Giants v Salford GF

2 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Eh, isn't the football team Salford City? someone mentioned United fans seeing silverware, i presume the United referred to MANCHESTER rather than Salford?

Yes it's Salford City, the United reference was Manchester United because they are the Red Devils too.

5 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Eh, isn't the football team Salford City? someone mentioned United fans seeing silverware, i presume the United referred to MANCHESTER rather than Salford?

Both Salford and Utd are known as Red Devils.

more likely that the Red Devils of Salford will be lifting some silverware this season than the Manchester Red Devils.

30 minutes ago, daz39 said:

1997 Avg = 3,961

1998 Avg = 4,462

1999 Avg = 3,540

Season after winning the cup their crowds were down 900

Thanks for that info. Could be loads of reasons for that of course, and it doesn’t look great, but look at those averages over three years, Sheffield could be a really strong championship side if they could get half that now. 

39 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’ve had a look and can’t find any info about their crowds in 98 and 99, there must have been a bounce though surely? 

Nope, I am holiday at the moment so not got access to my figures but its a definite no.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Where are them fans now? The Red Devils are playing entertaining Rugby

No idea - point is they did and have the ability to sell far more this time.

I do know the club has done well to survive following possibly the worst facilitated ground move in the history of sport. Destroying their home - needlessly given Cas and other Yorkie stadiums - moving next to a sewage farm with zero infrastructure was bound to impact. Club has superb leadership, hugely improved community links - and is living within it means and growing, steadily but surely. If bid for stadium accepted it will be a bright new future for RL in GM.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

No idea - point is they did and have the ability to sell far more this time.

I do know the club has done well to survive following possibly the worst facilitated ground move in the history of sport. Destroying their home - needlessly given Cas and other Yorkie stadiums - moving next to a sewage farm with zero infrastructure was bound to impact. Club has superb leadership, hugely improved community links - and is living within it means and growing, steadily but surely. If bid for stadium accepted it will be a bright new future for RL in GM.

I know absolutely nothing about the stadium or surroundings of the new stadium but what exactly are the real problems with Barton?

Poor parking? Poor transport links? Stadium in the middle of nowhere with no pre-match food&drink facilities?

6 minutes ago, Tosh said:

I know absolutely nothing about the stadium or surroundings of the new stadium but what exactly are the real problems with Barton?

Poor parking? Poor transport links? Stadium in the middle of nowhere with no pre-match food&drink facilities?

It felt just a bit out of the way and soulless when I went a few years ago - if Wakefield had gone with Newmarket that would have been the same imo. 

I understand it has improved since then.

41 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It felt just a bit out of the way and soulless when I went a few years ago - if Wakefield had gone with Newmarket that would have been the same imo. 

The ground hasn't changed one bit since it was built so not sure how that aspect could have improved. 

A link road on the A57 was built a few years back which improved traffic flow to/from the ground which is the main improvement. However, the stadium location was never as big an issue as away fans made it out. I mean it's barely a quarter of a mile from the M60 so easily accessible for fans from both sides of the Pennines. Sure it takes a bit of time to get away from the ground after the game but that's the same at most SL grounds. 

Plenty of ways around having to use the club car park if you're worried about getting home 10 minutes quicker after the game. Park at Salford Roosters and walk the 15/20 mins to the ground (or park on one of the terrace streets near Peel Green Roundabout) or at Barton airport which is a 10 minute walk from the ground. Hell, you can even rock up an hour before the game and have a pint in the Barley Farm Pub, a 5 min walk from the ground and get free parking!

Some RL Fans will use any excuse not to travel to away games and the inaccessibility myth just snowballed due to all the waffle spread online.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I’ve heard similar things. Would be interesting to find out if Salford fans prefer this new stadium over the willows?

3 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

The ground hasn't changed one bit since it was built so not sure how that aspect could have improved. 

A link road on the A57 was built a few years back which improved traffic flow to/from the ground which is the main improvement. However, the stadium location was never as big an issue as away fans made it out. I mean it's barely a quarter of a mile from the M60 so easily accessible for fans from both sides of the Pennines. Sure it takes a bit of time to get away from the ground after the game but that's the same at most SL grounds. 

Plenty of ways around having to use the club car park if you're worried about getting home 10 minutes quicker after the game. Park at Salford Roosters and walk the 15/20 mins to the ground (or park on one of the terrace streets near Peel Green Roundabout) or at Barton airport which is a 10 minute walk from the ground. Hell, you can even rock up an hour before the game and have a pint in the Barley Farm Pub, a 5 min walk from the ground and get free parking!

Some RL Fans will use any excuse not to travel to away games and the inaccessibility myth just snowballed due to all the waffle spread online.

Why should anyone need an excuse  (or a reason) not to travel to away games? 

7 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

The location is more an issue for the home fans as I recall 

The stadium itself is good , if a little weird feeling with the big stand , more fans would sort that out , good thing is the standing ends , for the Salford ' ultra's ' 😀 and the away fans , that does help with the atmosphere 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

Given that i have been an away fan, I think you're directing your ire in the wrong direction. As I understand seating along the side has increased which has boosted atmosphere somewhat, though I hope the catering has gotten better too.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Given that i have been an away fan, I think you're directing your ire in the wrong direction. As I understand seating along the side has increased which has boosted atmosphere somewhat, though I hope the catering has gotten better too.

No ire aimed at you at all. Merely pointing out that I've heard some right nonsense as to why some away fans won't travel (and a few home fans as well). Yes it's a bit further out for some Salfordians but you make the extra effort if you're a proper fan right?

The seating along the side has never changed. West and East stands have always been all-seater. South & North (behind the sticks) have always been standing terraces 

Catering is standard for any sports stadium, cra* and overpriced.😁

8 hours ago, Tosh said:

I’ve heard similar things. Would be interesting to find out if Salford fans prefer this new stadium over the willows?

I doubt you'll get any Salford fans who prefer the AJ Bell over The Willows but it is what it is and it's becoming a little bit more like home. We should have been allowed to redevelop the old ground as it was more convenient for home fans to get to but that one's been done to death. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SalfordSlim said:

No ire aimed at you at all. Merely pointing out that I've heard some right nonsense as to why some away fans won't travel (and a few home fans as well). Yes it's a bit further out for some Salfordians but you make the extra effort if you're a proper fan right?

The seating along the side has never changed. West and East stands have always been all-seater. South & North (behind the sticks) have always been standing terraces 

Catering is standard for any sports stadium, cra* and overpriced.😁

Of course, but the "true fan barometer" doesn't help when your trying to grow regular attendees.

I know the layout hasn't changed, but to my own view it seems the smaller side stand has been utilised more than previously.

Catering has hopefully improved.

12 hours ago, daz39 said:

The reference was to the 'Red Devil's', the original Red Devil's' being Salford named so by a French journalist "Le Diablo Rouge" on Salford's French tour in 1932,  Man U just adopted it or is the better word 'stole' it from their near neighbour across the ship canal.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JohnM said:

Why should anyone need an excuse  (or a reason) not to travel to away games? 

Rugby League fans love an excuse!😁 I honestly think there's a bit of a lethargy with a lot of fans in travelling to away games. If a 60 minute journey gets extended to 75 mins due to roadworks etc rather than set off early they just won't bother. Maybe I'm being harsh but I just get that impression. In a similar fashion a lot of fans won't go to cup/play-off games because it's "not part of my season ticket". 

Easy for me to say as a single guy with no wife/kids/mortgage etc to take into account of course.😁

44 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Rugby League fans love an excuse!😁 I honestly think there's a bit of a lethargy with a lot of fans in travelling to away games. If a 60 minute journey gets extended to 75 mins due to roadworks etc rather than set off early they just won't bother. Maybe I'm being harsh but I just get that impression. In a similar fashion a lot of fans won't go to cup/play-off games because it's "not part of my season ticket". 

Easy for me to say as a single guy with no wife/kids/mortgage etc to take into account of course.😁

My team Leigh is in the Championship and I get to as many away games as is possible, but it is quite easy to do so with the majority of games being regular on a Sunday afternoon with a 3.00pm kick off, even good for the families who wish to attend, but if we go up I will probably cut back on some especially those trans Pennine on Thursday or Friday nights, it's not the going it's getting back to late then having to walk 1.5 miles back across town from the bus drop off.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

My team Leigh is in the Championship and I get to as many away games as is possible, but it is quite easy to do so with the majority of games being regular on a Sunday afternoon with a 3.00pm kick off, even good for the families who wish to attend, but if we go up I will probably cut back on some especially those trans Pennine on Thursday or Friday nights, it's not the going it's getting back to late then having to walk 1.5 miles back across town from the bus drop off.

Have you tried the train Harry ? 😉

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JohnM said:

You missed out "...and would cure all diseases, known and unknown."

Although I agree with some of your views, I really think the overall effect should not be anyway near as big as you suggest.

Size is often determined by which angle you look from, I think Hemingway said.

If there was a trophy winning Salford, (and that is a huge if) then the overall effect would for substantial for the Reds, but modest for the likes of Wigan et al.

The context being it would bring greater financial stability and agility, an ability to remain in the SL and to recover quickly if they were relegated and not suffer the same fate as a Widnes at al.

Edited by idrewthehaggis

1 hour ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Size is often determined by which angle you look from, I think Hemingway said.

If there was a trophy winning Salford, (and that is a huge if) then the overall effect would for substantial for the Reds, but modest for the likes of Wigan et al.

The context being it would bring greater financial stability and agility, an ability to remain in the SL and to recover quickly if they were relegated and not suffer the same fate as a Widnes at al.

I think that is a speculative conclusion.   Consistently winning league games at home is to me is the key. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tosh said:

As a Salford fan of over 50 years, The Willows will always be our spiritual home. But I have grown to like the A J Bell in the dozen or so times I’ve been as I live abroad. Compared to The Willows, it is modern, good views and a good atmosphere when there are a few on. As Salford Slim says, there are ways to get around the admittedly poor parking situation. Just go to the pub over the road an hour early and park there.

6 hours ago, JohnM said:

I think that is a speculative conclusion.   Consistently winning league games at home is to me is the key. 

Salford must continue need to grow the game in and around Salford, including Trafford. A lot of good work done - but a lot more needed…

On 30/08/2022 at 19:46, Tosh said:

Both Salford and Utd are known as Red Devils.

more likely that the Red Devils of Salford will be lifting some silverware this season than the Manchester Red Devils.

Ah ok, just got me confused with the City/United thing as i never know if people from Salford are referring to Salford City or Manchester City, i hadn't clocked the Red Devils connection.

• Confused 1