Cup Final Tickets

The more I’ve thought about this the more it’s angered me. I can just imagine the RFL meeting whereby they deemed this to be a ‘good idea - the fans will love it!’

On the flip side, in the midst of a cost of living crisis a family of 4 have saved their hard earned pennies to buy tickets and travel to support their team in London and the RFL undo all of that by making tickets essentially free a week out from the final. That must hurt like a kick in the teeth and will hinder the sales of future finals more than it will benefit the sales of this one.

Then again, long-term and RFL don’t go hand in hand

• Like 6

The worst-led marketing organisation ever. Just shambolic. Aside from the fact this isn’t an effective strategy, and proves they’ve already failed…. the main question I have is can I have my £500 back please? 

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

This doesn't look like a general promotion, so it maybe isn't part of the sales strategy for club fans. 

I expect it is maybe being pushed for local schools or community groups etc? It is a risk with the use of codes. 

Edited by Dave T

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I wonder what this code is for. 

If you put two £55 tickets in you pay £15 instead of £110.

I assume you won't need any kind of staff ID or anything to use them? 

I just tried the same thing, two £55 tickets but it came to £60 at checkout. I've seen screenshots of some people using the code and getting two £55 tickets for £0 and someone getting a single £70 ticket for free.

I don't usually buy tickets online but I'm totally confused as to why it seems to provide different discounts, unless it's based on which blocks the seats are in maybe?

Just now, EagleEyePie said:

I just tried the same thing, two £55 tickets but it came to £60 at checkout. I've seen screenshots of some people using the code and getting two £55 tickets for £0 and someone getting a single £70 ticket for free.

I don't usually buy tickets online but I'm totally confused as to why it seems to provide different discounts, unless it's based on which blocks the seats are in maybe?

Yeah, odd it reduced the two tickets to £7.50 each for me. It gave no indication what the code was for. 

It could be RFL employees or similar and they may have a different map with pricing. 

This is poor isn't it?

It is a kind of careless contemptuous treatment, of early bird buyers (some would say their most loyal fans).

I liked Gubrats idea where you pay a flat rate for tickets and the early committers get the best seats, starting at the halfway line.

A system like that would reward the early buyers and the longer you leave it the poorer the seats available are.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Without knowing who the code was targeting it's hard to give much comment. Given it was switched off as soon as people it wasn't aimed at started using it it's probably fair to say it was aimed at a very small target group.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

It give me two £55 tickets for free about half hour back (didn’t get them like, as I already have them). 

Hope it is just an oversight/a leaked code etc and it’s now sorted. 

• Like 1

Disgusted. Saturday will be my 21st final, I haven’t missed one since 2003 (not counting covid, obviously). I don’t expect a reward for going or expect preferential treatment in the slightest, it’s my choice to go and I buy tickets (usually the same ones at Wembley) and we’ve bought tickets at Tottenham that offer a bit of a different experience from normal but really, what’s the point when you’re treated as a mug, like this?

Edited by Jughead
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, M j M said:

Without knowing who the code was targeting it's hard to give much comment. Given it was switched off as soon as people it wasn't aimed at started using it it's probably fair to say it was aimed at a very small target group.

Yep, but it will be used as an example of RL discounting next year. 

We hear often that we should be targeting local kids, youth groups, players etc - there is a good chance this is how it was being done, and there is uproar. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WN83 said:

It give me two £55 tickets for free about half hour back (didn’t get them like, as I already have them). 

Hope it is just an oversight/a leaked code etc and it’s now sorted. 

Well it definitely is a leaked code - nobody seems to know the source here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yep, but it will be used as an example of RL discounting next year. 

We hear often that we should be targeting local kids, youth groups, players etc - there is a good chance this is how it was being done, and there is uproar. 

It's been mis-handled, whatever their intention.

Surely they can apply some more rigorous test to ensure the applicant is a member of said target group.

The method of simply distributing a ''secret code'' which is likely to leak like a sieve and cause huge embarrassment, anger and bitter resentment, isn't very sophisticated is it?

Come on IMG? Surely you can do better than this. 

4 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Here's the 'source' of the discount code. It seems a sensible enough thing to do, but does need to be tightened up in future to avoid situations like this one.

It's something of a grey area as they won't have been 'direct marketed' to the extent that they could have received a single use code, but likewise if you're sending a 'one fits all' code then it's hard to stop it spreading outside of that circle.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

It's something of a grey area as they won't have been 'direct marketed' to the extent that they could have received a single use code, but likewise if you're sending a 'one fits all' code then it's hard to stop it spreading outside of that circle.

I won't be upset if one of the conditions is employee ID, that some of these who jumped on it won't have. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I won't be upset if one of the conditions is employee ID, that some of these who jumped on it won't have. 

Me neither, but I expect Tottenham will either say they haven't got the extra resources to put such checks in place, or will bill the RFL accordingly who, having already taken the hit on the tickets, probably won't want to pay the extra to put the checks in place. Personally I'd just cancel everything that hasn't been sent to an NHS email address.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Me neither, but I expect Tottenham will either say they haven't got the extra resources to put such checks in place, or will bill the RFL accordingly who, having already taken the hit on the tickets, probably won't want to pay the extra to put the checks in place. Personally I'd just cancel everything that hasn't been sent to an NHS email address.

It's interesting too that many of those spreading the code were the ones calling it a farce. 

Almost like they wanted it to be a farce. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's interesting too that many of those spreading the code were the ones calling it a farce. 

You don’t have single step codes like that unless you’re happy for them to be shared outside of the initial group.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It is still a bit of a farce though. If you introduce any promo code there is a chance of it being leaked. Common sense says that you provide T's & C's if it's applied or further verification to ensure it's only being used by the people it was intended for. When you've got browser extensions like Honey that search for promo codes it's a bit naïve to think it wouldn't get out. It found its way pretty quickly onto sites advertising promo code deals (I'm assuming it wasn't on there initially).

Even though the RFL have said no one who isn't eligible will receive tickets aren't the tickets print at home? So people have already got the tickets. Plus some no doubt bought them in good faith using a promo code that anyone could use. So some may have now made arrangements to go to the final having previously been unable to afford it only for the tickets to potentially be cancelled.

Definitely a farce.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

You don’t have single step codes like that unless you’re happy for them to be shared outside of the initial group.

We use links for exclusive offers regularly, and we aren't disappointed if we get a few extra sales from it. 

They really should have flashed up an NHS condition to deter people using it, but it doesn't change the fact that people are crying out to be outraged. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

We use links for exclusive offers regularly, and we aren't disappointed if we get a few extra sales from it. 

They really should have flashed up an NHS condition to deter people using it, but it doesn't change the fact that people are crying out to be outraged. 

Yes, I think this is incompetence rather than anything else but when you slash staff numbers and do things on the cheap then you make mistakes like this more likely.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)