2023 Squad

marklaspalmas

2 hours ago, POR said:

True PH but do we need someone who will be 35 replacing them I'm sure there will be more Longstaff's and Cozza's knocking about who want to step up if not there's down under  to plunder

Who's on your short list then? I think people need to understand how stacked the system is against the club that gets promoted in terms of recruitment, Leigh this year was very much an exception to the rule for a number of reasons.

I'm not a fan of signing ageing players but if we get promoted we are probably going to need 4 or 5 new middles who can play to a competitive level in SL and they won't be easy to find.

8 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Who's on your short list then? I think people need to understand how stacked the system is against the club that gets promoted in terms of recruitment, Leigh this year was very much an exception to the rule for a number of reasons.

I'm not a fan of signing ageing players but if we get promoted we are probably going to need 4 or 5 new middles who can play to a competitive level in SL and they won't be easy to find.

Totally agree but I haven't got a short list but sure SL has my point is we brought in cozza and  longstaff  two youngsters with loads of ability  so would have thought there are more like  them who have a point to prove plus we got Mckenzie and PNG is full of robust middles waiting for a chance and if I remember right when we got into other grand finals  Martin Vickers said he got umpteen calls from OZ so would have thought if we do it again the same thing will happen I guess we will just have to wait and see what our Coach and Director of Rugby have in their bag of tricks

34 minutes ago, POR said:

Totally agree but I haven't got a short list but sure SL has my point is we brought in cozza and  longstaff  two youngsters with loads of ability  so would have thought there are more like  them who have a point to prove plus we got Mckenzie and PNG is full of robust middles waiting for a chance and if I remember right when we got into other grand finals  Martin Vickers said he got umpteen calls from OZ so would have thought if we do it again the same thing will happen I guess we will just have to wait and see what our Coach and Director of Rugby have in their bag of tricks

Of the PNG pack from the World Cup, 2 are already at London, 1 at Bradford and 2 are reportedly set to join Cas (one of them ruptured his ACL recently too). I don't think they have much depth beyond that as if if you go on the PNG Hunters FB page they are always bemoaning their lack of big forwards.

But in any event, we have very little scope for signing overseas players, especially if we are in for Austen, unless we are letting go lots of our current overseas contingent, which would leave us with gaps elsewhere.

1 hour ago, elppaxr2i said:

Liam Watts is a big rumour next year - thats another 30 years + prop more than likely replacing an older 30 years + prop

I suggest we get used to having a dads army pack now for a number of seasons 

Yes, it's a buyers' market for progressive young forwards, especially middles. We couldn't fight off SL clubs for Harrison, Halton or even Ormondroyd. Every forward under the age of about 27 who shows the slightest glimmer of promise is snapped up by SL clubs.

It's worth pointing out that our "dad's army"  middles have pretty much rolled every Championship club this season, and a lot of them have an ageing bunch of middles as well.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 1

On 31/07/2023 at 12:41, elppaxr2i said:

Liam Watts is a big rumour next year - thats another 30 years + prop more than likely replacing an older 30 years + prop

I suggest we get used to having a dads army pack now for a number of seasons 

According to matt shaw Sheffield Eagles have launched an ambitious recruitment drive that has seen them make plays for a number of Super League players And that has seen them set their sights on several familiar names such as Castleford Tigers prop Liam Watts

AND Castleford Tigers are closing in on the shock signing of Blake Austin for the rest of the Super League season. Rugby League Live can reveal the relegation-threatened club has held talks with the Rhinos about a loan move NOW that's a loan I could live with🥳:kolobok_yahoo::kolobok_laugh1:

Edited by POR

I had rather hoped that we might be angling to bring Watts in this season, he'd have been a cracking addition to the pack as we built towards the end of season crunch.

Not so sure about Massey, but anyone who can bring SL quality to the squad and on-field performance has to be welcome.

• Like 1

Had to laugh at the TRL news forum when it came to Blake Austin's future they listed three possible destinations the NRL our near neighbours and us regarding us apparently wait for it .....................

Featherstone would perhaps need to move on some of their halves to fit Austin in given the plethora of playmakers within the squad as things stand. :kolobok_grin:

3 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Can’t remember too much about Hepi, do we think, if back to his best, that he’ll make the team?.

Not very big for a forward but he does play above his weight.Another back row forward we seem to have plenty No better than John Davies and Cozza don't think he will make much difference to the strength of our forwards.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I doubt it to be honest if our middles stay fit, he's aggressive but a bit undersized, but with the transfer deadline gone having a fresh player in reserve can't harm.

I thought the deadline had gone, but apparently Sheffield have signed O’Neil on loan today. Not sure how that’s possible?.