2023 Squad

marklaspalmas

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Have to assume the signing was registered with the RFL by the 4th August, but Tubbs made him walk to Sheffield and he's only just arrived.

Their announcement also suggests he's nowhere near being 'fit' so even if he can play I doubt he will (just for interest loan signings can be made after the EOSD but the player is ineligible to play in any of that season's remaining games - let's hope Tubby hasn't messed up!)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

Well isn't that just the most pointless bit of legislation ever?

I assume it's to allow time for both parties to see how they 'fit', possibly particularly useful for a fringe player looking for another club or a club wanting to check out a possible signing, eg to see how an injured player may be recovering before offering a permanent deal

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Not the first time we've heard this rumour, but Matt Shaw says we're in "pole position" to sign Ben Reynolds for next season.
https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/leigh-leopards-featherstone-rovers-winner-27650282?utm_source=leeds_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=rugby_league_lve_newsletter&utm_medium=email

So that's a Reynolds and Austin combo  for next year :kolobok_laugh1::kolobok_laugh1::kolobok_laugh1::kolobok_laugh1:

45 minutes ago, Rovers fev said:

If we do go up how many quota spots will we have and how many of the current over seas players would we take up with us 

I think Jonsey and aekins are the only 2 really and at a push yei

I'm sure  Connor holds a British passport and will not count towards the Rovers' overseas player quota.

32 minutes ago, POR said:

I'm sure  Connor holds a British passport and will not count towards the Rovers' overseas player quota.

If that’s true that’s a bonus, I thaught the rules were if you’d played for a community club before the age of 13 as that’s how Leigh got lam as a none quota player 

19 minutes ago, Rovers fev said:

II thaught the rules were if you’d played for a community club before the age of 13 as that’s how Leigh got lam as a none quota player 

True him playing in england  as a kid when his dad was over makes him ok despite being a full blown aussie with an aussie passport As for rules anybody holding a European passport doesn't count 

18 minutes ago, POR said:

As for rules anybody holding a European passport doesn't count 

Are you sure about that? That was the case a few years ago but I thought it had changed when they simplified the rules to just being Federation-trained or non Fed-trained back in 2019.

I think Caleb Aekins has a British passport but he definitely would count as one of the 7, that's why he wasn't retained by Leigh, I believe Leigh's Kai O'Donnell is in a similar position ie counts as one of their 7 non-fed players despite having a British passport.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Are you sure about that? That was the case a few years ago but I thought it had changed when they simplified the rules to just being Federation-trained or non Fed-trained back in 2019.

I think Caleb Aekins has a British passport but he definitely would count as one of the 7, that's why he wasn't retained by Leigh, I believe Leigh's Kai O'Donnell is in a similar position ie counts as one of their 7 non-fed players despite having a British passport.

Non-fed? When they played us last year it looked like they'd been eating raw meat!😉

• Haha 3

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

On 04/09/2023 at 20:59, Monkeymagic22 said:

Reynolds has looked decent for Leigh this season. Would be a decent signing if we go up.

Had some good spells when at his absolute best he looks ok for Super League, but generally is only in the team for his goalkicking. His decision making when playing on the right edge, both in attack and defence has been found wanting. Often he's the one coming out of the line and making a bad read for tries we concede down that side. And his in play kicking game has left a lot to be desired.

On the flip side, he's looked better when Asiata hasn't been on the pitch and he's played first receiver, where he's helped create space for others, leading to tries.

But, if you look at recruitment from other teams, there's not many half backs knocking around.

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Brown would be great if we go up, but is he going to wait if someone else offers him a contract?. That’s the problem promoted clubs have, and why Leigh had the incredible fortune to be able to do it last season. On a positive, most clubs have already filled their quotos for next season. Fingers crossed.

21 minutes ago, lingaro said:

We were good enough for him in in championship when he last signed. 

His stock could hardly have been lower then - he hadn't played for ages, had had multiple foot operations, and no NRL team would touch him.

He's proved himself as fit and as a useful NRL player since then. He might still be able to get an NRL job for 2024 as a fringe player, so it's not altogether surprising that he's reportedly asking for quite a high salary to come over here.

• Like 2

If we go up, probably the most important thing is how we use the overseas quota wisely. Are we permitted 7, and how do the French players fit into that?. I’d probably keep Cozza and Lacans, and if he’s exempt we might get another year or 2 out of Killer. Of the overseas players, perhaps keep Jones, and Hau if we can agree another season loan. I like Aikens, but wouldn’t keep him and Killer. It’s certainly a tough job.

1 hour ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

If we go up, probably the most important thing is how we use the overseas quota wisely. Are we permitted 7, and how do the French players fit into that?. I’d probably keep Cozza and Lacans, and if he’s exempt we might get another year or 2 out of Killer. Of the overseas players, perhaps keep Jones, and Hau if we can agree another season loan. I like Aikens, but wouldn’t keep him and Killer. It’s certainly a tough job.

Cozza and Lacans don't class as overseas players, they were trained under the auspices of the ERL (European Rugby League).