Well Done RLWC Team! Best yet!

IM2

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Also wheres the idea it was no where near selling out come from? 68k in a 74 k seater stadium which has reduced capacity because of media and tv gantry.

The crowd looked and sounded fabulous  on TV, even the popular moan fest attendance thread was quiet 😉

It looked presentable for sure , what about the rest ?

20 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The wheelchair and women tournaments absolutely broke through.  

I feel some are missing the point of this World Cup. We've essentially added two new sports to the RL offer: women's and wheelchair.

RLWC21 has proved there is demand for women and wheelchair internationals from TV viewers and in the stands. That means we can now package series involving all three forms of the game, eg Ashes tours up here and down under.

This is something that I really feel we must take advantage of. The response from the RFL of an ENG-FRA Warrington DH and no mention of a wheelchair test is basically "as you were". 

So, whilst bemoaning a lack of breakthrough into the national consciousness, I think we ought to be able to set our stall out for 3 separate events and TV broadcasts when we play the French. 

• Like 1

The topic is entitled "Well done RLWC Team.  Best yet."

Can't we just this once , keep this topic pure?

Yes, it's not been perfect: yes, there are genuine issues for discussion and yes,  these have been explored at extreme length and depth in myriad other RLWC topics.

For me, though, this has been the best and most memorable and most enjoyable RLWC and no amount of gainsaying by a few professional naysayers will change that.

• Like 1

I went to no games

10 minutes ago, iangidds said:
13 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Wheelchair final looked stunning, womens semi final too, st james park looked awesome, elland road great

did you go to any games?

19 minutes ago, JohnM said:

The topic is entitled "Well done RLWC Team.  Best yet."

Can't we just this once , keep this topic pure?

Yes, it's not been perfect: yes, there are genuine issues for discussion and yes,  these have been explored at extreme length and depth in myriad other RLWC topics.

For me, though, this has been the best and most memorable and most enjoyable RLWC and no amount of gainsaying by a few professional naysayers will change that.

You've presented your view, people are allowed to present an alternate view. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, iangidds said:

I went to no games

Ok well i went ti a few and some of those were in my best RL games ever attended category.

The thread title is best RLWC ever, and it seems you disagree (which is totally fine that’s your opinion)

so which was the best RLWC and what made it better than this one?

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Ok well i went ti a few and some of those were in my best RL games ever attended category.

The thread title is best RLWC ever, and it seems you disagree (which is totally fine that’s your opinion)

I honestly dont know what is the best world cup , what i do know is we had a great opportunity to create event which many people myself included think they missed by a long way. 

We need honest open debate to be able to improve upon what we have which at times this forum allows.

4 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

If we look at men's only, for me, only the opener comes close to being a game-changer versus previous world cups. Maybe the Elland Rd semi final too, but the Tonga v England semi 5 years ago probably set the bar there. 

I think this is why I can't agree with the OP (again, remaining on the men's tournament) - there wasnt anything that progressed us on from what we have done before. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

This is something that I really feel we must take advantage of. The response from the RFL of an ENG-FRA Warrington DH and no mention of a wheelchair test is basically "as you were". 

So, whilst bemoaning a lack of breakthrough into the national consciousness, I think we ought to be able to set our stall out for 3 separate events and TV broadcasts when we play the French. 

Maybe that was the plan but the French wheelchair org got in a huff? Wouldn't surprise me. 

Edited by Man of Kent

I've taken time on this as you could argue either way

For me personally

1) Mens game,

I enjoyed the 2013 WC more, it felt more of an "Event", this one apart from a few games did not feel that way.  I think playing too many games in the same locations was a big cause of this.  I did enjoy the semi at Emirates, (once I had gotton over the result), but was it better than 2013 at Wembley, again doubtful.

So for me at best in the mens game we have stood still from 2013, the only positive where we might have gone ahead is the games on BBC which had more exposure.

2) Womens and Wheelchair

This for me saved this worldcup, both events was amazing, and hopefully will not be squanderd going forward

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If we look at men's only, for me, only the opener comes close to being a game-changer versus previous world cups. Maybe the Elland Rd semi final too, but the Tonga v England semi 5 years ago probably set the bar there. 

I think this is why I can't agree with the OP (again, remaining on the men's tournament) - there wasnt anything that progressed us on from what we have done before. 

The one thing these world cups have produced is more jaw dropping moments and seen by more people than ever. 

• Like 1

If we break the men's tournament down by events - all the below is my honest opinion:

Best opener - 2022 - we moved away from Eng v Aus, got a strong crowd in a great venue. Only let down by failed ceremony. 

Best England games - 2013 - biggest cumulative group crowds, with 2 sellouts, a QF like this year - strong performance. 

Best group stages - 1995/2013 tied. Highlights like Wales v Samoa, Tonga v NZ, in 1995. 2013 following Scotland, Tonga, Italy's group. Samoa v NZ, many packed houses. 

Best knockout stages - 2013/2022 - the crowds were very slightly better 9 years ago, but staging the semis as two events was better imho. 

Best final - 2013 - sellout, biggest crowd for neutral teams. 2008 in Brisbane was also outstanding. This year was very good, but our finals generally are strong. 

I really do think it is only once you start adding in women's and wheelchair that we even consider 2022 really being the best. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You've presented your view, people are allowed to present an alternate view. 

Indeed they are. And indeed they have, some even justifiable...again and again and again  and again and again and again  and again and again and again  and again and again and again  and again and again and again  and again and again and again  and again and again and again  and ......and nauseam on an almost infinite number of threads. 

Start ANY topic about the world cup and some will pile in to moan.

Disclaimer. This is my personal view, based only on seeing more or less every world cup topic infected.

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Indeed they are. And indeed they have, some even justifiable...again and again and again  and again and again and again  and again and again and again  and again and again and again  and again and again and again  and again and again and again  and again and again and again  and ......and nauseam on an almost infinite number of threads. 

Disclaimer. This is my personal view, based only on seeing more or less every world cup topic infected.

People not liking something isn't 'infecting' a thread. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Might need to change your avatar, John.

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

33 minutes ago, Dave T said:

So no if you strip out the thing about the tournament that progressed us from where we were then it hasn’t progressed from where we were.

But if we do strip them out id say its a progression from 2017

41 minutes ago, iangidds said:

I honestly dont know what is the best world cup , what i do know is we had a great opportunity to create event which many people myself included think they missed by a long way. 

We need honest open debate to be able to improve upon what we have which at times this forum allows.

But you didn’t go to any games and have only watched 3 minute clips of the games on youtube.

30 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

So no if you strip out the thing about the tournament that progressed us from where we were then it hasn’t progressed from where we were.

But if we do strip them out id say its a progression from 2017

The discussion is reasonable. The RLWC before has been all Men's tournaments, and there are no guarantees that it is going to remain like this in future. If we are comparing, it is reasonable to compare the men's tournament only. 

The women's, PDRL and wheelchair successes are not ignored, they have been acknowledged as the star of the show. 

I think it is difficult to discuss as people will use different success criteria. But in reality, the things that people are using as success (broadcasting, government funding) were delivered before kick off. They were great things, but the actual tournament delivery leaves a lot to be desired. 

Even 2017 had more highs in the men's comp. 

Edited by Dave T

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The discussion is reasonable. The RLWC before has been all Men's tournaments, and there are no guarantees that it is going to remain like this in future. If we are comparing, it is reasonable to compare the men's tournament only. 

The women's, PDRL and wheelchair successes are not ignored, they have been acknowledged as the star of the show. 

I think it is difficult to discuss as people will use different success criteria. But in reality, the things that people are using as success (broadcasting, government funding) were delivered before kick off. They were great things, but the actual tournament delivery leaves a lot to be desired. 

Even 2017 had more highs in the men's comp. 

Highs as occasion or moments, 2013 the England /NZ semi and the Samoa /NZ group games, the latter was because of the difference in levels of the teams, today they are equal. This competition has produced good games both semi finals, Samo/Tonga Fiji /NZ Tonga/Png. It also produced individual moments of brilliance in some of the one sided games. So doom mongers will look at empty seats but highlights will be shown of the action not the seats. 

33 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Highs as occasion or moments, 2013 the England /NZ semi and the Samoa /NZ group games, the latter was because of the difference in levels of the teams, today they are equal. This competition has produced good games both semi finals, Samo/Tonga Fiji /NZ Tonga/Png. It also produced individual moments of brilliance in some of the one sided games. So doom mongers will look at empty seats but highlights will be shown of the action not the seats. 

The sport always delivers great moments on the field. 

• Like 1

On 19/11/2022 at 18:25, Madrileño said:

Oh yes.... fantastic.

People keep talking about Wheelchairs, and women.

Neither of these variations make any money. Neither of them are professional. They are literally an add on to the main event. 

Pretty sad and outdated point of view.  It's not the 70s anymore you know. We're an inclusive sport and these are very much growth areas.  They also attract funding from Sport England.

• Like 3