Where is it all going wrong for Samoa's superstars?

1 hour ago, StandOffHalf said:

Should have called up Lino.

Having those two with SL experience will make them better in English conditions. I'd probably have Sio in the 13.

A lot of the Southern Hemisphere teams have underperformed first game.

Probably the change in climate and travel. 

6 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I didn't even realise that was possible after the tournament had started. 

Fiji have done similar with Vulikijapani and Tevita Toloi, makes sense as we've seen how quickly 24-man squads can be stretched.

What is the point of naming a 24 man squad if you can use players from outside the squad, completely stupid. If there’s an issue with injuries make the squads larger. Football have 26 man squads and Union have 31 yet we only have 24 man squads, whilst being the most physically taxing and injury prone of the lot.

2 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

What is the point of naming a 24 man squad if you can use players from outside the squad, completely stupid. If there’s an issue with injuries make the squads larger. Football have 26 man squads and Union have 31 yet we only have 24 man squads, whilst being the most physically taxing and injury prone of the lot.

Just reading about teams in the cricket World Cup making changes to the squad even after the tournament started because of injuries.

Seems reasonable to me.

I don't know about in RL but there is a proper process for it in cricket.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

22 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Just reading about teams in the cricket World Cup making changes to the squad even after the tournament started because of injuries.

Seems reasonable to me.

I don't know about in RL but there is a proper process for it in cricket.

I just don’t understand, if we’re going to add players to the squad just make the squad bigger 27 Players should be the number not 24.

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I thought all teams named reserves in the event of this happening 

29 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I thought all teams named reserves in the event of this happening 

The reserve were to be used before the tournament starts if anyone gets injured. But it seems teams are calling up English based players to add to the squad for injuries that have happend after the tournament started, which I didn’t know was allowed. I also thought the 24 man squad you name are the only players allowed to play but I guess not.

19 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

The reserve were to be used before the tournament starts if anyone gets injured. But it seems teams are calling up English based players to add to the squad for injuries that have happend after the tournament started, which I didn’t know was allowed. I also thought the 24 man squad you name are the only players allowed to play but I guess not.

It has happened before IIRC. The 24 man squad thing will be cost limitation by the organisers. Putting up say an extra 3 per team at this tournament won’t be an insignificant number. However just adding to those who need it will be much less, 

24 is much too light when you’re naming 18 people for each match without some sort on contingency for injured players. I don’t have any issues with this approach 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Just checked the odds (Sky Bet):

Aus 8/15

NZ 7/2

England 6/1

Tonga 12/1

Samoa 25/1

PNG 150/1

Everyone else 250-2500/1

Our odds have halved. Samoa's have nearly tripled. Tonga gone down too. 

Would loved to have seen what odds you'd get for a Samoa v PNG match right now. Anything above 4/1 for PNG and i'd be lumping on quite heavily. 

21 hours ago, MattSantos said:

As i was hesitant to call them favourites against England, the same should apply here.

Is Parish a good coach? No. Do they appear to have a winning culture / mindset? No.

Do they have some absolutely quality players? Yes.

It absolutely wouldn't surprise me if they turn Tonga over and then who knows what they'd be like with some confidence in them..

I'd second this. I think they showed some glimpses around the end of the first half of how much trouble they could be.

The big worry for them is how much they caved when England were out of sight. We could've scored on every set. However, were they to get ahead I think they'd be a totally different proposition.

They've got 2 games to get up to speed before a likely tough game with Tonga. If they get through that, they just might give us a game at Arsenal.

On 19/10/2022 at 12:18, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Couldn't really see an existing thread where this kind of discussion should sit, but I think for those of us who like to look into the finer details you may enjoy this. 

Starting at 29:02 under the 'RL WC England pump Samoa' segment - Willie Mason and Justin Horo perfectly dissect why Samoa were so bad and even more shockingly give huge credit to England. 

It certainly begs a lot of questions around the coach and why they were getting talked up so much pre tournament (including by myself) when all this seems so clear! 

Really enjoyed the world cup chat. It seems like big Willie has a good mind for the game when he's not being a big willy, Horo too.

It was a bit heavy on American slang for me, but I'll probably listen again after the next round of games.

• Like 2