Electric Cars

16 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Get a decent used Skoda Superb Estate diesel. You can get one within 24 hours. 

I imagine I can get a lot of things I don't want fairly quickly. 

• Haha 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Getting reminded of the advantages and disadvantages of electric in cold temperatures this week. Downside is a sizeable drop off in range (not that it's an issue for me), barely surprising given batteries don't like cold and also more heating required.

Plus side is I've not used de-icer once in the last 2 years, as I can remotely pre heat the car, either on a routine timer or adhoc from my phone. Toasty warm and ready to go when I get in, and if done whilst plugged in it doesn't impact range. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

4 hours ago, Derwent said:

The soon-to-be-released Fisker Ocean looks pretty good….

https://www.fiskerinc.com/en-gb/ocean

The more bi-directional charging options that come on to the market, the better. That could be a game changer for electricity demand, allowing for charging the car at times of low demand and feeding back into domestic supplies when required. If more domestic solar panels are encouraged, this could mean charge during the day, and use your car to run your house after dark. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

On 13/11/2022 at 08:02, RayCee said:

Toyota, Hyundai and some other manufacturers are still believing in HFC cars but are having to wait until they kick off. Toyota isn't a great believer in full electric cars but has recently conceded that for the time being the market is going electric (with government incentives) and committing resources to do more in that area. 

My daughter is working on a project at the Uni. of N.S.W. funded by Holcim, the Swiss multinational, on developing a hydrogen powered system for their international fleet of cement trucks. According to her they are not interested in electric but see hydrogen as the future.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

My daughter is working on a project at the Uni. of N.S.W. funded by Holcim, the Swiss multinational, on developing a hydrogen powered system for their international fleet of cement trucks. According to her they are not interested in electric but see hydrogen as the future.

I think JCB are doing something similar.

As I understand it the power required for trucks/heavy plant are so big that they are not viable

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

On 16/11/2022 at 07:25, GUBRATS said:

Spot on , IMO road tax should be put on fuel , you might have somebody who needs a large engined powerful vehicle for towing , but only do 10/20 miles a week , and somebody else doing 500 miles a week , who is using the roads ? 

As I've put earlier , I've just bought my final ' folly ' vehicle , when retirement comes in a few years for myself I'll not be able to afford what I now have , but I doubt I'll be able to afford an electric vehicle either 

Time to but a horse it would seem ? 😉

Road tax doesn't pay for the roads in told, that's a different pot 

It's charged due to emissions, hence cyclists not having to pay.

Issue with more tax on fuel is working class who have to travel for work, you make it more expensive whilst rich people with huge cars get then cheaper running costs

1 hour ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Issue with more tax on fuel is working class who have to travel for work, you make it more expensive whilst rich people with huge cars get then cheaper running costs

Then why is it called ' ROAD TAX ' ? 😉 

Which vehicle makes more emissions , a large engined car doing 2,000 miles a year ? , Or a smaller engined car doing 20,000 a year ? 

Cyclists have never had to pay tax , nothing to do with emissions 

1 hour ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

It's really a vehicle tax and not a road tax. As the tax ends up at the Exchequer, in the same place as most other taxes, and budgets then get allocated back to the Department for Transport and local councils there isn't really a separate pot just for roads or pretty much anything else. It's just what is allocated from the Exchequer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Which vehicle makes more emissions , a large engined car doing 2,000 miles a year ? , Or a smaller engined car doing 20,000 a year ? 

It's not called road tax 👍

Cyclist haven't your correct but often people ask why, emissions is another reason why

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

It's not called road tax, it is Vehicle Excise Duty. 

• Like 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

51 minutes ago, Derwent said:

It's not called road tax, it is Vehicle Excise Duty. 

True 

And everybody calls it ?

Road tax 😉 

And it used to be essentially the same for every vehicle within certain easily understandable groups 

Then the opportunity was seen to screw more money out of certain groups under the guise of emmisions , so why not charge AUDI drivers more for driving like morons ? , VW Golf drivers for having annoying exhausts ? , Maybe actually enforce speed limits by limiting the speed of vehicles to ( or as near as matters ) the actual speed limit ? 

36 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

True 

And everybody calls it ?

Road tax 😉 

Oh God, this reminds me of trying to convince someone on here that the flu jab actually is a vaccine, but he wouldn't have it because "it's called a jab, not a vaccine"

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 minutes ago, Bobby123 said:

Relative who is partially sighted almost mowed down by one as he walked around a corner. Never heard a thing.

Wait till they properly hit the second hand market , with the info on the internet on how to turn up the acceleration, 0-60 in 2.5 seconds in silence in a town centre , what could possibly go wrong ? 🙁

On 19/12/2022 at 18:01, Bobby123 said:

Relative who is partially sighted almost mowed down by one as he walked around a corner. Never heard a thing.

That's why in 2019 regulations were brought in that meant manufacturers had to install a system to generate noise in new electric vehicles.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Damien said:

That's why in 2019 regulations were brought in that meant manufacturers had to install a system to generate noise in new electric vehicles.

Only at very low speeds , which ends up being a fraction of a second with their acceleration , the workers at the local tip ( recycling centre ) do not like them , they nearly get run over every time 😉

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Only at very low speeds , which ends up being a fraction of a second with their acceleration , the workers at the local tip ( recycling centre ) do not like them , they nearly get run over every time 😉

Its only at low speeds because they are more audible at higher speeds. If it was deemed necessary at higher speeds then the same regulation would apply.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Its only at low speeds because they are more audible at higher speeds. If it was deemed necessary at higher speeds then the same regulation would apply.

Just make them slower in the first place