Fri 18 Nov: Wheelchair World Cup Final: France v England KO 7.30pm

Who will win?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• France
    • England

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/11/22 at 20:00

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't think that's true. There is loads of focus on the England team becoming World Champions. 

We can run with more than one story at once, in fact you could argue it helps keep it in the news. 

Indeed, it's not true at all. I think most people are well capable of discussing more than 1 news angle.

2 minutes ago, Jughead said:

All I’ve seen today is the focus on some moody French blokes, absolutely nothing on the English players and their stories to becoming world champions because I am absolutely certain that there are inspiring stories to tell. 

Look around a little, there has been plenty of coverage of the England players. 

It's just like a video of a streaker will go viral, but it doesn't mean it takes away from the match. 

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Look around a little, there has been plenty of coverage of the England players. 

It's just like a video of a streaker will go viral, but it doesn't mean it takes away from the match. 

It’s not comparable to a streaker, let’s be honest. A streaker, on the whole, doesn’t get news coverage. 

Some positive comments about the final on a railways forum (seeing as it was played in a former railway station).

WNXX Interactive • View topic - Rugby League Wheelchair World Cup (wnxxforum.co.uk)

Need to be a member to log in.Here's one comment.

Who would have thought when it closed in 1969 that 53 years later Manchester Central would be the venue for the final of the Rugby League World Cup Wheelchair Final. Sold out crowd and England won, beating France. What a game, and so emotional. Well done to all.

Edited by JF1
  • Like 2

I know Laurent (the ref)well I work with him sometimes, he started reffing about 10 years ago at Villeneuve Minervois when I was involved the club, he's cracked up a couple of times as a touch judge when people start shouting from the sidelines, he's not a dishonest guy, he's got a very  short temper and screams, shouts and has a hissy fit but never violent, 

I reckon he'll be a right mess at the moment as he's quite a shy quiet bloke when he isn't losing his temper 😬😁

I didn't see the game as I was at a team dinner in Carcassonne and received a few messages from English friends wondering what the mad French ref was doing. 

He's used to being the touch judge in the village league and reffing u15s, plus wheelchair rugby in an empty sports hall, I think the pressure and crowd got to him and the booing and insults, 

I agree he was very wrong, I just hope he recovers from this as he's usually a very private man who will be regretting this massively I reckon. 

Very embarrassing for French RL but we've at least 20 refs like this guy in France, and a couple I hate to say are dishonest, Laurent usually isn't, incompetent but not dishonest. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

The images have gone around the English media beyond this behavior, it is true outrageous, I would like to understand why it came out of its hinges ? 
 It also seems that S.Crismanovich the blue coach raised a problem of able-bodied players in the England team and his post-match interview was cut short on the BBC.
 I wonder if there is a connection between these two elements ? 
 Are we just sore losers or is there a real problem!
 I also saw a video where the referee gives a try while the other two referees are against this decision.
https://twitter.com/andrewfoster101/sta ... k4vG8iI_dg
 Weird all that!

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

5 minutes ago, fcl said:

The images have gone around the English media beyond this behavior, it is true outrageous, I would like to understand why it came out of its hinges ? 
 It also seems that S.Crismanovich the blue coach raised a problem of able-bodied players in the England team and his post-match interview was cut short on the BBC.
 I wonder if there is a connection between these two elements ? 
 Are we just sore losers or is there a real problem!
 I also saw a video where the referee gives a try while the other two referees are against this decision.
https://twitter.com/andrewfoster101/sta ... k4vG8iI_dg
 Weird all that!

Sore losers. 

On the last try, what was the rationale for the French refs trying to get the try disallowed? I'm not 100% on the rules, but there didn't appear to be any controversy? 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 1

On 19/11/2022 at 08:28, Mattrhino said:

Not the first time they steal our rules and call it Rugby Union. Touch rugby being one

There is a wheelchair version of rugby 7s which is far more like union. It has a ruby ball, passes are backwards, it has scrums and lineouts....but none of the RU governing bodies back it! That may change now.

18 hours ago, Dave T said:

I don't think that's true. There is loads of focus on the England team becoming World Champions. 

We can run with more than one story at once, in fact you could argue it helps keep it in the news. 

The overwhelming feedback I've seen outside this forum has been positive and about what an amazing tournament and final it was. Just the occasional laugh at the ref losing his rag.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, barnyia said:

I know Laurent (the ref)well I work with him sometimes, he started reffing about 10 years ago at Villeneuve Minervois when I was involved the club, he's cracked up a couple of times as a touch judge when people start shouting from the sidelines, he's not a dishonest guy, he's got a very  short temper and screams, shouts and has a hissy fit but never violent, 

I reckon he'll be a right mess at the moment as he's quite a shy quiet bloke when he isn't losing his temper 😬😁

I didn't see the game as I was at a team dinner in Carcassonne and received a few messages from English friends wondering what the mad French ref was doing. 

He's used to being the touch judge in the village league and reffing u15s, plus wheelchair rugby in an empty sports hall, I think the pressure and crowd got to him and the booing and insults, 

I agree he was very wrong, I just hope he recovers from this as he's usually a very private man who will be regretting this massively I reckon. 

Very embarrassing for French RL but we've at least 20 refs like this guy in France, and a couple I hate to say are dishonest, Laurent usually isn't, incompetent but not dishonest. 

Expect him to be sacked for gross misconduct and hope he is banned from sport altogether. 

9 minutes ago, Skinnywinger said:

Expect him to be sacked for gross misconduct and hope he is banned from sport altogether. 

If that's what happens that's what happens, I'm sure he regrets his actions, I'm not getting involved as he was out of order and there'll be a reason behind him cracking up,

Definitely an example of where the referee standards aren't up to the level of the players standards,

It's a definite problem we have in France, 

Neutral refs should have been used for this one definitely. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Skinnywinger said:

I heard from a source I trust that he was disciplined the next morning and on the next plane home. He won't officiate again.

Apologies that my first post will come across as a moan, I don't mean to but I think it is important as someone involved quite deeply in "Wheelchair Rugby" (The Paralympic Version).

Wheelchair Rugby is nothing to do with Rugby Union and never has been. It has no association with World Rugby, the RFU or any other RU governing body, and is run by it's own global body and national associations. 

I have no issue with people preferring WCRL (I love it too!) but they are different sports, aimed at different people/different needs and It would be a shame if people were turned off one version by an inaccurate link being made between it and another sport.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Flump said:

Apologies that my first post will come across as a moan, I don't mean to but I think it is important as someone involved quite deeply in "Wheelchair Rugby" (The Paralympic Version).

Wheelchair Rugby is nothing to do with Rugby Union and never has been. It has no association with World Rugby, the RFU or any other RU governing body, and is run by it's own global body and national associations. 

I have no issue with people preferring WCRL (I love it too!) but they are different sports, aimed at different people/different needs and It would be a shame if people were turned off one version by an inaccurate link being made between it and another sport.

But didn't the RFU 'brand' Wheelchair Rugby it for a short while while GB were doing well and getting media traction (and changing its name from Murderball), only to drop it like a hot potato when Olympic funding was needed?

The only RU version I'm aware of is Wheelchair Rugby 7s....which again has no support from either the RFU or WRU.

Edited by gogledd

2 minutes ago, Flump said:

This is all pretty well known on this Forum, and among the new members getting things mixed up, a fair proportion are Rugby Union trolls looking to deliberately muddy the waters.

We have long been aware of Rugby Union trying to piggyback on other versions of Rugby that aren't theirs, like Touch and Tag. It boosts their (already fraudulent) participation numbers, and helps them get more funding, especially from a Tory government.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Jillaroos' guard of honour for England's wheel chair players.

• Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The French referee has been suspended by the French Federation:

During the final of the XIII Wheelchair World Championship played on November 18, 2022 at "Manchester Central", the inappropriate attitude of referee Laurent Abrial was noted by many spectators, television viewers, elected officials and representatives of international delegations.

After the opinion of the President of the National Arbitration Commission, the President of the FFRXIII has decided to suspend as a precaution Mr. Laurent Abrial from all his duties as arbitrator pending consultations and decisions that may be taken by the authorities. competent.

https://www.ffr13.fr/communique-de-la-federation-2/

• Like 1