Jump to content

One for the nerds.


Recommended Posts

In today's St George vs South Sydney game,all the points were scored at one end of the pitch,the score being 32-0 at half time and 32-12 at full time.

According to my basic maths,that's 44 points scored,all at one end. I wonder if that is a record,indeed  are such occurrences recorded?

Bit of a pain for those at the "quiet" end unless they had 20/20 vision.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


7 minutes ago, JF1 said:

In today's St George vs South Sydney game,all the points were scored at one end of the pitch,the score being 32-0 at half time and 32-12 at full time.

According to my basic maths,that's 44 points scored,all at one end. I wonder if that is a record,indeed  are such occurrences recorded?

Bit of a pain for those at the "quiet" end unless they had 20/20 vision.

Batley must be able to boast more than that.

  • Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm annoyed with myself that when I read the title 'One for the nerds' I thought, I'm going to enjoy this!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I'm annoyed with myself that when I read the title 'One for the nerds' I thought, I'm going to enjoy this!

I doubt there’s a regular on this forum who isn’t a nerd tbf. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I doubt there’s a regular on this forum who isn’t a nerd tbf. 

I'm proud of the fact I'm a nerd. In my opinion there's nothing sexier than a nice graph or table of statistics or any map of any kind. I can lose hours just reading random tables of numbers. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'm proud of the fact I'm a nerd. In my opinion there's nothing sexier than a nice graph or table of statistics or any map of any kind. I can lose hours just reading random tables of numbers. 

I could spend many joyful hours perfecting a spreadsheet.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

I doubt there’s a regular on this forum who isn’t a nerd tbf. 

I admit to be being a total nerd

* Rugby League (Especially France)

* County Cricket

* Kent Non League Football

* Pirate radio

* Hornby model railways

I claim 10 out of 10 for nerdness:)

 

Paul 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I admit to be being a total nerd

* Rugby League (Especially France)

* County Cricket

* Kent Non League Football

* Pirate radio

* Hornby model railways

I claim 10 out of 10 for nerdness:)

 

Paul 

Agree will all them apart from replacing Kent football with railways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

David Middleton used to be the #1 stats guru for NRL. I can't find his FB or twitter page so maybe someone else can find him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, RayCee said:

I'm a nerd but this question is in another stratosphere. 

It should be easy if you have the raw data since most game records include the HT score. You would then design a search like

(column A or B = 0 @ HT) and

(column with non-zero value HT = FT) and

(column with zero value HT equals or exceeds 0 at FT)

(order results by size)

 

I'm sure there would be low-scoring games where it was, say 10-0 at HT then 10-0 at FT but as for the highest, hmm ..?

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought I was a nerd until a few weeks ago when I popped round my mates house who I've known for 20 odd years and he came out as a HAM radio nut. Completely took it to a new level for the next 2 hours telling me all about call signs and Romanian monastries. He only stopped when I informed I didn't give a 5hit and he needed to, please, stop!

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, RayCee said:

I'm a nerd but this question is in another stratosphere. 

You might have been better suggesting it's in another "mesosphere" as that's a higher layer of the Earth's atmosphere, the one above the stratosphere. Fortunately you didn't equate it to being in another "troposphere" as that's the lowest layer.

  • Haha 2

Sky Sports Jenna Brooks to Jake Connor regarding England selection : "Shaun Wane has said that he's spoken to you about why you were left out, he's also said he's told you what you needed to do more of, I'm interested, what do you need to do more of and did you do it tonight?"

Jake Connor : "I don't know, to be honest I haven't spoken to him."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't you think there's a dearth of really exciting stories/arguments lately?

The mood in this place seems to have fallen out of the troposphere and is grubbing about on the ground.

Why do you think that is?

There's so much going on, and so much to look forward to and to be excited about, a World Cup, new business partners, more televised games than ever, new money for ground improvements, a new challenger (Huddersfield) to the games elite, new teams (Cornwall and Midlands), a great CC final. 

Yet this place feels as flat as a pancake. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I admit to be being a total nerd

* Hornby model railways

 

Paul 

Ah but do you have a fleet of Class 142s and 150s in your rail shed like your favourite psychedelic poultry friend or do you just go in for the more conventional steam engines?? 😏

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Ah but do you have a fleet of Class 142s and 150s in your rail shed like your favourite psychedelic poultry friend or do you just go in for the more conventional steam engines?? 😏

Dear me.  🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nah i can think of one off the top of my head which smashes that:

Leigh v Huddersfield, 2016 Super 8's

Half time - Leigh 42-10 Huddersfield

Full time Leigh 48 - 40 Huddersfield

76 points at one end.

 

Also recall Huddersfield losing 52-46 to Leeds in 2001, both halves seemed to be end to end although i can't remember much about the scoring pattern, theres a possibility both ends saw vast amounts of points!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, daz39 said:

Nah i can think of one off the top of my head which smashes that:

Leigh v Huddersfield, 2016 Super 8's

Half time - Leigh 42-10 Huddersfield

Full time Leigh 48 - 40 Huddersfield

76 points at one end.

 

Also recall Huddersfield losing 52-46 to Leeds in 2001, both halves seemed to be end to end although i can't remember much about the scoring pattern, theres a possibility both ends saw vast amounts of points!

But the aim is that one end has to have had zero points.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

But the aim is that one end has to have had zero points.

Does it? i thought it was just amount of points at one end, OP doesn't actually state it has to be zero.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JF1 said:

Thanks for the replies,gents. I meant where all of the points were scored at one end only.

 

Fair enough, my apologies i misunderstood.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

I thought I was a nerd until a few weeks ago when I popped round my mates house who I've known for 20 odd years and he came out as a HAM radio nut. Completely took it to a new level for the next 2 hours telling me all about call signs and Romanian monastries. He only stopped when I informed I didn't give a 5hit and he needed to, please, stop!

Brill when i was a little boy a neighbour 3 doors down used to speak to the King of Jordan all the time.

 

Paul

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, JF1 said:

In today's St George vs South Sydney game,all the points were scored at one end of the pitch,the score being 32-0 at half time and 32-12 at full time.

According to my basic maths,that's 44 points scored,all at one end. I wonder if that is a record,indeed  are such occurrences recorded?

Bit of a pain for those at the "quiet" end unless they had 20/20 vision.

Broncos v Titans earlier this season comes close…..55-4 …and I was sat at the southern end were the 4 was scored!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Ah but do you have a fleet of Class 142s and 150s in your rail shed like your favourite psychedelic poultry friend or do you just go in for the more conventional steam engines?? 😏

I am a Mallard man myself:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...