Matt Dufty to Wire

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I respect your view as always . Personally I’d find it very interesting to see them both play here to compare how they go 

Indeed.  If he does arrive and plays well then we have another star player in the league so I would be happy to be wrong.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Interesting and insightful line from Brent Read 

“I get the feeling he may have to go to England at the end of the year which is a bit sad because he is not that old.

Yes, there was a similar line from a commentator in the Roosters game a few weeks ago saying that Sio Taukeiaho was too young to go to Super League and had some good years left in him.

It's frustrating but it is the way that the league here is seen.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Dufty has been very average this season but he’s not the first that’s looked lost in the Bulldogs system . I was disappointed personally that he left the Dragons , he did a good job in a poor side in the main . He is fast , he is a running threat and he is a good link player with a good cut out pass . He’s slight and has defensive frailties but he’s not the only fullback like that . I think in SL he’d be a very good pick up , and could have a similar impact to Field as they’re similar in many ways . In fact Dufty played fullback to Field’s halfback in NYC 

Dufty is nothing like Field (aside from having pace). He's garbage in a poor Doggies team, bur he was equally as garbage at the Dragons, getting dropped multiple times for poor performances.

He got slammed earlier in the season by the commentary team for his link play (or rather lack of it). They tried an outside / inside passing move and as the prop passed back inside expecting Dufty he was nowhere to be seen, he'd pulled out of the run for fear of being hit by the defence. The commentators crucified him for lacking bottle. Its not the first time he's been shown up for plays like this over the last few years.

Then there's his defence, or should I say complete lack of it. Dufty is the most unique Full Back in the NRL. Don't thInk i've ever seen a FB manage to not put himself in front of the attacking player as many times as him. It comical how he manages to jump out of the way more often than not, or despite his pace never manage to get there to make a tackle.

Wire need their heads testing if they think Dufty is the answer to the problems. The opposition will know oif they make a break they're almost guaranteed to score with Dufty at FB. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

6 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Dufty is nothing like Field (aside from having pace).

How do you know ? All those things you go onto pick apart can’t be compared because Field barely got the opportunity. 

Edited by DavidM

Deary me, this is depressing. Signing a ‘never was’ from the NRL. Anyone talking Thewlis down needs a good head wobble. He’s developing wonderfully despite being in a team currently playing without confidence. He was only kept out the team last year by a international fullback. Ask anyone actually involved in the SL academy structure and they’ll tell you how good he is.

People would do well to look at Welsby. He was far more up and down in his first 20 games, despite playing in a better team. Hasn’t worked out too badly in the end though has it?

I can only hope Dufty is there to provide a bit of utility value. If this was Powell’s call, his stock has dropped for me. This deserves to be merged the laughing stock thread. Put it this way: If Widdop couldn’t solve Warrington’s problems, do we really think Dufty can? Deary, deary me. 

Edited by Desert Skipper

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

How do you know ? All those things you go onto pick apart can’t be compared because Field barely got the opportunity. 

When Field did get his chance he wasn't a complete turnstile in defence.

Dufty has been like that for years. Nobody else wanted him in the NRL and the Dogs were that desperate they took him, something even they must now regret.

Dufty is by a long way the worst FB in the NRL and will probably be the worst FB in SL if he comes here. I'm sure there'll be a few cream themselves when he scores once put in the clear, but what is for certain Wire are going to be a defensive joke with him in the team.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

49 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Dufty is a bit older but their careers have basically ran in parallel , and are similar styles of player . They were excellent juniors but it was Dufty who won rep honours and Dufty who made it into and cemented an NRL spot . He scored 44 tries in 80 games which isn’t bad for someone so terrible . He has frayed edges and faults , but if Field didn’t he wouldn’t be at Wigan would he ? And he’s found it much to his liking 

Yep agree. There's a huge difference between Cleary pinning you in the corner with the Penrith press and kick chase and Jordan Abdull just randomly hoofing it downfield and a #### poor chase (a la the semi in Leeds).

Dufty is made for SL if his head is screwed on.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Toppy said:

When Field did get his chance he wasn't a complete turnstile in defence.

Dufty has been like that for years. Nobody else wanted him in the NRL and the Dogs were that desperate they took him, something even they must now regret.

Dufty is by a long way the worst FB in the NRL and will probably be the worst FB in SL if he comes here. I'm sure there'll be a few cream themselves when he scores once put in the clear, but what is for certain Wire are going to be a defensive joke with him in the team.

Why wasn’t he playing then at two clubs? 

45 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I respect your view as always . Personally I’d find it very interesting to see them both play here to compare how they go 

55 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I don't think it is a given.

If a player has weaknesses in his game then those weaknesses will still be there even if the competition isn't as high a standard.

I prefer David M's opinion on this 🤣

Just now, Dave T said:

Then you’re a very wise man and know a sage , informed opinion that shows great foresight . Unless of course I’m wrong and then my account was hacked by North Korea 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Then you’re a very wise man and know a sage , informed opinion that shows great foresight . Unless of course I’m wrong and then my account was hacked by North Korea 

Does this forum do private rooms for you two?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

will do just fine in SL - 2023 man of steel 

He isn't signing for Saints. That award was off limits for us even when we had a good side.

• Haha 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I haven't seen much of him this season, but when he was starting out I remember thinking he reminded me of Jamie Shaul. Quick and evasive but really lacking as a playmaker. I don't know if he's got better, but it doesn't appear so based on the comments about him.

However good he is doesn't really matter though. Full back is way down the list of priorities. If they were signing Tom Trbojovic I'd still say it's not a good signing because they desperately need to be investing that money in the pack.

3 minutes ago, MZH said:

I haven't seen much of him this season, but when he was starting out I remember thinking he reminded me of Jamie Shaul. Quick and evasive but really lacking as a playmaker. I don't know if he's got better, but it doesn't appear so based on the comments about him.

However good he is doesn't really matter though. Full back is way down the list of priorities. If they were signing Tom Trbojovic I'd still say it's not a good signing because they desperately need to be investing that money in the pack.

It isn't an either/or. 

If we sign a couple of forwards too they aren't gonna be the ones scoring the tries. We need forwards and backs, our fullback Ratchford will be 35 next year. 

19 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It isn't an either/or. 

If we sign a couple of forwards too they aren't gonna be the ones scoring the tries. We need forwards and backs, our fullback Ratchford will be 35 next year. 

We don’t need a fullback though mate,  certainly not an overseas one, certainly not a bang average overseas one.  We have Thewlis and Ashton ffs.

Just now, Dallas Mead said:

We don’t need a fullback though mate,  certainly not an overseas one, certainly not a bang average overseas one.  We have Thewlis and Ashton ffs.

Ashton is now a winger for us, he can't play two positions. 

It looks like Charnley is off, and I'd be stunned to see Ratchford there (utility role if anything), plus Widdop is off contract. 

I'm not sure why people are talking about Thewlis as though he is a Championship challenging fullback, he is some way off that yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the wing. 

As we release big name players, we need to replace them. As I said earlier, none of this is an endorsement of Dufty as I don't know enough about him. 

If we release a fullback and a winger, we need to bring new blood through. Thewlis isn't a match winner yet, although I naturally hope he carries on developing and becoming a real star. 

6 hours ago, Scubby said:

If he is switched on he will score a stack of tries in SL - very talented. Ratchford needs punting 

4 hours ago, Scubby said:

Dufty is made for SL if his head is screwed on.

I like these little caveats you are throwing in... 'if he is switched on' and 'if his head is screwed on'.

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

As a Warrington fan, I hope you’re not nearly as far off the mark as the SAGE were with their crazy COVID predictions before Christmas. 

I can see the media headlines now… “6000 trys a season predicted for Dufty!”… promptly followed by the cancelling of all future Warrington daily press conferences as the damp squib is fully exposed 😂

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

55 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Ashton is now a winger for us, he can't play two positions. 

It looks like Charnley is off, and I'd be stunned to see Ratchford there (utility role if anything), plus Widdop is off contract. 

I'm not sure why people are talking about Thewlis as though he is a Championship challenging fullback, he is some way off that yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the wing. 

As we release big name players, we need to replace them. As I said earlier, none of this is an endorsement of Dufty as I don't know enough about him. 

If we release a fullback and a winger, we need to bring new blood through. Thewlis isn't a match winner yet, although I naturally hope he carries on developing and becoming a real star. 

Well I’m sorry but you’re saying you’ve not seen much of Dufty.  I watch a lot of NRL so I have and it’s not hyperbole to say he’s the worst of the 16 starting NRL fullbacks.  It’s a gash signing trust me.