Why can't we discuss Leighs rebrand? (Merged Threads)

12 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Its not every opportunity, leigh themselves are presenting the opportunity for ridicule by what they are doing, oh and some of the Leigh fans are way more antagonistic on threads.

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree on that unquantifiable point, the bold bit is difficult to argue with.

37 minutes ago, Tubby said:

As I said before, it's the constancy of it, non-stop, punching down.  It wears thin to the point that even the most innocuous comment becomes an issue.  Taken in isolation, I've no doubt that none of the mickey-taking would bother anyone, but when it's every day, at every opportunity, that's different.

We all take the mickey out of our friends, it's in our make-up, but personally, I believe punching down constantly at a club is the point.  I fully appreciate that they don't help themselves by getting wound up, but it's all a bit chicken and egg in that respect.

I'm finding this rebrand hilarious, have took the mick(mainly out of the cheap and shoddy graphic design and PR work).

I support Swinton. How am i punching down?

🤣

Edited by Tim Streets tache
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

47 minutes ago, Tubby said:

So avoid the idiots, allow them to carry on with their unpleasantness and don't do anything about them?  Fair enough, I think it's reasonable to expect people behave better.

Oh come off it.. its mickey taking of something that deserves everything it gets.. its an Internet forum and you can simply ignore things we're hardly a threat to civility on here ffs.. 

The problem is instead of just calling it out they end up throwing back insults.. I called rocket out for something I thought was unpleasant but I don't think I did it in an uneaten way back.. if he had carried on I'd have reported and walked away.. because just throwing insults back helps no one.. 

The problem with the whole Leigh situation is that just when people have go the jokes out of their system a Leigh/Derek come out with something else utterly ridiculous tl start it all back up again. If he wasn't acting in such a way then no one would have carried it on (yesterday's newspapers becoming fish wrappers etc) 

Call me out, your doing it now, but your not being unpleasant or childish about it, that IMHO is the difference.. hence a discussion rather than slanging match.. 

Gubby had a pop at me when I asked a specific question as i didnt know the answer/situation. I got a reply and said, along the lines of, "oh good that's better than what it sounded like on the twitter feed" but then he pounces and has a go.. there was nothing negative at all.. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

I'm finding this rebrand hilarious, have took the mick(mainly out of the cheap and shoddy graphic design and PR work).

🤣

I'm the same as an eagles fan ffs!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

🤣

You're obviously not, but many are.  But, like I said, it's not my argument ot have, merely an observation of why I believe the constant Leigh-baiting may be antagonistic.

3 minutes ago, RP London said:

Oh come off it.. its mickey taking of something that deserves everything it gets.. its an Internet forum and you can simply ignore things we're hardly a threat to civility on here ffs.. 

The problem is instead of just calling it out they end up throwing back insults.. I called rocket out for something I thought was unpleasant but I don't think I did it in an uneaten way back.. if he had carried on I'd have reported and walked away.. because just throwing insults back helps no one.. 

The problem with the whole Leigh situation is that just when people have go the jokes out of their system a Leigh/Derek come out with something else utterly ridiculous tl start it all back up again. If he wasn't acting in such a way then no one would have carried it on (yesterday's newspapers becoming fish wrappers etc) 

Call me out, your doing it now, but your not being unpleasant or childish about it, that IMHO is the difference.. hence a discussion rather than slanging match.. 

Gubby had a pop at me when I asked a specific question as i didnt know the answer/situation. I got a reply and said, along the lines of, "oh good that's better than what it sounded like on the twitter feed" but then he pounces and has a go.. there was nothing negative at all.. 

Much of that I agree with, and I have said before that I don't think some of the Leigh lot help themselves. 

• Like 1

I can kind of get that what was a broad "kits" thread got taken over by the Leigh subject, personally I think the fact they keep doing a new daft thing is what keeps it alive but hey-ho. 

So why don't we just use this one?

Degsy will do something else daft in a minute, like get Avid Merrion's Mel C character to the club's Christmas Party or something - this thread could go on for years, we can all laugh at him in it and the slightly sensitive souls out there can avoid it!!

avid.jpg

• Haha 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

14 minutes ago, Tubby said:

You're obviously not, but many are.  But, like I said, it's not my argument ot have, merely an observation of why I believe the constant Leigh-baiting may be antagonistic.

What i'm struggling to get my head round is that everything is in place for Leigh to be credible next year. A true threat. Building good foundations with the young uns and ladies. The membership offers seem popular etc....

The way they have gone about rolling this this is nothing short of bizarre.  The 2 videos with the African lads explaining what animal is on the club shirt!...the jaguars bottom on the 1st shirt. The "document" which is littered with errors and looked like it was russled up on someones lunch break! The  PS1 leopard graphic! None of the socials/official website containing the actual clubs new name.... I mean... would we see that in any other sport at the top level? 🤣

Edited by Tim Streets tache
  • Like 3

Be interesting when IMG look at rolling 12 month social media “impressions” next year and Leigh Leopards are top because of all the mentions, good and bad. It’s like Derek knows that social media influence will be a heavy weighting of a cat A club.

I suspect he’ll continue to drip feed the good and bad.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, binosh said:

Be interesting when IMG look at rolling 12 month social media “impressions” next year and Leigh Leopards are top because of all the mentions, good and bad. It’s like Derek knows that social media influence will be a heavy weighting of a cat A club.

They might also take into consideration that 99% of the reactions are laughing at it and saying how unprofessional it is.

I would hope IMG put things in place so that clubs have to look professional and not tin pot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, binosh said:

Then someone needs to tell him that us actual, professional marketers look at sentiment analysis as much as the raw numbers when it comes to social media. Negative sentiment is a minus score factor, which gets weighted against engagement metrics. 

It's glorious though

The fact that, weeks later, they still don't even have a website is just next-level. Regardless of what we think about the concept (which is hilarious on its own), just the execution alone is worth a case study in Marketing Week  🤣

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

They might also take into consideration that 99% of the reactions are laughing at it and saying how unprofessional it is.

I would hope IMG put things in place so that clubs have to look professional and not tin pot.

They might.

3 minutes ago, binosh said:

I'm sorry it's this kind of thing that's keeping the threads going. Making out that being consistently mocked on social media is in fact great PR is just another version of the banal truism that "any publicity is good publicity".

If you think IMG are looking at what's happened here and purring I think you've fundamentally misunderstood them, and if you think Derek's orchestrated this whole thing intentionally I need to tell you about the emperors newest robes.

• Like 7

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

29 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I'm sorry it's this kind of thing that's keeping the threads going. Making out that being consistently mocked on social media is in fact great PR is just another version of the banal truism that "any publicity is good publicity".

If you think IMG are looking at what's happened here and purring I think you've fundamentally misunderstood them, and if you think Derek's orchestrated this whole thing intentionally I need to tell you about the emperors newest robes.

No need to be sorry.

• Haha 2

I think most of it has been good natured Mickey taking and some of the puns flying around have been pretty clever TBH. 

Let's be honest most sets of fans get grief about something.

Salford - Crowds (& Marwan back in the day)

Hudds - Crowds

Wakey - Executive level seating in their dugouts

Wigan - Inventing a walk referenced any time any fan of any club leaves a match early.

Some bring it on themselves, some can't do much about it. For Leigh fans a lot of it's self(ie Derek) inflicted.

If he just blended into the background like most owners we'd be able to focus on positive recruitment, an excellent stadium and infrastructure, a newly formed (acquired) Women's team.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think Leigh fans are well within their rights to be miffed at their club having the mickey taken out of them.

I don't understand why that is grounds for locking discussions though. 

Surely things being tiresome isn't a lockable offence?

No, if it were there would be a lot more locked threads on here let me tell ya! 

But sometimes, stuff gets reported when I'm not at work, or am busy doing other things, and the prospect of filleting out a load of off topic gunk to salvage an otherwise decent thread isn't an option.

Rather than just ignore reported posts, or let threads descend any further, I lock 'em. Then, if I have time later, I'll go back and do the filleting.

Take a look at the kits thread, the locking of which last night has prompted this one. Look at what had started out as a decent multi-club discussion, and see where it had ended up: same old stuff about Leigh, that had already been done to death in various other threads, swamping everything else yet again.

What would you have done?

There's no right or wrong answer to that, by the way.

Whatever choice you make in moderating this forum, some people will take issue with it. 

I'm leaving this thread open, so all those who want to indulge themselves in it can do so, and those who don't can give it a swerve.

Let's see where it ends up...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, John Drake said:

No, if it were there would be a lot more locked threads on here let me tell ya! 

But sometimes, stuff gets reported when I'm not at work, or am busy doing other things, and the prospect of filleting out a load of off topic gunk to salvage an otherwise decent thread isn't an option.

Rather than just ignore reported posts, or let threads descend any further, I lock 'em. Then, if I have time later, I'll go back and do the filleting.

Take a look at the kits thread, the locking of which last night has prompted this one. Look at what had started out as a decent multi-club discussion, and see where it had ended up: same old stuff about Leigh, that had already been done to death in various other threads, swamping everything else yet again.

What would you have done?

There's no right or wrong answer to that, by the way.

Whatever choice you make in moderating this forum, some people will take issue with it. 

I'm leaving this thread open, so all those who want to indulge themselves in it can do so, and those who don't can give it a swerve.

Let's see where it ends up...

Maybe if you just let one thread run then others wouldn't get taken off course everytime Leigh make a change or add to what they originally announced, which at the current rate is practically daily.

Kind of like the old Toronto thread where, somewhat hypocritically, certain Leigh fans had absolutely no qualms about sticking the boot in.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 10

5 hours ago, Tim Streets tache said:

Is there some sort of gagging order from Derek Beaumont for this forum? 

All very very bizarre. 

To answer your question:

We can't discuss it because a grown man had a tantrum about people laughing at his favourite team, and ran to the site moderator complaining about it.

The site moderator sympathised with said adult, and locked the discussion.

Incredible.

And I had thought this forum was for rough, tough, rugby league players! He clearly wouldn't get on very well on a League pitch!

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

I think most of it has been good natured Mickey taking and some of the puns flying around have been pretty clever TBH. 

Let's be honest most sets of fans get grief about something.

Salford - Crowds (& Marwan back in the day)

Hudds - Crowds

Wakey - Executive level seating in their dugouts

Wigan - Inventing a walk referenced any time any fan of any club leaves a match early.

Some bring it on themselves, some can't do much about it. For Leigh fans a lot of it's self(ie Derek) inflicted.

If he just blended into the background like most owners we'd be able to focus on positive recruitment, an excellent stadium and infrastructure, a newly formed (acquired) Women's team.

He’s trying, have you seen the new shirts he wears, they are a form of camouflage…

I think it is a bit rich to take the mick about Leigh's rebrand when the majority of Super League teams have daft non-native animal nicknames.

Fans of only St Helens, Hull KR, Hull FC* and Wakefield Trinity* are allowed to mock.

Wolves, Giants, Warriors, and other "cartoon mascot" teams - should be laughing at their own cultural vandalism of their own histories.

* Sharks & Wildcats RIP.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, burningmuscles said:

I think it is a bit rich to take the mick about Leigh's rebrand when the majority of Super League teams have daft non-native animal nicknames.

Fans of only St Helens, Hull KR, Hull FC* and Wakefield Trinity* are allowed to mock.

Wolves, Giants, Warriors, and other "cartoon mascot" teams - should be laughing at their own cultural vandalism of their own histories.

* Sharks & Wildcats RIP.

To be fair, the name 'Leigh Leopards' was probably the least naff part of the whole rebrand.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, burningmuscles said:

* Sharks & Wildcats RIP.

I think you’ve missed the fact most people don’t mind that, it’s everything else, “the how” that is where the issue (and joke) is…. Oh and the anus on the shirt!

• Like 1