Who will have an A licence and why?

yipyee

23 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

It’s up to the rest of the clubs to improve their academy set ups to match the best teams, then youngsters will have a genuine choice of who to sign for. Now most just have maybe 4-5 top ones to pick from, hopefully the lure of an A licence may see 10-12 top academies in the future

And if they don't ?

3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Why destroy the successful club academies and give it to a shambolic organisation like the RFL to run. If you want an A licence then all clubs should be made to run academies equal to those of the top clubs now. If they can’t do that then they don’t deserve an A licence 

I wouldn’t call the current academy structure a success. You’re right to be concerned that the RFL might not do very good job as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I wouldn’t call the current academy structure a success. You’re right to be concerned that the RFL might not do very good job as well.

I’d say there are 3 current SL clubs who have excellent academies, probably another 3 who I’d rate as good, and the rest pretty average

• Like 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

27 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

The RFL tried running regional academies in Cumbria,the Midlands & the North East,they made a right mess of it & abandoned them after a few short years.

6 hours ago, Davo5 said:

The RFL tried running regional academies in Cumbria,the Midlands & the North East,they made a right mess of it & abandoned them after a few short years.

When was that Davo? I remember London and South East was extremely successful in its Origin programme. I think the Midlands had a reasonably successful venture as well, but happy to be corrected.

7 hours ago, Davo5 said:

To a certain extent, regional academies outside of areas with Pro, or I suppose going forward Grade A, teams could be something that heartland clubs in more densely concentrated areas look at? 

For example, Leigh and Cumbria, or Castleford and a Midlands academy?

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

When was that Davo? I remember London and South East was extremely successful in its Origin programme. I think the Midlands had a reasonably successful venture as well, but happy to be corrected.

About 10 yrs ago,they ran for maybe 3 yrs,the Cumbrian academy was ‘given’ to Widnes to run when the RFL decided they were costing to much,Widnes then shut it down a year or so later after taking a few Cumbrian lads into their own academy.

11 hours ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Many didn't apply, do you think they will distinguish between those who applied and those who didn't?

Or those who closed down their academies?

What about taking large percentage of community players out of local clubs shutting their teams down so the players left behind cannot play,. Will that be considered? 

Was it considered where licence's have been awarded? 

So in your eyes it is OK to keep some towns as feeders for other club's and for them to have all the financial advantages that go with that, and don't even consider saying they finance their academies, they would not do so if it was not to their advantage.

I don't remember you bringing this up with Derek Beaumont when you were sitting there with a smug expression when he was on your shows.

10 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Bit backwards no? Lads are signing with the big teams because they are the ones who win things too so there’s a bit of a circular effect at play. 

Can only see Wakefield improving of the current teams and the sport badly needs an academy in central Manchester 

Thats simplistic. Lads sign with the big teams because they get treated much better, whether that is better training facilities, better coaching, more off field support or simply more kit. Who wants to train on dog poo park when you can train in a high quality environment? 

Those big teams also spend up to the cap so there is more money on offer at the end of it all. It takes money and investment and that leads to the success you describe.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

It’s up to the rest of the clubs to improve their academy set ups to match the best teams, then youngsters will have a genuine choice of who to sign for. Now most just have maybe 4-5 top ones to pick from, hopefully the lure of an A licence may see 10-12 top academies in the future

Then that is up to the RFL to allow clubs that wish to run an academy to do so.

On 30/09/2022 at 09:14, Jughead said:

Saints’ new stadium (its ten years old!) allows for greater revenue streams than Knowsley Road did, so there’s that to factor in, too. The hospitality at the E-Cig Arena is very good as well, so the matchday experience has improved from the previous ground, too. 

Just to side track the debate, what happened with Knowsley Road. Was the land used for housing or something else? 

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

To a certain extent, regional academies outside of areas with Pro, or I suppose going forward Grade A, teams could be something that heartland clubs in more densely concentrated areas look at? 

For example, Leigh and Cumbria, or Castleford and a Midlands academy?

That is a joke isn't it Tommy in Leigh's situation, who is going to be left for Leigh to send to any regional academy after  Wigan, Wire and Saints have dipped their sticky fingers in.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

That is a joke isn't it Tommy in Leigh's situation, who is going to be left for Leigh to send to any regional academy after  Wigan, Wire and Saints have dipped their sticky fingers in.

Probably why Leigh didn't get an academy licence H.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

How many junior clubs are we talking about to supply an academy? There must surely be a theoretical number there.

I suspect 2 isn't deemed enough.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

How many junior clubs are we talking about to supply an academy? There must surely be a theoretical number there.

I suspect 2 isn't deemed enough.

It’s difficult & I’m not sure what the answer is but community clubs in some areas would be decimated if every club who wanted to was able to run an a academy,the stark facts are that a large percentage of academy players not offered pro contracts don’t return to the community game.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

So the second paragraph is just agreeing with me. And thats why I said only Wakefield I think can jump out of the teams we have now because they will have the infrastructure to do it.

No, you said winning things. I'm saying that has little to do with it.

Spending up to the cap counts for nothing if you aren't doing the stuff I said in my first paragraph

16 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

So the second paragraph is just agreeing with me. And thats why I said only Wakefield I think can jump out of the teams we have now because they will have the infrastructure to do it.

Their building 1 stand.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Leigh are probably part of the reason clubs like Fev York and Bulls support IMG proposals. How can they attract people if they know Leigh or one other club will dope the league and there is naff all they can do. 

You have put together a fantastic team and it got you probably an average of 3k , not really sustainable or growth model for the game is it.

20 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

The point wasnt about Leigh, which I know you find difficult, it was about everyone else. It was about attracting fans to games where they could never win and no club doing all the right things could ever win when one club is dopped. 

Yes I will still have the same response, because Toulouse doing it creates the same problem. (Or maybe now that they know they will be in SL they won’t have to). You have become even more narrow minded about the wider game since Leigh bought promotion. 

Are you all bloddy there in the head, my response quoting Leigh is simply because it was the opening word in your post and the manner you wrote it, keep of the Sangria mate it is doing you no good.

Edited by Harry Stottle

7 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

It’s difficult & I’m not sure what the answer is but community clubs in some areas would be decimated if every club who wanted to was able to run an a academy,the stark facts are that a large percentage of academy players not offered pro contracts don’t return to the community game.

This gets mentionee out, and it is true, but it also completely ignores the fact that a large percentage of community kids drop out after u18s anyway. Very few kids generally go on to open age. I'm not sure the percentages would be any different or worse when it comes to players staying on past u18s whether they are community players or those leaving the pro ranks.