Shaun Wane vows to carry on

its a shame we have just had a wc at home that we have waited so so long for and its left us with so many unanswered questions about where we are as a team - mainly due to the fact we never shared the field with the best for even 80mins 

• Like 2

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 hours ago, MatthewWoody said:

Being patriotic... What does it have to do with coaching?

In Wanes case,he loves his country. He's invested 100% in the cause. I just love Shaun Wane,he's an Englishman through and through. You only had to look at his various reactions during the tournament. Oh,he happens to be a good coach as well.

2 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

In Wanes case,he loves his country. He's invested 100% in the cause. I just love Shaun Wane,he's an Englishman through and through. You only had to look at his various reactions during the tournament. Oh,he happens to be a good coach as well.

I agree with all the points you wrote but that doesn't mean he makes all the right choices. Things that helped him at wigan are not always transferable to international games especially tournament competitions. 

2 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I agree with all the points you wrote but that doesn't mean he makes all the right choices. Things that helped him at wigan are not always transferable to international games especially tournament competitions. 

He probably doesn't make all the right choices, nobody does. Even some of the best coaches ever have probably dropped the odd clanger. I just have faith in him.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

He probably doesn't make all the right choices, nobody does. Even some of the best coaches ever have probably dropped the odd clanger. I just have faith in him.

I think Wane went into his shell for the Samoa game, he went for reliable and known players rather than pushing the boundries a bit. I think the lesson he has probably learned is go with instinct rather than take the cautious route.

Don't forget the guy has hardly had a chance to test out his players at international level before the WC.

Edited by Padge

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

7 minutes ago, Padge said:

Don't forget the guy has hardly had a chance to test out his players at international level before the WC.

which teams did?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

21 minutes ago, Padge said:

I think Wane went into his shell for the Samoa game, he went for reliable and known players rather than pushing the boundries a bit. I think the lesson he has probably learned is go with instinct rather than take the cautious route.

Fair points. 

1 hour ago, Stanley30 said:

It maybe in some aspects, but if the NRL style rugby is what the aussie national team were playing. Then they can happily keep the boring 1%rugby. The aussies honest to god, bored me. Other than the odd flash of brilliance it was so robotic, I was shocked. 

For me, only way to beat this is play high risk rugby and throw it about. Don't try to match them at the % game. And for god sake dont allow all our players go over there and get drilled into this style of play. 

We need our own style that is entertaining and attracts people to watch and play 

WWE is more your go I would guess then. 

• Haha 1

Cymru Am Byth/New South Wales

1 hour ago, Stanley30 said:

It maybe in some aspects, but if the NRL style rugby is what the aussie national team were playing. Then they can happily keep the boring 1%rugby. The aussies honest to god, bored me. Other than the odd flash of brilliance it was so robotic, I was shocked. 

For me, only way to beat this is play high risk rugby and throw it about. Don't try to match them at the % game. And for god sake dont allow all our players go over there and get drilled into this style of play. 

We need our own style that is entertaining and attracts people to watch and play 

Leeds or Manchester on a November night is hardly going to entice a team to throw the ball around or to risk a pass that doesn't need giving is what I should say. The WC in Europe should be played in July. 

Edited by LlanWests
  • Haha 1

Cymru Am Byth/New South Wales

Removed made no sense

Edited by Padge

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 hours ago, LlanWests said:

Leeds or Manchester on a November night is hardly going to entice a team to throw the ball around or to risk a pass that doesn't need giving is what I should say. The WC in Europe should be played in July. 

So without sl and nrl players.

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Trying to play some sort of high-risk style against Australia would just guarantee an absolute thrashing.  You may not like it but RL simply doesn't reward that sort of play. The reality is there isn't a different/better way to play the game and win.

There are some plays that can work, but unless you can stop making stupid mistakes (which are punished far more brutally in the NRL than SL) and make your tackles you'll lose every time against Australia. Most of the time we play them they don't really have to do much more than wait for someone to make a daft mistake. 

I never understand why Bennett's team gets so little credit for losing just 6-0 in the last WC final.  With a bit of luck we could have won that game, and it was the closest we'd been since the 1990 series.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tippytoe said:

It was a disaster, not to get to the final on home soil with the easier route probably won't get a chance like that for some time. 

I think we need to ask if Australia and NZ would replace their coaches after an identical situation.

If the answer is yes because they would expect to win or reach the final.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DACS said:

Trying to play some sort of high-risk style against Australia would just guarantee an absolute thrashing.  You may not like it but RL simply doesn't reward that sort of play. The reality is there isn't a different/better way to play the game and win.

There are some plays that can work, but unless you can stop making stupid mistakes (which are punished far more brutally in the NRL than SL) and make your tackles you'll lose every time against Australia. Most of the time we play them they don't really have to do much more than wait for someone to make a daft mistake. 

I never understand why Bennett's team gets so little credit for losing just 6-0 in the last WC final.  With a bit of luck we could have won that game, and it was the closest we'd been since the 1990 series.

100% agree.

Its all well and good saying we need to play expansive, English style of rugby league (in mid November) however once a player makes an error on second tackle 20 out from our own line everyone will go ‘you need to hold onto the ball, what are you doing, six tackles and a kick, etc’ . 

Bennett’s achievements in the 2017 were incredible as I feel some people here do not release and appreciate just how big of an advantage/disadvantage having the WC played in the northern/southern hemisphere is (look at the 2019 GB tour, 2008 WC, any touring four nations over the last 15 years etc). It’s one of the reasons why the historical world club challenge results are pretty even as playing it 90% of the time in England is a huge leveller for the English sides.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DACS said:

Agree

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DACS said:

St Helens have played this style for years (hence the entertainers nickname) as did Salford last year. 

It wouldn't guarantee a thrashing, it would provide you opportunities. We have players who are international standard who would surely love to take it to the audsies a play like this. I for one would welcome this and am sure it would benefit the international game

Currently it's low risk, inside ball rugby which had Been tried and tried for years and the aussie are the ultimate masters of. 

Your solution appears to be stick with doing it and celebrate a 6-0 loss? Hence why it's been so bloody long since we've won a game against them, let alone a test or cup. 

Surely after 30 or whatever years of failure we are now at the point of trying something different, which can work, rather than continuelsy trying to copy the aussies at their own game plan? 

Definition of madness in my eyes

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Stanley30 said:

St Helens have played this style for years (hence the entertainers nickname) as did Salford last year. 

It wouldn't guarantee a thrashing, it would provide you opportunities. We have players who are international standard who would surely love to take it to the audsies a play like this. I for one would welcome this and am sure it would benefit the international game

Currently it's low risk, inside ball rugby which had Been tried and tried for years and the aussie are the ultimate masters of. 

Your solution appears to be stick with doing it and celebrate a 6-0 loss? Hence why it's been so bloody long since we've won a game against them, let alone a test or cup. 

Surely after 30 or whatever years of failure we are now at the point of trying something different, which can work, rather than continuelsy trying to copy the aussies at their own game plan? 

Definition of madness in my eyes

England/Great Britain’s playing style or philosophy has very little to do with the ‘30 years or whatever of failure’.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, DACS said:

Agree to a degree - but a very debatable disallowed try early in the second half makes it 12-0 and then it would have been ominous.

He also got to avoid NZ or Aus on the way to the semi finals. The difference between beating Tonga and losing to Samoa was fingertips in each game.

As the football also showed, games are often small margins and key moments that have little to do with coaching.

Edited by Leonard

15 hours ago, Stanley30 said:

Had England been able to step up to play the boring Aussie 1% rugby that the the Aussies can produce and we had won the comp there would have been 60 odd thousand happy folk at Old Trafford and many many more watching on the TV, we would have been saying what a shot in the arm for RL not only here but Internationally as well.

I take it Stanley that with your aversion you do not watch the NRL regularly and witness all those boring player's, I was one of those who did not want Victor Radley in an England shirt (being an Aussie, but that is my opinion) but without doubt he was England's best player throughout the tournament and he is not an exceptional player down under, very good yes, but behind quite a big number of others.

• Like 2