Desert Island Discs

1. Hubert Parry - Jerusalem (The Honley Male Voice Choir & The Band of HM Royal Marines)
  2. Dexys Midnight Runners - Come on Eileen
  3. Van Morrison - Someone like you
  4. Craig David - 7 Days
  5. Tiffany - I think we're alone now (his wife’s favourite)
  6. Undercover - Baker Street (for me, one of the most tin-eared cover versions ever, but there you go)
  7. Paolo Nutini - Last Request
  8. Coldplay - Fix you
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 06/10/2022 at 09:33, Wolford6 said:

Funny how Lancashire pinched Saddleworth and Delph from the West Riding in 1974, just to give it some unheard-of rates income and use them on brochures.

Saddleworth under Lancastrian rule:

Community scheme returns in Saddleworth after toilet troubles - Quest Media  Network - Tameside Radio, Tameside Reporter, Oldham Reporter, Glossop  Chronicle

Note the Parish Council still flaunts the White Rose.

As someone who lives in their ward I see these two jokers around and on local social media all the time -  come to this forum to escape reality not to see them pop-up here too!

Saddleworth Rangers have the right idea having both a red and white rose on their badge to stop border wars 🤣

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:
  1. Hubert Parry - Jerusalem (The Honley Male Voice Choir & The Band of HM Royal Marines)
  4. Craig David - 7 Days
  6. Undercover - Baker Street (for me, one of the most tin-eared cover versions ever, but there you go)
  8. Coldplay - Fix you

For #%£@& sake.

I was just about to have a go at these choices when I remembered that I had called johnny a cultural snob for criticising other people's music taste in another thread recently. 

Really backed myself into a corner on that one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

great bloke and a rugby league legend - wouldn't want to invest in his new mobile disco venture though - the original version of i think we're alone now a great song - bet he doesnt even know it exists

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:
  4. Craig David - 7 Days
  8. Coldplay - Fix you

undercover-Baker st -what a load of bilge.Gerry Raffertys every time.

4 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

However his taste in Music is terrible.

No it isn't; it's just safe and a bit MoR, like a lot of sportspeople's picks. You know, artists and bands that are popular and sell well. People who have committed the crime of writing songs that the public likes.

I wouldn't listen to much of it myself, but the only truly offensive one (to me) is the Undercover track, which may have a special meaning for some moment in his youth.

The only track I hadn't heard before was the Paolo Nutini one, and that was quite nice.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Kevin Sinfield is only 42. I don't think there's one song there from this century.

Strange.

There are three from this century.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

24 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Maybe because popular music and Rock music finished in 1999 mate.

Translation: "I stopped caring enough to search for new music I'd like after 1999." :kolobok_wink: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

However his taste in Music is terrible.

His taste in music isn't your taste in music. 

32 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

No it isn't; it's just safe and a bit MoR, like a lot os sportspeople's picks. You know, artists and bands that are popular and sell well. People who have committed the crime of writing songs that the public likes.

Agreed.

Was anyone really expecting him to pick anything by people like Olivier Messiaen or Thelonious Monk?

10 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

Agreed.

Was anyone really expecting him to pick anything by people like Olivier Messiaen or Thelonious Monk?

When you spend your childhood obsessively trying to excel in any field, such as sport, you tend to spend a lot less time in gigs, nightclubs and record shops than us regular slobs. They are often a little dull for the same reason they are successful - intense focus on their goal.

That's why it was always the standing joke in the Nineties that footballers only listen to Simply Red. And probably in the Noughties that their record collection consisted entirely of Oasis albums. And, when you think about it, that's kind of snobby.

That said, it does make the outliers more of a pleasant surprise, like Steve Davis' obsession with the outer/lunatic fringes of prog rock or Stuart Pierce's obsession with punk.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Translation: "I stopped caring enough to search for new music I'd like after 1999." :kolobok_wink: 

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

Yeah, Steve Davis: mad Magma fan. The mind boggles.

Plus he does some psychedelic DJing with his mate Kavus Torabi.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Stuff Smith said:

Agreed.

As part of my subscription to a season at the Opera in Vichy, some years ago I acquired this CD wich included work by Messiaen. There is some controversy over his wartime links with the occupying forces. His music is an aquired taste, that I have not aquired. Monk is genius.

Edited by JohnM

Messiaen's most approachable work, in a lot of people's opinions, is Et exspecto Resurrectionem Mortuorum. If you don't like that, you can safely ignore the rest of his output.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

He's a very hard person to dislike, it was a very enjoyable listen.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.