Giants v Salford GF

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Of course 

Go on then.

Assume I am a casual sports fan.  I am aware of both Wigan and Saints as two of the biggest names in the sport and I am probably aware that this final will be a local derby with all the extra intensity and rivalry that goes with it.

Sell me why Huddersfield vs. Salford would be a more attractive final for me to watch.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I’d say it’s not casual sports fan but casual rl fans that are more important to attract and as a casual rl fan the idea of going and watching another Wigan saint/Leeds final again….we’ll been there done that.  Not interested in going again. Two new teams yes please guaranteed new winner. 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, redsi42 said:

I’d say it’s not casual sports fan but casual rl fans that are more important to attract and as a casual rl fan the idea of going and watching another Wigan saint/Leeds final again….we’ll been there done that.  Not interested in going again. Two new teams yes please guaranteed new winner. 

I think that's a fair point.  Although I suspect it is more relevant for the attendance moreso than the TV audience.

After a full season, I think it is unlikely that a casual Rugby League fan wouldn't watch the Grand Final even if they were frustrated that it was two of the usual suspects.  They may decide not to go to the game though but I am still pretty sure a Saints Wigan Grand Final would sell out.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Honestly I wouldn’t even bother watching, they have been dominating for too long and it boring.

I don’t have a sky subscription but I would fork out for a now tv pass if I couldn’t make the game if a new team was going to get the name on the trophy.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Go on then.

Assume I am a casual sports fan.  I am aware of both Wigan and Saints as two of the biggest names in the sport and I am probably aware that this final will be a local derby with all the extra intensity and rivalry that goes with it.

Sell me why Huddersfield vs. Salford would be a more attractive final for me to watch.

With me unlike the majority of this board not being a marketing guru that the RFL can't afford to employ I can't off the top of my head think of one , but I'm sure there is one , if not , then sod it , let's just rotate Leeds,Wigan and Saints every 2 years , don't even bother with a season or play offs , just have a GF , player welfare and all that 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

With me unlike the majority of this board not being a marketing guru that the RFL can't afford to employ I can't off the top of my head think of one , but I'm sure there is one , if not , then sod it , let's just rotate Leeds,Wigan and Saints every 2 years , don't even bother with a season or play offs , just have a GF , player welfare and all that 

No excuse not to have more internationals in that system though I don't know how you could have a mid-season international unless it is played at halftime during the grand final/season opener. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

OK, no worries.  I just thought that as you said it would be much easier then you maybe had some ideas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, redsi42 said:

Honestly I wouldn’t even bother watching, they have been dominating for too long and it boring.

I don’t have a sky subscription but I would fork out for a now tv pass if I couldn’t make the game if a new team was going to get the name on the trophy.  

Don't get me wrong, I would much prefer to see a Giants Salford final.

I am just suggesting that I don't think a final between two of Wigan, Saints, Leeds or Catalan is as big a problem for the game as some think... plenty of sports leagues have had a dominant few teams without particular negative consequences. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

OK, no worries.  I just thought that as you said it would be much easier then you maybe had some ideas.

Many times on here the ' Guru's ' have made much of the ' narrative ' when selling events , so if it's Any 2 of Saints,Wigan,Leeds it's the same narrative we've already read umpteen times in recent years , why make it easy for them ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I am just suggesting that I don't think a final between two of Wigan, Saints, Leeds or Catalan is as big a problem for the game as some think... plenty of sports leagues have had a dominant few teams without particular negative consequences. 

Football you mean ?

Well as someone who already has tickets and goes every year I don't see the problem. Just buy a ticket and go you miserable barstewards.

• Like 4

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

A lot of the sports that have dominant teams/players that are successful also have bonafide world recognised super stars that are household names that the casual sports fan can get behind,  once a year.  

because we have the same teams playing in finals all the time it makes the sport seem feel smaller.   

the promotion of our game is bobbins and if not relying on the big teams to bring in the crowds means the pr department has to work harder to sell the game then great it’s about time they earned their wage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

A Giants Salford Grand Final would be great for us hard core fans as we would see a new Super League winner and it would be after what no doubt would have been an unpredictable and hopefully dramatic play off campaign. 

But it wouldn't particularly do a lot for the sport as whole.  There are some people who only get interested in the sport properly at the Grand Final or Challenge Cup Final time and the biggest teams in those games will attract the most interest.

Which FA Cup Final would attract the biggest audience, Man City vs. Liverpool or Bournemouth vs. Wolves?

I’d watch Bournemouth v Wolves but would rather watch a blank screen than Liverpool v Citeh in the cup final. I know many would disagree though! 

32 minutes ago, redsi42 said:

Now tv sky sports have a 12 month offer at £25 a month at the moment, bargain tbf, especially if you enjoy watching NFL. 

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Now tv sky sports have a 12 month offer at £25 a month at the moment, bargain tbf, especially if you enjoy watching NFL. 

Not a bad deal but I have gamepass for nfl.  I’m not really interested enough in other sports to bother with sky.  

another lesson the rfl could learn about streaming.  Some of the games in France haven’t even had commentary available. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, redsi42 said:

Not a bad deal but I have gamepass for nfl.  I’m not really interested enough in other sports to bother with sky.  

another lesson the rfl could learn about streaming.  Some of the games in France haven’t even had commentary available. 

Are the RFL producing The French streaming?

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

24 minutes ago, Padge said:

Are the RFL producing The French streaming?

Is there a streaming service in France covering the game?

what I meant was I couldn’t find any coverage for some of the French games live.  Not even radio or online commentary.  It’s just not good enough for a professional sport.

we should have a streaming service for games not on tv.

Edited by redsi42
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, redsi42 said:

Is there a streaming service in France covering the game?

what I meant was I couldn’t find any coverage for some of the French games live.  Not even radio or online commentary.  It’s just not good enough for a professional sport.

we should have a streaming service for games not on tv.

The French game isn’t professional. Also are premier league games available on a streaming service (genuine question I don’t know). 

43 minutes ago, redsi42 said:

Agreed, if you pay for Sky sports basically 90% of that is paying for premier league football and the other 10% if for all the other chaff that’s on, other than rugby league. That’s why I sacked it off and went with now tv so I can cancel it any time. 

I’m sure Catalan are a professional team.  I couldn’t find any coverage of the salford Catalan game anywhere.  

I don’t know if there is a football streaming service  but it sure gets enough coverage on tv.