Brett Hodgson Sacked

5 hours ago, Jughead said:

From the outside looking in, there’s got to be underlying, long-standing issues at that club that goes well beyond whoever the coach is because they’ve finished 8th three times in the past five seasons, with sixth being the “high” in that period. Four years out of five of not finishing in the play-offs given the financial outlay and the playing roster at FC is, simply, shambolic. 

The next appointment you feel is massive for Hull. You’d think Tony Smith would be a shoe-in. Would he work with Pearson though?

Would he be happy getting beaten by his nephew Rohan? There is such a thing as pride. 😜

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

1 minute ago, RayCee said:

Would he be happy getting beaten by his nephew Rohan? There is such a thing as pride. 😜

Any successful coach at Hull FC would ensure regular beatings of that West Yorkshire lot.

Years ago, even when we were pants. we'd still beat Leeds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, Gordon Street said:

yes he's done a lousy job. Second in the league to a club that has spent a fortune. How dare fev not win every game by fifty points. 

I wanted BM. Needs someone to sort out the player culture.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

Any successful coach at Hull FC would ensure regular beatings of that West Yorkshire lot.

Years ago, even when we were pants. we'd still beat Leeds.

Your 30% win rate vs Leeds stretching back over the past 30-odd years suggests otherwise.

2 hours ago, Ullman said:

It was interesting this evening listening to Paul Cooke's take on Smith taking the Hull KR job and why he would be interested in the Hull job.  It was on BBC Radio Humberside's Talk Sport programme so is probably available on BBC Sounds if anybody's interested in hearing it.

The first thing that crossed my mind was that pearson had lined smith up for this job months ago 

Let's just squash a myth...

Hull "going through coaches". 

Hull KR have gone through 5 coaches in the last decade (not including caretakers). Same for Salford. Same for Wakefield. Leeds are on their 4th in 4 years. Huddersfield 4 in 10. Same for Saints. 

Hull? 3. People seem to forget Radford was in his seventh season, and 4 of those he missed the playoffs.

• Like 3
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Also, Hull have not recruited a head coach that was a head coach at the time of being recruited this millennium.

Shaun McRae was brought in with the merger rather than recruited for the 2000 season, and although John Kear (who replaced him) had head coach experience, he had been an assistant for 4 years (including 1 as McRae's at Hull).

Shaun McRae with the merger (2000-2004)

John Kear was his assistant. (2005-2006)

Peter Sharp was Manly assistant. (2006-2008)

Richard Agar was his assistant. (2008-2011)

Peter Gentle was Wests assistant. (2012-2013)

Lee Radford was his assistant. (2014-2020)

Andy Last (caretaker) was his assistant. (2020)

Hodgson was an assistant at Wests (2021-2022)

How are we expected to change a club culture when we keep hiring coaches with no experience of running a club, let alone running a club at a high level? In fact, we seem to have a pattern of hiring our own assistant coach as the next head coach after the previous assistant brought in from elsewhere has failed! At least that can't happen with the wiping out of the entire coaching team it seems.

And for that reason, I'd be very happy to have Tony Smith, as long as he's supported in his decisions by the board on terms of what is needed (which ultimately he wasn't at Rovers despite him bringing in results).

• Like 4

8 hours ago, M j M said:

Your 30% win rate vs Leeds stretching back over the past 30-odd years suggests otherwise.

When I mean “years ago” I really mean “years ago”, a good while before the 1990s.

• Like 1

Watson hadn't been a a coach at the top level and he was far better than the lot that had been!

Salford had coaches with a lot of experience in the past and all couldn't perform on a limited budget, Noble and McRae being the worst of the bunch.

Then the other lot such as Marshall and Harris are best forgotten.

2 hours ago, Red Willow said:

Watson hadn't been a a coach at the top level and he was far better than the lot that had been!

Salford had coaches with a lot of experience in the past and all couldn't perform on a limited budget, Noble and McRae being the worst of the bunch.

Then the other lot such as Marshall and Harris are best forgotten.

Oh I agree that you can occasionally get an absolute gem, they've obviously got to start somewhere. But you can't keep bringing in assistant after assistant when there are fundamental issues as they won't have the experience to deal with it.

There is a very interesting interview with Richard Agar on the brilliant Trinity Heritage podcasts.

He says that the two hardest gigs in RL at the moment are coaching Hull FC and Trinity but for very different reasons.

He states that he didn't enjoy his time as Head Coach at Hull but loved it at Trinity despite no money or facilities or even a training pitch at the time.

It's not a one off either as a few years ago Kear said exactly the same thing, despite winning a CCup final with Hull. 

For some reason the expensive teams Hull put together don't connect with the club, it's fans or it would appear it's coaches. Seems to be the opposite at Trinity.

No real idea as to why as both clubs have a great heritage. Nor am I suggesting that Hull live on the breadline in an old stadium and live off scraps for players. But for me there is clearly something wrong at the club and has been for years and years.

I don't think it's the coach or the team that needs shaking up, it's the rest of the club. Somebody needs to take charge who seems capable of galvanising the place and getting everyone to buy in. Whoever runs FC at present seems incapable of doing that.

Edited by Kirmonds pouch

Things can change quickly with the right coach but Hull FC have failed in that department for a long time.

I agree that they don't necessarily need a big name coach. To me they need a Michael McGuire type who came into Wigan with a highly regarded reputation having been an assistant at Melbourne under Bellamy. He was a young, ambitious coach with strong work ethic and believed in a clear culture that he wanted to implement and develop. In a very short time McGuire transformed Wigan both on and off the field and implemented a standard and culture that lasted long past his short spell at the club, even to this day.

Its easier said than done finding that person but that's what Hull need.

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Oh I agree that you can occasionally get an absolute gem, they've obviously got to start somewhere. But you can't keep bringing in assistant after assistant when there are fundamental issues as they won't have the experience to deal with it.

I think the common factor with Watson and Rowley is probably Ian Blease. He does the research on the players coming in, whether they will fit into the club and whether their attitude is aligned.

Under Koukash money was thrown at the squad and it didn't build a team.

This way of working at Salford is probably true at Wakefield. It may be what Powell is attempting at Warrington.

The big question is whether Pearson will influence the feel and attitudes at the club in a negative way.

4 hours ago, meast said:

I feel a bit for Hull fans and the coaches is employs.

From an outsider it seems that there is an underlying fundamental issue with the club, be it the owners, the players etc there just seems to be a really bad ethic there that seems the club continuously have these issues.

The issue for me is adam pearson

The dismissal of lee radford was a disgrace no matter how you reflect on it 

• Like 1

Hull are losing money at an alarming rate well over £1million year after year. Whoever takes over will have to make do with the squad assembled by Brett Hodgson because the money just isn't there any more. Adam Pearson even says that the club is unable to pay off it's government debt.

There are still several players on huge money who Hull would like to be rid of but are stuck with.

It's come at a time when Rovers are getting stronger and stronger financially with the purchase of the ground and surrounding land transforming the fortunes of the club.

Rovers have just got rid of Hull's coach for them and a another couple of derby hammerings will soon put the new Hull boss under pressure be it Tony Smith or anyone else. I wouldn't be surprised if Smith ends up turning them down just like Watson did.

3 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

Hull are losing money at an alarming rate well over £1million year after year. Whoever takes over will have to make do with the squad assembled by Brett Hodgson because the money just isn't there any more. Adam Pearson even says that the club is unable to pay off it's government debt.

There are still several players on huge money who Hull would like to be rid of but are stuck with.

It's come at a time when Rovers are getting stronger and stronger financially with the purchase of the ground and surrounding land transforming the fortunes of the club.

Rovers have just got rid of Hull's coach for them and a another couple of derby hammerings will soon put the new Hull boss under pressure be it Tony Smith or anyone else. I wouldn't be surprised if Smith ends up turning them down just like Watson did.

Yeah, we've no money but we've just paid off our coach to bring in a new one 🙄

"Let's make it about Rovers."

2 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Smith ends up turning them down just like Watson did.

The former Leeds Rhinos and Warrington Wolves boss has made no secret of his desire to get back into coaching and views the job at Hull as an exciting opportunity.

"Would I be interested? Absolutely," Smith told The Yorkshire Post.

"It's a huge club and I'd certainly be willing to talk to them. I'm a rugby league coach who isn't coaching a rugby league team at the moment."

"I also realise the size of the club and the size of the job. The potential at the club is enormous."

"I like challenges and trying to change culture if it's needed and if it's not needed, to try and enhance it. I think I've been pretty good at that most places that I've coached."

Brian Smith, Tony's brother, was in charge of the Black and Whites from 1988 to 1990, steering the club to the Premiership final in his first season.

"The fact my brother coached there many years ago isn't lost on me either," said Tony Smith.

"I went to the Boulevard and watched my brother coach and bring them back to some glory days back in those days.

"He turned the club around. They were struggling until he got there and went on to win (the Premiership) the following year after he left.

"That connection has been there since 1989 at least."

Smith, who still lives in the area following his Craven Park exit, has seen both sides of the city at close quarters in recent years.

The rivalry between the clubs would not deter the 55-year-old from taking the job at the MKM Stadium.
"It's got a massive support," he said.

"Having lived in the city you know how big it is as a club and the support they've got behind them and the desire for them to be successful. If you live or work in the area, it's not lost on anybody.

"It's a big job obviously and not a simple one. But it's a challenge I'd be prepared to look at, at least."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(But Dimmest Star obviously knows Tony Smith better than Tony Smith does)

5 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

There is a very interesting interview with Richard Agar on the brilliant Trinity Heritage podcasts.

He says that the two hardest gigs in RL at the moment are coaching Hull FC and Trinity but for very different reasons.

He states that he didn't enjoy his time as Head Coach at Hull but loved it at Trinity despite no money or facilities or even a training pitch at the time.

It's not a one off either as a few years ago Kear said exactly the same thing, despite winning a CCup final with Hull. 

For some reason the expensive teams Hull put together don't connect with the club, it's fans or it would appear it's coaches. Seems to be the opposite at Trinity.

No real idea as to why as both clubs have a great heritage. Nor am I suggesting that Hull live on the breadline in an old stadium and live off scraps for players. But for me there is clearly something wrong at the club and has been for years and years.

I don't think it's the coach or the team that needs shaking up, it's the rest of the club. Somebody needs to take charge who seems capable of galvanising the place and getting everyone to buy in. Whoever runs FC at present seems incapable of doing that.

I would agree with much of this, except the evidence you are using is 2 coaches from before Pearson's time (Agar and Kear). I mean, if the issues at the club transcend owners, then I'm not really sure what can be done unless both owners have been making the same mistakes (which to be fair, they could have been!).

I blame Danny Houghton. He's been around the longest so it just be his fault!

4 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Yeah, we've no money but we've just paid off our coach to bring in a new one 🙄

"Let's make it about Rovers."

Dimmest Star posts far more regularly on Hull FC topics than that of his own club.

As a Hull KR fan, he is obsessed with Hull FC.

Shame really, I think it was a Wakey fan who once said of him on here, "All that bitterness can't be healthy", yet he still keeps on spouting it.

Bless.

• Like 1