Give Us A Proper WCC

I was really impressed with Saints win yesterday and expect if they were playing the NRL champions next weekend it would be an absolute cracker of a game.

Alas, the respective seasons are not aligned and there seems to be little desire for the WCC from down under, let alone a proper one held immediately after the respective Grand Finals.

• Like 2

I’ve always said it can’t be beyond us to line the seasons up. If like this year when the WC is over here the NRL should finish a week earlier. That way the winners of the NRL could be in the crowd at old Trafford watching the SL GF.  Then play the WCC the following week. The players could then go on to join up with there respective national teams. Do the same in reverse if the internationals are being held down under. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Pulga said:

To Aussies the WCC is not much more than a gimmick. It seems the English take it much more seriously.

Money talks. I wonder how much it would take. If I recall, the winner of the Auckland 7s netted as much prize money as the NRL Champion of the same year. Even that was not enough for the teams expected to mount an NRL Premiership challenge later in the year to take it seriously.

Considering for a moment that any match in Aus would not sellout, is it possible that a WCC could sellout a 50k seater stadium a week after the GF in England? If not, is it fair to say that demand isn't there from the fans either?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

Money talks. I wonder how much it would take. If I recall, the winner of the Auckland 7s netted as much prize money as the NRL Champion of the same year. Even that was not enough for the teams expected to mount an NRL Premiership challenge later in the year to take it seriously.

Considering for a moment that any match in Aus would not sellout, is it possible that a WCC could sellout a 50k seater stadium a week after the GF in England? If not, is it fair to say that demand isn't there from the fans either?

Do you mean Auckland 9s?

I think the main problem is the perceived low quality of Super League. 

It's a novelty not to be taken seriously.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

12 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Do you mean Auckland 9s?

I think the main problem is the perceived low quality of Super League. 

It's a novelty not to be taken seriously.

Yes, Auckland 9s. 

For sure that's an issue. If there was a $1.5m cheque for the winners, would that be enough for them to take it seriously?

The sole focus of both winning teams is to win their respective leagues.  To then expect one team to fly half way around the world a day or so after celebrating their victory and be up to play another high intensive game the following weekend IMHO leads to the comments that the WCC is more of a gimmick then a serious challenge.

What might work is if both leagues are aligned to finish on the same weekend.  For example based on next year, the 23rd September, and then host a WCC 2 weeks later on 7th October.  That would give the travelling team an appropriate rest period, time to celebrate and travel and time for game preparation.  It would also give two weeks to promote the game as a true WCC.

And in a non World Cup year you then give the players a two week break before having an international window from 21stOctober and into mid November.  It would also make sense that the internationals are played in the hemisphere where the WCC takes place to keep travelling to a minimum for players.

Would the game and IMG have thought of this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yes, Auckland 9s. 

For sure that's an issue. If there was a $1.5m cheque for the winners, would that be enough for them to take it seriously?

I'm not really sure. Would the $1.5m be split between just the 17 players? Would it go to staff too? Would it be used to offset the cost of the event?

I'm not sure it would make a difference.

new rise.jpg

To be honest, I'm surprised that the NRL champions are not already being described as World Champions by the media over there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yes, Auckland 9s. 

The only time it's ever been played in recent years is when there has been a guaranteed payment to the Australian side.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I don't support this idea but potentially you could crown the lead leaders the champions and then have a play off to determine who plays Aussie champions, in grand final esque event at old Trafford 

Pro- make regular season more attractive while keeping play offs alive and interest for clubs 

Con-old Trafford would be 30k ish, not got nrl buy

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Pulga said:

To Aussies the WCC is not much more than a gimmick. It seems the English take it much more seriously.

Not true. As someone who is a Roosters member and I attend a few games each season and you will see how proud they are to hold the record of WCC wins - they call themselves the most successful team in the world and the record books back that up.

The likes of Penrith seem to be indifferent to is - is it because they got well beat the last time they played so are scared it will happen again??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

To be honest, I'm surprised that the NRL champions are not already being described as World Champions by the media over there.

We're not quite at AFL's level.... yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

new rise.jpg

9 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Not true. As someone who is a Roosters member and I attend a few games each season and you will see how proud they are to hold the record of WCC wins - they call themselves the most successful team in the world and the record books back that up.

The likes of Penrith seem to be indifferent to is - is it because they got well beat the last time they played so are scared it will happen again??

Ok, so apart from the dozen roosters fans, we, as Australians don't really take it seriously.

• Haha 5

new rise.jpg

5 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I would actually be massive if saints beat Penrith in a WCC. I think it would change a lot of peoples view on the super league.

Not if its NRL pre-season. Any win by an English club then still leaves question marks and excuses, as we have seen many times before. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Pulga said:

We’d love it here in Canberra if the Green Machine was playing.

Edited by Copa
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Ok, so apart from the dozen roosters fans, we, as Australians don't really take it seriously.

Depends on who you support lad - if your team had won a few WCC you may be more up for it - your not a Penrith fan are you..🤣🤣

Take it you watch a lot of SL then for your balanced views on this matter.

Most Australia teams do take it seriously- the last 2 times its been played in Australia the host club has had its season best crowd for the WCC ( Roosters and Melbourne) - as Australia is off the global radar it was a chance for their fans to claim to be the best in the world - a rare thing in Australian sport.

• Like 2

There is zero interest from clubs, players or administrators (NRL, SL and IRL) to hold the WCC at the end of the seasons for a long list of very good reasons. International RL is far more important to developing the sport and that is rightly taking priority. 

I've been to about 10 WCC games over the years' in England and Australia and love the concept, but there are far more strategically important autumn playing priorities so it should stay where it is.

• Like 1