lower capacity and you can cut the discounted tickets that are almost given away just to get bums on seats. 

I'm not a fan of downsizing in general, but I think there is a balance to be had on providing a quality venue both on TV and for attending fans. 

Cardiff is possibly my personal favourite, but I dont think that's a good idea for the SL GF. 

13 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I mean they could go play at Man City’s ground for a year, but I don’t think they’ll knock it down and rebuild it. 

Can you imagine, maybe they could alternate between there and Anfield. 

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There is an argument that you work with a lower capacity and you can cut the discounted tickets that are almost given away just to get bums on seats. 

I'm not a fan of downsizing in general, but I think there is a balance to be had on providing a quality venue both on TV and for attending fans. 

Cardiff is possibly my personal favourite, but I dont think that's a good idea for the SL GF. 

I presume the GF has to be in the North due to the short turnaround for ticket sales. So given that, although I agree we could possible increase revenues with a different pricing policy at a smaller stadium I just feel a GF with a 50k crowd just doesn't feel as special as one with 60-65k, particularly for those that go. (Although I agree poor facilities impact that too)

I fear that if we left for 3 or 4 years and settled in at the Etihad we'd never go back, and we'd have lost something special. Same if we throw the towel in at Wembley for CCF. 

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't agree, I think that is used to give them a free pass against things like terrible concourses, poor transport links and cramped seats. 

In reality they get the gigs solely because of the capacity and location. I've been to games at Elland Rd with zero atmosphere and a great atmosphere, likewise at Hudds Stadium. Same for Old Trafford and Man City. 

People used to say the same about the HJ and Wilderspool - it's all a bit romanticised really. 

Romance and grander ideas like history are all part of attending big games though surely? 

Cardiff is the best of the "new" stadiums I have attended.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Romance and grander ideas like history are all part of attending big games though surely? 

Cardiff is the best of the "new" stadiums I have attended.

They can be, but not at the expense of everything else. 

I hope some of these plans to modernise come off, because it just isn't very good as things stand. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Old Trafford is a dump. Old Trafford as a building site would be more of a dump. 53k at City would be far better than 57k at Old Trafford with the diggers in.

Personally I'd prefer it to OT anyway, I find it odd that grounds like this and Elland Road get the big games, simply because of capacity, when we often have to really subsidise tickets anyway.

It’s an aging stadium,especially the South Stand,but it’s hardly a dump,Elland Road I’ll give you.

8 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

It’s an aging stadium,especially the South Stand,but it’s hardly a dump,Elland Road I’ll give you.

Comparatively speaking I'd say it is. Dark, claustrophobic concourses and the areas surrounding have declined substantially on a match day too. Inside the bowl isn't too bad to be fair, I don't think there are any restricted views 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Comparatively speaking I'd say it is. Dark, claustrophobic concourses and the areas surrounding have declined substantially on a match day too. Inside the bowl isn't too bad to be fair, I don't think there are any restricted views 

Stop being a cheapskate & buy decent tickets,seriously the only other option is far from perfect,yes the Emptihad is more modern but has nowhere near the hospitality capacity of OT which I presume is a big money spinner for the RFL,getting to & especially from the stadium  to the city is a nightmare and unlike OT there are hardly any hotels/bars within walking distance.

14 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Stop being a cheapskate & buy decent tickets,seriously the only other option is far from perfect,yes the Emptihad is more modern but has nowhere near the hospitality capacity of OT which I presume is a big money spinner for the RFL,getting to & especially from the stadium  to the city is a nightmare and unlike OT there are hardly any hotels/bars within walking distance.

Out of interest what are the capacities for hospitality at the two grounds?

I've found Old Trafford a real pig of a ground to get from after a match, and since they demolished the large pub near there a few years back its pretty miserable (not sure if they have built anything else there in recent years).

I've walked into town from Man City a few times which I quite enjoyed, but appreciate that isn't for everyone.

wouldn't bother me if they took it on the road for a couple of seasons while Old trafford was rebuilt (if that what happens).

Any reduced capacity could be made up by charging slightly more for match tickets and increased hospitality opportunities of taking it to Liverpool, Newcastle, Ethiad or even further afield to Cardiff or Edinburgh, although I do think its the wrong time of year to take the grand final to non-traditional areas, purely as its close to xmas

I love the Grand Final at Old Trafford but I'm not a fan of showpiece events being held in building sites. I always remember the England v Wales 1995 World Cup game at Old Trafford looking terrible when the North Stand was being rebuilt. I dont think it does any harm to take the match elsewhere for a year or two.

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

I love the Grand Final at Old Trafford but I'm not a fan of showpiece events being held in building sites. I always remember the England v Wales 1995 World Cup game at Old Trafford looking terrible when the North Stand was being rebuilt. I dont think it does any harm to take the match elsewhere for a year or two.

Agreed it wouldn’t be ideal but where would be more appropriate? As others have pointed out the next biggest Northern stadiums only hold 53k, which isn’t big enough.  They could take it to Wembley, Twickenham or Cardiff but there’d be a big risk that fans wouldn’t travel in numbers. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Agreed it wouldn’t be ideal but where would be more appropriate? As others have pointed out the next biggest Northern stadiums only hold 53k, which isn’t big enough.  They could take it to Wembley, Twickenham or Cardiff but there’d be a big risk that fans wouldn’t travel in numbers. 

When you are advertising tickets as low as £2.50 then it suggests you can more than afford to lose some capacity. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

An Old Trafford in redevelopment mode isn't going to be a great deal more than that. For the sake of 7k or so I would prefer a different stadium. Put up prices if revenue is a factor.

17 minutes ago, Damien said:

That's a fair point, I still remember watching that game with no stand opposite the cameras. 

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

I think you've been going to the wrong Etihad, Davo. You can walk back to Piccadilly inside half an hour - it take that long to get a sniff of the platform at Old Trafford tram stop. Admittedly never used the tram at the Etihad as I've always walked it back, but I can't imagine it being any worse than Old Trafford.

In terms of pubs etc, City Square has been absolute triumph for them and would provide an infinitely better build up than trying to fight for a pint at The Trafford or Sam Platt's. Even Mary D's is superior to the pubs near OT. Needless to say, just keep the Rugby AM lot away from City Square.

Plenty of corporate capacity, and potentially higher end stuff with the tunnel option etc.

Wasn't the Regional Stadium used for the Women's Grand Final pre-Covid? Would link in very nicely with that, albeit Academy Stadium would be better suited as a rectangular stadium.

In terms of a permanent home, though, it would be a huge loss if it permanently moved from Old Trafford - as with Wembley and the Challenge Cup - as somebody else touched upon earlier.

11 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I think you've been going to the wrong Etihad, Davo. You can walk back to Piccadilly inside half an hour - it take that long to get a sniff of the platform at Old Trafford tram stop. Admittedly never used the tram at the Etihad as I've always walked it back, but I can't imagine it being any worse than Old Trafford.

In terms of pubs etc, City Square has been absolute triumph for them and would provide an infinitely better build up than trying to fight for a pint at The Trafford or Sam Platt's. Even Mary D's is superior to the pubs near OT. Needless to say, just keep the Rugby AM lot away from City Square.

Plenty of corporate capacity, and potentially higher end stuff with the tunnel option etc.

Wasn't the Regional Stadium used for the Women's Grand Final pre-Covid? Would link in very nicely with that, albeit Academy Stadium would be better suited as a rectangular stadium.

In terms of a permanent home, though, it would be a huge loss if it permanently moved from Old Trafford - as with Wembley and the Challenge Cup - as somebody else touched upon earlier.

Yeah a 30 minute walk in the October pishing rain sounds great and yes the queue for the Metro is horrendous.OT has over 20 suites & nearly 150 boxes,not sure the Etihad even comes close so whilst I agree the Etihad is a good short term option IMO the Grand Final always be at Old Trafford,everyone to his own I guess.

Archived