Beaumont's Thoughts on Toronto and France

1 hour ago, theswanmcr said:

No they didn’t actually exist and formed from two other existing clubs who swallowed their pride and realised that the only way for to be competitive in a big league was to merge and form a new entity…

Lancashire CenturiWarriors anyone.

And be given 3 years grace from relegation. Would expect leigh or anyone  to be competitive with those benefits 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, DEANO said:

And be given 3 years grace from relegation. Would expect leigh or anyone  to be competitive with those benefits 

Indeed. Hence my (oft repeated) view that a promoted club needs some sort of transitional protection. But then, so should any relegated club.

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

Indeed. Hence my (oft repeated) view that a promoted club needs some sort of transitional protection. But then, so should any relegated club.

I thought relegated clubs already got a parachute payment 

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

How kind. They merited entry into SL for the totality of their performance off the field as much as on the field.

There was no performance on the field. They were an experiment like Paris and Gateshead. I agree they have prospered but we’re given every chance to do so

2 minutes ago, DEANO said:

There was no performance on the field. They were an experiment like Paris and Gateshead. I agree they have prospered but we’re given every chance to do so

They were formed from a club founded in 1934 - XIII Catalan

How is that an experiment?

SL is propped up by a TV deal. As long as the product has appeal, I assume Sky doesn't care where the clubs are, provided they get some games to air. To them it's about getting subscribers and where the club is situated doesn't seem to make a difference to them.

Regardless of where the club is situated, they burn through their 3 mil on player wages and associated costs of running a club. Because of that, I don't know why it matters if a club is in Toronto, France or the UK. It doesn't add or detract from the TV deal. In that sense, Mr Beaumont's argument doesn't stack up.  

Does that harm the game in England having overseas teams in SL? Plenty of English lads are plying their trade at these clubs so in that way I don't believe so. There is a loss is to the Leighs and Fevs who would otherwise be in SL. So obviously DB would be benefitted with just local clubs so I can see why he would want that. 

However, those who just wants RL to grow internationally, it's a no-brainer to have overseas teams. It also adds something different. I still hurt over the lost opportunity in Canada and I would feel likewise if France was cut adrift. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

1 minute ago, DEANO said:

Just so you know. I have no problem with Toulouse. They’ve earned it on and off the pitch and are not ring fenced……………..yet

Aye. The last two finals whilst very disappointing, the winners were promoted. I can live with that notwithstanding the car crash that was Toronto 

“Muppet says something daft” …it would only be news worth reporting if he’d made sense for once. Let’s ignore the tool. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

4 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Aye. The last two finals whilst very disappointing, the winners were promoted. I can live with that notwithstanding the car crash that was Toronto 

Hope tha does it this year

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

“Muppet says something daft” …it would only be news worth reporting if he’d made sense for once. Let’s ignore the tool. 

Indeed, what does he do when Leigh aren't promoted this year?

No post from Sir Kev, but all his other Alias' have had to chip in haven't they ?

Just to spin it the other way, what damage have Toulouse and Catalans done to the French RFL from being in SL or (to say) playing in a dominant English League for that matter ?  Is it not a coincidence that France are now just utter Tosh ?

We had Premier League clubs trying to break away, and all hell let loose, but there are other fantastic French teams with History who will never get the full respect (nor will the league for that matter) now that both are in the big time. St Gaudens, St Esteve, Limoux etc....

Toulouse spat their dummies out less than 10 years ago and went back to the French Leagues before re-joining (something which should not have been allowed), and Toronto was just a silly idea, but although both sides obviously offer value, so do a sustainable Haven, Barrow, Workington, Oldham, Halifax, Widnes, Bradford etc.....

Are fans prioritising French Trips now because is just a jolly booze up, yet we fail to sell out internationals, Wembley, Old Trafford etc...  I Have been to both Catalans and Toulouse. Enjoyed both and so did my overdraft !

RL need a strong season of attendances this year, and we may get them and the World cup could well be the Cherry on top.

I am not going to lambaste Beaumont though for having an opinion, as for me, expansion in 2022 is not the priority as it was in 1996. If it was though McManus or Lennigan insinuating such, I doubt some of the muppets who have responded so far would have bothered replying. They choose to though with force just because they don't like Beaumont and Leigh.

Hes a colourful character who really doesn't give a Toss about opinions but he does care about the game in general and its current state.

I too don't agree with everything he has stated, but I know where he is coming from. We have just been treated to some fantastic Challenge Cup ties in unfamiliar territory. There is more to the game than the South of Bloody France !!

17 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Think realistic aim is to make elite 1 the same level as the pyramid to RFL Champ

With all due respect Salop, Elite one will only ever collectivley get to be the same level of the Championship if the Chanpionship comes down to their level, the FFR have not got the resources, infrastructure or the number of player's to furnish 10 teams to Chanpionship level, it would be akin to putting The NCL Premier League on the same journey.

You say it should be a "realistic aim" but you omit to say who would be the architects and financiers to make this happen, will it be down to the already 'skint' RFL/SL and that being so it will be down to our individual clubs, or will the game in the Southern Hemisphere i.e the NRL be chipping in, it is a lovely pipedream that the game in France would be equal of the top 10 clubs we have in the Championship on playing terms, but I think it remain just that a pipedream for ever.

11 hours ago, Scubby said:

They were formed from a club founded in 1934 - XIII Catalan

How is that an experiment?

Leigh were formulated in 1895 in the NU/RL - but before that as a club - and in 2021 just like Catalan in 2006 were invited to compete in SL, there the comparrison ends, Catalan were given plenty of time to prepare a team and make the transition plus 3 years grace from relegation to substansiate their position in SL and grow into the format, Leigh were hampered from the word go with 8 weeks to prepare and much reduced funding designed by SL to ensure they would be relegated.

If you want to substansiate your argument, compare apples with apples, Catalan were cosseted into SL, you are correct though it was not an experiment an experiment would have had them on the same terms as each other club entering SL.

10 hours ago, RayCee said:

SL is propped up by a TV deal. As long as the product has appeal, I assume Sky doesn't care where the clubs are, provided they get some games to air. To them it's about getting subscribers and where the club is situated doesn't seem to make a difference to them.

Regardless of where the club is situated, they burn through their 3 mil on player wages and associated costs of running a club. Because of that, I don't know why it matters if a club is in Toronto, France or the UK. It doesn't add or detract from the TV deal. In that sense, Mr Beaumont's argument doesn't stack up.  

Does that harm the game in England having overseas teams in SL? Plenty of English lads are plying their trade at these clubs so in that way I don't believe so. There is a loss is to the Leighs and Fevs who would otherwise be in SL. So obviously DB would be benefitted with just local clubs so I can see why he would want that. 

However, those who just wants RL to grow internationally, it's a no-brainer to have overseas teams. It also adds something different. I still hurt over the lost opportunity in Canada and I would feel likewise if France was cut adrift. 

Assuming Sky don't care (I agree), the point that has some merit is that if they were happy to pay the £25m for 12 English teams then the £3m per year routed to France could be routed to two more English SL teams. 

I know some people look upon English clubs with disdain, but the clubs are the best tools for promotion, development, attracting players and fans in the game. 

There is an argument that two more English teams would make the game stronger in England with that £3m investment in the UK and not France. 

It's a viewpoint with some merit. It's not one I go with, I think investing in France is worth it, but I can understand why some feel that the English game can't afford to spend £3m in another territory. 

Archived