The curious case of David Fifita

21 minutes ago, RippinandTearin said:

Nothing wrong with big Dave Taylor, he produced some great for for South’s 

Some players it’s mostly mental, he was a different beast big Taylor, he had to be happy in his surrounds to fire, when he was at South’s he lived next to my mate at Cronulla, he had his boat & spent all his time out fishing, he’d walk over to the beach for a surf, he was pretty happy, you disrupt that & things soon go pear shaped

i suspect Fifita needs to find his happy place 

Leeds Rhinos?

5 hours ago, DoubleD said:

A superstar of the game, I was really looking to see his destructive impact for Tonga.

But he played a bit part in all Tonga games, playing limited minutes from the bench and had limited impact....................was he not fit?

He can't do much if he doesn't get much game time. The thing is if he gets opportunities he can do things other players can't do. Most of the time he can't do it all himself (though sometimes he does). He is going to get tackled more times than not but on occasion, he will push off 5 guys and score tries. He destroyed France and did well vs PNG. Samoa had him fairly well covered with a lot of guys hitting as he got the ball. 

He got 35 minutes against Samoa. He needs more than that. After the big bash and barge opening 20 minutes Woolf should have put him on and left him on. The problem with Fifita is people expect him to break 3 tackles every time he touches the ball. Thats unrealistic. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, B rad said:

He can't do much if he doesn't get much game time. The thing is if he gets opportunities he can do things other players can't do. Most of the time he can't do it all himself (though sometimes he does). He is going to get tackled more times than not but on occasion, he will push off 5 guys and score tries. He destroyed France and did well vs PNG. Samoa had him fairly well covered with a lot of guys hitting as he got the ball. 

He got 35 minutes against Samoa. He needs more than that. After the big bash and barge opening 20 minutes Woolf should have put him on and left him on. The problem with Fifita is people expect him to break 3 tackles every time he touches the ball. Thats unrealistic. 

But is there a reason he is only getting those minutes - injury or otherwise?

He didn’t perform particularly well against PNG and Kear had him in his pocket when they played Wales. I’m a big fan of his so was disappointed he didn’t show his best in the World Cup. There must be a reason why Woolf under-utilised him

• Like 1

Fifita scored 17 tries playing forward in a poor titans team in 2021.

His coach decided to experiment with playing him in the centres in 2022 and in some games he was positioned as a winger for large parts of the game.

A good coach would have him back to his 2021 form…..unfortunately he doesnt have a good coach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B rad said:

I think his issue from watching him is pure workrate and laziness. 

Off the ball he doesn’t seem to run many regular lines or put himself in positions to demand the ball. 

He has the size and strength but from the few games I’ve seen him that’s very much his issue.

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

But is there a reason he is only getting those minutes - injury or otherwise?

He didn’t perform particularly well against PNG and Kear had him in his pocket when they played Wales. I’m a big fan of his so was disappointed he didn’t show his best in the World Cup. There must be a reason why Woolf under-utilised him

The reason is they have a gun forward pack and they were trying to fit him in. 

9 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

The new Dave Taylor.  Size, power and skill.  Got all the big wraps then absolutely nothing. 

Bryce Cartwright is another recent example that was hyped to the hill then produced very little. Jamall Idris another.

Some players never live up to their potential.  Plenty of time for  Fifita yet but something somewhere needs to drastically change

All Titans at some stage.... 😔 On massive coin.

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

11 hours ago, Tosh said:

Aren’t the titans trying to offload him?

Signed a 3 year contract for over $1 Million/year from 2021 and according to reports Titans want to pare his salary to $750k in 2023 and not resign him for 2024. One of the clubs said to be interested at that price is Canberra with his girlfriend recently signing to play for the women's Raiders side.

Like others I have generally been disappointed in his performance over his time at the Titans. Certainly hasn't performed to justify his standing as a million dollar player.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Trojan Horse said:

I think his issue from watching him is pure workrate and laziness. 

Off the ball he doesn’t seem to run many regular lines or put himself in positions to demand the ball. 

He has the size and strength but from the few games I’ve seen him that’s very much his issue.

Yes, this is absolutely my point about the comparison to Kikau.

Kikau looks (and is) more dangerous in a game than Fifita despite breaking fewer tackles, making fewer breaks and scoring fewer tries.  This is because he runs great lines whether he gets the ball or not and so he offers a great foil for Luai and the Penrith outside backs.

Fifita doesn't.  But the Titans don't run the kind of plays that the Panthers run on either edge so how much is down to Fifita and how much is down to the Titans coach/halves?

We all know a good team can make an individual player look better and a bad team make a player look worse.

Before we write him off as a wasted talent, I would like to see him in a top team with a top coach.  He delivers individually in a poor team and so the question is would be benefit a top team or would his lack of discipline in running for the team be a hindrance.  I would like to find out.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 hours ago, B rad said:

i (in the ground) honestly didn't notice him, or BMM for that matter.

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, this is absolutely my point about the comparison to Kikau.

Kikau looks (and is) more dangerous in a game than Fifita despite breaking fewer tackles, making fewer breaks and scoring fewer tries.  This is because he runs great lines whether he gets the ball or not and so he offers a great foil for Luai and the Penrith outside backs.

Fifita doesn't.  But the Titans don't run the kind of plays that the Panthers run on either edge so how much is down to Fifita and how much is down to the Titans coach/halves?

We all know a good team can make an individual player look better and a bad team make a player look worse.

Before we write him off as a wasted talent, I would like to see him in a top team with a top coach.  He delivers individually in a poor team and so the question is would be benefit a top team or would his lack of discipline in running for the team be a hindrance.  I would like to find out.

Agree with that and he clearly needs some strong coaching or a strong set up/simple game plan where he knows his role.

It can only be as you say down to the coaching/plays or down to lack of fitness/motivation. Maybe a bit of both as often is the case.

He could be devastating in the right set up and right mind set. 

I don’t watch NRL so it’s purely on what I’ve seen at the WC but what I see is a player who didn’t know where he was supposed to be and lacking that work rate. If my club was to sign one Kikau would be by far the one I’d be happy with. 

5 minutes ago, Trojan Horse said:

Agree with that and he clearly needs some strong coaching or a strong set up/simple game plan where he knows his role.

It can only be as you say down to the coaching/plays or down to lack of fitness/motivation. Maybe a bit of both as often is the case.

He could be devastating in the right set up and right mind set. 

I don’t watch NRL so it’s purely on what I’ve seen at the WC but what I see is a player who didn’t know where he was supposed to be and lacking that work rate. If my club was to sign one Kikau would be by far the one I’d be happy with. 

Hasn’t his club & national team coaches won the last 4 Superleague Grand Finals ?

4 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Hasn’t his club & national team coaches won the last 4 Superleague Grand Finals ?

Indeed they have.

And in your opinion do the Gold Coast Titans and Tonga looked well coached sides?

I could perhaps forgive Tonga as national coaches get precious little time with their sides (although some look far better organised than others), but the Titans are a shambles and have been for several years.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris