DOM YOUNG

12 hours ago, Futtocks said:

He seems fairly amiable and articulate in interviews, which is a plus. One of Ellery's great weaknesses as a nationally-recognised personality was his undisguised loathing of the media.

Both brothers come across as really nice well spoken young guys 

• Like 1

Young's very good already. His potential is through-the-roof though. Even in the land of giants, the NRL, he's one of the tallest players in the league with incredible pace and his finishing ability is up there with just about anybody. 

There are some areas where he could improve further but Young's pace of development has been particularly impressive.

3 minutes ago, my missus said:

and did anybody mention he is 2 meters tall?🤪

2 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

6’7”

O.4 rods.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

41 minutes ago, DG70 said:

Let's hope he justifies the hype, tearing it up in the NRL he's clearly talented, whoever let him go from Hudds in hindsight not looking too clever now.

Keeping a player who doesn’t want to be there isn’t a great strategy either.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

But in terms of actually using that exposure to actually gain something from him, we are just marketing an NRL player who, because he cannot attend any events in the country post World Cup, is just going to disappear again.

Within the World Cup by all means but outside of that it is not going to be good roi.

I think the bigger problem is that almost no-one watches NRL in the UK, even the vast majority of English rugby league fans don't. 

The NBA and the NFL in particular have decent, if not huge, fans bases in the UK and if a British player was crushing it in those leagues it would cut through to some extent, helping cross promotion. 

To be honest this world cup should be a prime chance for the NRL to increase its profile in the UK, which I think UK RL could feed off, but the NRL are so parochial they'll miss the chance. 

• Like 6

Just let the lad continue to develop. I know him very very well. Watched him play for Kettlethorpe High School, Dewsbury Moor etc. Soft as putty but offensively skilful. In his case size did matter. Alex McKinnon spotted him and did the deal with his dad John. At the time Huddersfield we’re well covered with Mcgillvery etc. Dom had not shown anything special. Good luck to the lad. Took off to Oz and giving it a go.What has he got to lose? But please everyone relax. There is a long way to go. Oh and by the way. Stop disrespecting a player who has been there and done it = Ryan Hall

2 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Just let the lad continue to develop. I know him very very well. Watched him play for Kettlethorpe High School, Dewsbury Moor etc. Soft as putty but offensively skilful. In his case size did matter. Alex McKinnon spotted him and did the deal with his dad John. At the time Huddersfield we’re well covered with Mcgillvery etc. Dom had not shown anything special. Good luck to the lad. Took off to Oz and giving it a go.What has he got to lose? But please everyone relax. There is a long way to go. Oh and by the way. Stop disrespecting a player who has been there and done it = Ryan Hall

Nice one. Sounds like he could go a long way.

I think the biggest risk is he goes to union. Their clubs will surely be sniffing round him after the World Cup. He is exactly the sort of player they will look to sign. 

How do we keep him in League?

On 07/10/2022 at 21:46, B rad said:

That's like English basketball saying they cant market their best player because he plays in the NBA. Of course the English RL can market him. Use him for advertising, interviews. He doesn't have to live in England for that.

The only issue is, the bigger he gets, the more money English RU will throw at him. 

You can't market an NRL player to a public which doesn't have any idea what the NRL is though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Madrileño said:

I think the biggest risk is he goes to union. Their clubs will surely be sniffing round him after the World Cup. He is exactly the sort of player they will look to sign. 

The game needs more money coming in to keep players like him and Regan Grace, simple as that.  And nothing in the IMG proposals suggests how they'll accomplish brining more money in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Madrileño said:

I hope he doesn’t end up at Worcester. 🥸

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

The game needs more money coming in to keep players like him and Regan Grace, simple as that.  And nothing in the IMG proposals suggests how they'll accomplish brining more money in.

If he can cut the mustard in the NRL over a few seasons then the wages over there aren’t too shoddy with another SC increase on the horizon IIRC. If the player is happy with his income and way of life then he’ll stay in RL. If he’s a player who wants to earn as much as possible while he can then he’s off to French union IMO.

• Like 1

As a game we need to keep unearthing players like Dom Young, Jack Welsby, KPP, Morgan Knowles etc. The fact we can produce should good players on limited junior playing numbers compared to OZ shows how much talent there is in this country. Imagine how many we could produce if we increased the amount of juniors playing the game 

Edited by JM2010
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

As a game we need to keep unearthing players like Dom Young, Jack Welsby, KPP, Morgan Knowles etc. The fact we can produce should good players on limited junior playing numbers compared to OZ shows how much talent there is in this country. Imagine how many we could produce if we increased the amount of juniors playing the game 

Bang on,especially as 2 of those players you listed came from London & Cumbria,areas sadly neglected by the sport.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Totally correct there is 100% NOTHING in the IMG proposals that will accomplish more money coming in.

Only way forward as i keep banging on about is a brand new investment backed league and a tie up with the NRL.

The money is out there just has to be sourced with the right management structures in place NRL EUROPE will be a reality down the line.

Paul

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Yeah it will be interesting to see how it ultimately pans out!

For me the only position Dom is capable of playing is on the wing. His tackle technique and tackle desire is virtually non existent. His positional sense and spacial awareness is virtually non existent. See the extremely poor one on one tackle attempt he made against Nick Cotic - Canberra Raiders this season.

So yes I get the rugby union angle and feel that he would be suited to it. I don’t know what his thoughts are on it. He may have played junior rugby union at Sandal, Wakefield but I am not sure about that. He played junior football for Durker Devils, Wakefield. Money ultimately talks I suppose.

Very nice lad from a switched on family. Hope all goes well.

• Haha 1