2023 Squad

marklaspalmas

18 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

I had a feeling the club had lukewarm interest..... but I know bug ger all.

He's getting on a bit, injury prone and had very little game time. I'm with you on that.

Also if we were interested (and like you I think we would have been lukewarm) would we really have wanted to give him a deal until the end of 2024 like Bradford have? He might have done a job for us at a pinch for this year, but if we're trying to get into SL was he really a guy we wanted at half back if we managed to get promoted?

I'm not disappointed that we haven't signed him.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Rovers fev said:

Bussey 

hardy 

day 

all out for a long time and no news on Taylor is it worth going for a new back rower 

Harvey Livett and Danny addy aren’t getting game time could be worth reaching out to one of those 

Fair points, but none of us really know what our financial situation is though, and there seems to be a concensus that half back is our priority position right now. We also haven't had any official confirmation on the injuries, though it's clear Bussey at least will be out long term.

Taylor is expected back very soon isn't he, and JD has spent most of his career playing back row and it would be an opportunity to give him more minutes than he's getting, plus there's an opportunity to have more of a look at Hau. We actually have good depth in our pack, acknowledging that took a hit at York.

9 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Half-back incoming

Worth a go, squad number 24 at Wigan and scrum half.20 years old and most scrum halves should be able to compete at that age.On loan at Oldham he scored 7 tries in 5 games so he knows where the whitewash is.Don't know about his kicking game but we shall see.Lad deserves a chance to prove himself so we should get behind him.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Worth a go, squad number 24 at Wigan and scrum half.20 years old and most scrum halves should be able to compete at that age.On loan at Oldham he scored 7 tries in 5 games so he knows where the whitewash is.Don't know about his kicking game but we shall see.Lad deserves a chance to prove himself so we should get behind him.

Meant to be decent kicker, as he apparently comes from a Union background. Worth a go, and wouldn’t have thought that Wigan would be likely to recall him.

12 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

.Don't know about his kicking game but we shall see.Lad deserves a chance to prove himself so we should get behind him.

From rugby league news S 

In his debut season at the professional level, he earned a spot on the national team, representing England at U16 level.  He also garnered the attention of Sale Sharks where he played in the U16s system and developed a strong kicking game.

Edited by POR

8 minutes ago, POR said:

From rugby league news S 

In his debut season at the professional level, he earned a spot on the national team, representing England at U16 level.  He also garnered the attention of Sale Sharks where he played in the U16s system and developed a strong kicking game.

I would rather give a young player a chance than bring in a journeyman winding down his career so hope it works for us and Astley.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

I think that one of the biggest issues we have is fitting Aekins and MK in the team, especially when Ford is fit. Could Aekins for instance play in the centres or wing?. 

I think Long's just going to have to choose between them. Aekins isn't going to offer anything like what Gale and Briscoe offer in yardage sets, and playing centre isn't going to play to his strengths either.

It's unfortunate, but it's hard to see how we can play both, and one of them is going to be desperately unfortunate going forward.

8 minutes ago, Rovers fev said:

If we’re solving the back row problem In house we could see hau and Joey in the back row with cozza or Taylor at 13 which could see aekins at centre 

Davies I like coming off the bench and changing games so if like to see him there 

I just don’t see Joey as defensively good enough for the second row and would wonder if his work rate would be good enough.

1 minute ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

I just don’t see Joey as defensively good enough for the second row and would wonder if his work rate would be good enough.

Wouldn't play him there because of his back and value in the centre but Hankinson has played in the second row.But with Hardcastle out we should continue with Joey and Hankinson in the centres.

• Like 1