Chris Kendall

4 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

They've already said they're choosing the referees on merit, not on nationality.

I'm not actually expecting him to be appointed. 

I could have, at a stretch, accepted an English or Australian ref if the final had been Eng/Aus due to (at present) limited options regarding experienced referees from outside of those two nations.

In this instance, there's an experienced ref that isn't from the same country as either of the finalists...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

They've already said they're choosing the referees on merit, not on nationality.

That rules Kendall out then.

The Pacific islanders moan incessantly against the English refs and how they supposedly don't know the rules, imagine how they'll respond when one turns up with an Australian shirt underneath 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

This is also plainly not the case as we have had NRL referees in this World Cup who haven't even refereed a NRL game all season and have only been touch judges. That isn't choosing referees on merit.

22 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

I hope it's Sutton. I don't think he's a particularly good ref but he will allow Samoa time to breathe whereas Klein is non-stop.

I thought fans preferred non-stop. I know I do.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Eddie said:

We need an Aussie ref, there is a small chance that Samoa might win and the NRL can’t have that. 

Do you have any evidence to support that claim or is it just a whining slur, like "The election was rigged?"

How does the NRL win or lose if Samoa wins? On the one hand, so many people here are convinced that the NRL doesn't care a fig about the international game but, at the same time, they care enough to rig the result. Which one is it?

28 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Do you have any evidence to support that claim or is it just a whining slur, like "The election was rigged?"

How does the NRL win or lose if Samoa wins? On the one hand, so many people here are convinced that the NRL doesn't care a fig about the international game but, at the same time, they care enough to rig the result. Which one is it?

Both. They don’t care about it and them winning this tournament easily justifies that. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Having an Australian ref their WC semi final is so tin pot you couldn’t make it up. Would that happen in any other sport? 

• Like 1

Anyone but Kendall for me please.  My heart sinks when I put a game on and see him in charge or part way through when his name appears as vid ref. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 hour ago, Damien said:

This is also plainly not the case as we have had NRL referees in this World Cup who haven't even refereed a NRL game all season and have only been touch judges. That isn't choosing referees on merit.

I'm not saying their choices are right. 
I'm saying they made cleare they're not chosing on nationality. 
Given they can't guarantee neutral referees (if England played Australia, they couldn't guarantee it), they renounced to neutrality and made other choices. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

1 hour ago, Farmduck said:

I think its a general view that even though the WC is in England the southern hemisphere seem to hold sway on who officiates games and their interpretation of the rules.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

I'm not saying their choices are right. 
I'm saying they made cleare they're not chosing on nationality. 
Given they can't guarantee neutral referees (if England played Australia, they couldn't guarantee it), they renounced to neutrality and made other choices. 

But they aren't choosing the best people either when people who haven't refereed a NRL game all season are being given World Cup matches.

Not guaranteeing neutral referees is a red herring and is certainly not why we don't have them. For a long time we could guarantee neutral referees but stopped them because the Aussies had a hissy fit after Perenara gave a few calls against them. We could easily guarantee them again too, all we need is at least one referee from a 3rd county. That really isn't difficult to achieve.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

But they aren't choosing the best people either when people who haven't refereed a NRL game all season are being given World Cup matches.

Not guaranteeing neutral referees is a red herring and is certainly not why we don't have them. For a long time we could guarantee neutral referees but stopped them because the Aussies had a hissy fit after Perenara gave a few calls against them. We could easily guarantee them again too, all we need is at least one referee from a 3rd county. That really isn't difficult to achieve.

Indeed, France or NZ being the obvious places. 

50 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Having an Australian ref their WC semi final is so tin pot you couldn’t make it up. Would that happen in any other sport? 

Another way of looking at this would be to ask how many times have English refs been invited to Aus or Nz to officiate in say the last 10 years?

1 hour ago, Damien said:

So you'd prefer having a worse but neutral referee.

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador