Mon 4th Apr: Ch: Newcastle Thunder v Widnes Vikings KO 19:45 (Premier Sports)

Who will win?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Newcastle Thunder
    • Widnes Vikings

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/04/22 at 19:15

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Well, they aren't paid to be culinary anthropologists. What they do is taste something with no preconceptions, and if they like it, they say so. And if they don't like it, well they'll say so too.

In my heart of hearts, I suppose I know that you are just about right, Futtocks, though it could be said there was a preconception on their part, namely that something with 'peas' in it would be hot!

I suppose I have just enjoyed being nostalgically grumpy for my time in the north-east!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The vote for likely winner was very even. The score was close as well so two well matched sides. Glad for Thunder that they got a win at home. Something for the local fans to savour. The club seems to be progressing steadily. Hard luck Widnes. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

One thing I didn't take into consideration is that Widnes are absolute sh-ite, ably lead with total mediocrity by Owen's, Smith, Tyrer and Addy the 4 player's  who could have made a difference, saying that Newcastle were not much better it was not a game any coach anywhere could take any snippets from at all to highlight good play.

We got the win and that is the most important thing, come on thunder!

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Both teams were missing a few and there were lots of DR/loanees on display hence the disjointed nature of the attacks, but I think Newcastle who only had one recognised half back deserve some credit for their attitude which was really good especially their kick chases and scrambling defence.

Yes we had 6 players missing, our captain and 7 josh woods, and experianced forwards akuma ta'ai, brad day, jay chaplehow and alex foster, and winger jack johnson, we had australian centre jesse dee playing at 7 tonight, lots of top players missing yet we got the win, over the moon! Onwards and upwards! Come on thunder!!

8 hours ago, Thunder fan said:

We got the win and that is the most important thing, come on thunder!

Yes for a fan of the club completely agree Thunder Fan, but for televisual appeal to neutrals the game left a lot to be desired, in fact it wasn't any better than some of the SL dross that has been served up this term, not expected from the Monday Night Championship games.😎

47 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes for a fan of the club completely agree Thunder Fan, but for televisual appeal to neutrals the game left a lot to be desired, in fact it wasn't any better than some of the SL dross that has been served up this term, not expected from the Monday Night Championship games.😎

Each to their own. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am pleased for Thunder who should finished with a clean sheet against them. Awful decision to award the Widnes try.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

As a Fev fan, I'm a neutral and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Games don't have to be a points-fest to be enjoyable.

13 minutes ago, Tubby said:

As a Fev fan, I'm a neutral and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Games don't have to be a points-fest to be enjoyable.

This! It stayed competitive until the end which as a neutral you want to see. I too enjoyed it for what it was. 

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

41 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Oh yes I can't agree more Tubby, in fact I despise high scoring games, but in this game I did not see that the defences were being challenged and it took a great deal of effort to keep out the opposing attacks, the missing players may well have corrected that, and the four most expierenced players on the park all from Widnes in Owens, Smith, Tyrer and Addy were absolutely shocking.

1 hour ago, Tubby said:

I agree with that, I thought it was a belting game, some hard running attack and hard hitting defence. Throw in a couple of very good tries, and some very good close efforts and all in all it was a thoroughly enjoyable game.

2 hours ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Thoughts on last night:

We were absolutely dire.

Its a bloody long way home from Newcastle on a Monday night after witnessing aforementioned direness.

Felt for the Widnes fans who had travelled last night. It's a hell of a journey back.

My first experience of Monday night lights and in general I enjoyed it and understand it works better having a night with no other matches on but would prefer a Thursday or Friday or even a Saturday night slot. 

13 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I like many didn't see a Thunder win

I think the thing with Widnes was for some reason they got massively hyped after their first few games and probably with little justification which probably didn't help them. Their only win of note was a 9-8 win away to Fax which was played in some of the worst conditions that I have seen at a rugby match remembering that we used to play at Thrum Hall in winter. 🤣 
I think the two teams are very evenly matched in terms of playing personel and where I expect them to finish in the table and I think those 2 along with Barrow are the 3 teams that come the end of the season will miss out on the playoffs.

Archived