Jump to content

Help secure the future of our club.


Recommended Posts


Rumours are rife that we need 25k to finish the season so every little helps however the lack of transparency by the board is alarming, in the past we have had the likes of Bill Dobie and John Stobbart who would help out for what in reality is a small amount of money for the likes of those fellas, I would assume they have already been approached and maybe that's the reason there has been a massive lack of acknowledgement from the club about the Sc fund raiser.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They the club  seem to be putting their faith in bringing in a bumper crowd for the Dewsbury game, and hope that the 3k at the final will turn up at £10 per person.

While we may get a 1500 gate don't seem to feel the enthusiasm that built the gate for the final. I don't live local so can't go by the feeling in the area.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Brookie said:

Just gone up another £20. To be honest they'll struggle to reach target with no comments from the BOD, who are 100% responsible for this mess

At the start of this season there were 3 directors & no chairman. An invitation was put out on social media & the press for anyone who would like to be a director, some people answered the call, money was raised to allow the club to START the season, without these people there would be no club. Is it any wonder that nobody wants to be a director, when as volunteers, (who incidentally all pay to get in on matchday as well), they get slated by anonymous trolls on here & even get slated for trying to keep the club going. Here's my prediction, directors will leave again at the end of this season, putting the future of the club in jeopardy yet again. Why you might ask? Well put your names forward & find out how easy it is instead of whinging on here about people you don't know, volunteering to to do work you know nothing about for no reward except to be slagged off by a bunch of idiots. Just give it a go, what do you have to lose! 

  • Like 8
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nero said:

Well put your names forward & find out how easy it is instead of whinging on here about people you don't know, volunteering to to do work you know nothing about for no reward except to be slagged off by a bunch of idiots.

On your hoss again Ron lad.  You would be a good addition to the Town board? (sensible, wealthy, a good 'quality' person).

I've bolded a passage because I think the Workington Town fans, many of them at least, actually do not know the current Town board members.

And so yes that may be a problem to somehow overcome. I think back to many former board members - Kenny Wilson, Steve Williams, Kevan Gorge, Tom Mitchell, George Graham, Wilf Harrison oh heck I could  go on forever...may god bless them all. BUT my point is I still class all those guys as HIGH PROFILE directors...and they all had the fans respect for being of that high profile.....Directors who were often writing articles in the club progamme or local press...none of this takes place today.

I'm not by any means saying myself or many others disrespect the current BOD, no way. However they, the BOD, perhaps need to converse with fans who I'm sure would welcome any comments via any media avenue available.....how does that sound Ron?

Oh and finally I post on here in good faith, as a long term loyal fan - hopefully I don't fall into that category of a "bunch of idiots"?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Nero said:

At the start of this season there were 3 directors & no chairman. An invitation was put out on social media & the press for anyone who would like to be a director, some people answered the call, money was raised to allow the club to START the season, without these people there would be no club. Is it any wonder that nobody wants to be a director, when as volunteers, (who incidentally all pay to get in on matchday as well), they get slated by anonymous trolls on here & even get slated for trying to keep the club going. Here's my prediction, directors will leave again at the end of this season, putting the future of the club in jeopardy yet again. Why you might ask? Well put your names forward & find out how easy it is instead of whinging on here about people you don't know, volunteering to to do work you know nothing about for no reward except to be slagged off by a bunch of idiots. Just give it a go, what do you have to lose! 

Idiots is a bit harsh mate, more like concerned paying fans asking for a update from the club as to what went wrong this season and why we are struggling financially and what the near future holds, other clubs do it that are run off a volunteered board as our is. Maybe if the board were a bit open then fans would be more willing to help.

Not all people have the time or the ability to help run a business.

UTT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, chromedome said:

On your hoss again Ron lad.  You would be a good addition to the Town board? (sensible, wealthy, a good 'quality' person).

I've bolded a passage because I think the Workington Town fans, many of them at least, actually do not know the current Town board members.

And so yes that may be a problem to somehow overcome. I think back to many former board members - Kenny Wilson, Steve Williams, Kevan Gorge, Tom Mitchell, George Graham, Wilf Harrison oh heck I could  go on forever...may god bless them all. BUT my point is I still class all those guys as HIGH PROFILE directors...and they all had the fans respect for being of that high profile.....Directors who were often writing articles in the club progamme or local press...none of this takes place today.

I'm not by any means saying myself or many others disrespect the current BOD, no way. However they, the BOD, perhaps need to converse with fans who I'm sure would welcome any comments via any media avenue available.....how does that sound Ron?

Oh and finally I post on here in good faith, as a long term loyal fan - hopefully I don't fall into that category of a "bunch of idiots"?

Of course you don’t Keith, I respect all you’ve done for the club over the years. I’m just fed up with people knocking the volunteers at the club, the directors are of course supporters who are trying to save the club. Town are no longer in a position to do anything other than struggle at the minute, waiting for the next miracle. Somebody called for the sacking of the board!!! Bye bye Workington Town then! Boils my p**s!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Nero said:

At the start of this season there were 3 directors & no chairman. An invitation was put out on social media & the press for anyone who would like to be a director, some people answered the call, money was raised to allow the club to START the season, without these people there would be no club. Is it any wonder that nobody wants to be a director, when as volunteers, (who incidentally all pay to get in on matchday as well), they get slated by anonymous trolls on here & even get slated for trying to keep the club going. Here's my prediction, directors will leave again at the end of this season, putting the future of the club in jeopardy yet again. Why you might ask? Well put your names forward & find out how easy it is instead of whinging on here about people you don't know, volunteering to to do work you know nothing about for no reward except to be slagged off by a bunch of idiots. Just give it a go, what do you have to lose! 

There’s no doubt it’s a thankless task and I wouldn’t  do it for a carriage clock but your problems probably haven’t happened overnight and may be the reason you were left with so few on the board at the start of the season. Looking from the outside it appears to be the lack of communication from your Board that is the problem and is frustrating the fans hence the “whinging” as you call it. There would probably be a more sympathetic response if the Board opened up to the fans. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is why I’ve jacked in posting here. We need the fans , help help help but don’t criticise or call anyone as you’re a troll , an away fan , keep quiet you know nowt . Absolute cheek and disgrace what’s happened this year and what fans get for questioning , goodbye 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marrafan said:

There’s no doubt it’s a thankless task and I wouldn’t  do it for a carriage clock but your problems probably haven’t happened overnight and may be the reason you were left with so few on the board at the start of the season. Looking from the outside it appears to be the lack of communication from your Board that is the problem and is frustrating the fans hence the “whinging” as you call it. There would probably be a more sympathetic response if the Board opened up to the fans. 

Three or four years ago, a director of the club took it on himself to converse with the fans on social media, giving updates on everything associated with the club. This was widely welcomed by the majority of fans, but a small minority took every opportunity to insult him & decry everything he put on, even taking the p**s out of his job, the clothes he likes to wear & the fact he also previously promoted Whitehaven having worked for a major sponsor of theirs. It got so bad he stood down as director, he is still associated with the club & promotes it as much as he can, but after that experience, who in their right mind would put themselves forward to be the club's social media contact.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Nero said:

Three or four years ago, a director of the club took it on himself to converse with the fans on social media, giving updates on everything associated with the club. This was widely welcomed by the majority of fans, but a small minority took every opportunity to insult him & decry everything he put on, even taking the p**s out of his job, the clothes he likes to wear & the fact he also previously promoted Whitehaven having worked for a major sponsor of theirs. It got so bad he stood down as director, he is still associated with the club & promotes it as much as he can, but after that experience, who in their right mind would put themselves forward to be the club's social media contact.

Yep to be in a position with that format you've clearly got to be thick skinned - or those who back stab will get you in the end (no pun intended). And we all have a breaking point.

However even this guy, your mate it seems, hit out recently while classifying all of us Townies on the forum as "keyboard warriors". While prior to that I read his input, very informative..... he lost me with that kw post though and I do feel angry at his 'shotgun attitude' with us forum Townies. UTT

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Nero said:

Three or four years ago, a director of the club took it on himself to converse with the fans on social media, giving updates on everything associated with the club. This was widely welcomed by the majority of fans, but a small minority took every opportunity to insult him & decry everything he put on, even taking the p**s out of his job, the clothes he likes to wear & the fact he also previously promoted Whitehaven having worked for a major sponsor of theirs. It got so bad he stood down as director, he is still associated with the club & promotes it as much as he can, but after that experience, who in their right mind would put themselves forward to be the club's social media contact.

What has any of this got to do with the current directors not being forthcoming with information about our current state ? It would take 15 minutes for someone to put an open and honest statement on the club website. How much the club actually needs to get to the end of the season would be a start.

All this stuff you are writing is classic diversion tactics, avoid the real issue and deflect blame elsewhere. Nobody is blaming the directors for the club’s financial plight because that’s largely out of their control. But communication is within their control and whether you like it or not it has been abysmal in this situation.

  • Like 3

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think everyone accepts the BOD are hard working volunteers who give up their spare time to run the club. However if you put yourself in that position you do put your head above the parapit and may face criticism. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Derwent said:

What has any of this got to do with the current directors not being forthcoming with information about our current state ? It would take 15 minutes for someone to put an open and honest statement on the club website. How much the club actually needs to get to the end of the season would be a start.

All this stuff you are writing is classic diversion tactics, avoid the real issue and deflect blame elsewhere. Nobody is blaming the directors for the club’s financial plight because that’s largely out of their control. But communication is within their control and whether you like it or not it has been abysmal in this situation.

Excellent post, no excuses for the silence. The last club statement was made on the 22nd of July ending with further updates to follow !!! Where are these updates. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

What has any of this got to do with the current directors not being forthcoming with information about our current state ? It would take 15 minutes for someone to put an open and honest statement on the club website. How much the club actually needs to get to the end of the season would be a start.

All this stuff you are writing is classic diversion tactics, avoid the real issue and deflect blame elsewhere. Nobody is blaming the directors for the club’s financial plight because that’s largely out of their control. But communication is within their control and whether you like it or not it has been abysmal in this situation.

Unfortunately if the B.o D came out and publicized the clubs financial details it may cause panic with their suppliers and creditors, creating a bankruptcy threat that isn't really there, yes money is tight but it can be managed, loose talk and speculation can only make the situation worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

What has any of this got to do with the current directors not being forthcoming with information about our current state ? It would take 15 minutes for someone to put an open and honest statement on the club website. How much the club actually needs to get to the end of the season would be a start.

All this stuff you are writing is classic diversion tactics, avoid the real issue and deflect blame elsewhere. Nobody is blaming the directors for the club’s financial plight because that’s largely out of their control. But communication is within their control and whether you like it or not it has been abysmal in this situation.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. The club’s financial affairs are never disclosed to any bar the shareholders. That applies to any business. I’m not diverting anything, I’m giving my honest opinion. I have nothing to do with the club bar being a supporter!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nero said:

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. The club’s financial affairs are never disclosed to any bar the shareholders. That applies to any business. I’m not diverting anything, I’m giving my honest opinion. I have nothing to do with the club bar being a supporter!

Well I’m a shareholder and I’ve been told precisely nowt ! Nobody is asking for a detailed breakdown of the club’s finances, just broad brush information. Last time we were in this situation 6 years ago the board publicly stated what was required and the target was reached. This time we have a fundraising page set up by supporters with an arbitrary target - people are being asked to donate with no idea whether the £10k is enough or if it’s just plugging a small gap. The board created this situation by publishing the statements they did and then going into total radio silence ever since, that’s not good management even if they are volunteers.

  • Like 2

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Well I’m a shareholder and I’ve been told precisely nowt ! Nobody is asking for a detailed breakdown of the club’s finances, just broad brush information. Last time we were in this situation 6 years ago the board publicly stated what was required and the target was reached. This time we have a fundraising page set up by supporters with an arbitrary target - people are being asked to donate with no idea whether the £10k is enough or if it’s just plugging a small gap. The board created this situation by publishing the statements they did and then going into total radio silence ever since, that’s not good management even if they are volunteers.

Did you ask for the financial overview? As a shareholder, you can ask for an extraordinary shareholders meeting! In a live financial situation you'd probably learn nothing anyway because as money comes in bills do as well. The board said they are trying to secure the future of the club! What more do you want them to say?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't like the criticism of some of the fans on here who are genuine life long supporters, we are all gutted at whats happened this season and we all want what's best for the club and im sure we will all get behind the club. I'm sure all the fans are appreciative of the efforts of everyone that is involved with the club and its a thankless task, but they do have the right to ask questions about whats going on UTT

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/08/2022 at 11:10, Peter Winthorpe said:

They the club  seem to be putting their faith in bringing in a bumper crowd for the Dewsbury game, and hope that the 3k at the final will turn up at £10 per person.

While we may get a 1500 gate don't seem to feel the enthusiasm that built the gate for the final. I don't live local so can't go by the feeling in the area.

Why would we get a bumper crowd for the Dewsbury game  ? Even at a tenner, I cant see the average floating fan being that interested in watching 2 nailed on relegated teams. I won't be missing it but was tempted to go to Whitehaven to watch Workington cricket team in the Higson Cup final. I will be at DP, but unfortunately I know a few Townies who will opt for the cricket. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Workington74 said:

I don't like the criticism of some of the fans on here who are genuine life long supporters, we are all gutted at whats happened this season and we all want what's best for the club and im sure we will all get behind the club. I'm sure all the fans are appreciative of the efforts of everyone that is involved with the club and its a thankless task, but they do have the right to ask questions about whats going on UTT

I'm sure if the club had been more transparent earlier on in the season the club would not have been in the position of asking players to make a pay cut s ect, the loyal  supporters would have got on board straight away and raised the funds required then  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Unicorn 106 said:

Why would we get a bumper crowd for the Dewsbury game  ? 

To help try and save a beleaguered club?

Out of respect and admiration for these players who continue to make a fist of it every week?

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Idiot" that I am, I totally agree with Derwent about lack of communication from the club/Bod though. Other than Nero's 'fiddling' the silence is baffling. How are things going? Are we anywhere near the target of 3000 tickets sold? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't be the only one who's concerned for the survival of the club. If fans turn their backs on the club and don't turn  up for the two home games, will the club go bust?

Surely somebody from the board can call a public meeting tio explain situation and lead a call to arms for a partnership with fans to save our beloved club?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...