Your home thermostat temperature poll

What do you set it?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What do you set it?

• Less 16oC
    • 24 oC plus

I can see Copa's name at the bottom of the page as a browser on this thread.

Being based where he is, I can't help but wonder if he's thinking "What is this central heating you're all on about?".

• Haha 1
                                                                  :kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

20 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

You need to find out what's turning your heating off before the temperature reaches 21c. If it can reach 21c on any given day of the year it should be able to reach 21c on any other given day as long as your property has reasonable insulation and your boiler is powerful enough to do the job. Obviously in colder months it will take longer to reach 21c but there is no reason for it to turn off at 17c if your room stat is calling for 21c.

The trvs aren't accurate, that's what turns it off. They calibrate properly when the heating is off, but over read the temperature when the heating is on, and that extent of that varies dependent on the start temperature, which in turn depends on the external temperature. 

By way of specific example, the heating is set in all rooms to smart start as required to get to the set temperature at a specific time. My office is set to 22c for 8am. The trv is currently showing 20c but the room temperature is only 16c. Had I checked at 6.30am when I got up, they'd have read the same. 

I could recalibrate the trvs so they're accurate when it's warm, so their temperature is consistent with the actual level. This would mean they'd overstate when the heating is off however. It's not ideal, but understanding how the system works in reality and being able to remotely change every room by time and temperature individually means that by constant fettling we can be as warm as required whilst minimising oil consumption. 

Edited by gazza77

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

I think we're probably on the same page here but reading things slightly differently. I thought in your initial post you were inferring that just having TRVs would mean your boiler running constantly so I pointed out that it wouldn't as the built in stat would shut it down periodically. And of course having a room stat is the best way to control the temperature inside a house, providing it's installed in one of the cooler locations otherwise it would be near to useless.

In my experience, TRVs are prone to sticking and becoming redundant over time, but of course this may depend on the quality of them. Like a lot of inventions, they're a great idea provided they work as designed.

But a room stat is easily installed and by far the best way to control your central heating. I have even installed wireless ones that seem to operate fine even though I hardly ever recommend wireless technology around the home as I feel it's too prone to external interferences and issues as well as problems caused by limited battery life.

Programmable room stats are just the bees knees and the beauty of them at the moment is that you can often buy them second hand very cheaply as folk obsessed with their mobile phones have them replaced with Hive stats or summat similar. Why would you want to control the temperature of your home from your phone when a programmable room stat will do it for you providing you set it up properly. 

I used a programmable room stat for years and it was brilliant. Once set up I never needed to touch it, but the system was sized perfectly 

I've since moved and have modernised the system but it struggles due to poor pipe sizing and incorrect rad sizes. It's an older property with poor insulation, I'm renovating and upgrading sections as I go. I regret not re piping it at first as half the rooms are now done which makes it now difficult.

I use a nest WiFi stat, it's convenient and has some clever features but I'm reality no better than a good programmable stat. 

If sized correctly, positioned correctly then a programmable room stat would be best option IMHO

13 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

The trvs aren't accurate, that's what turns it off. They calibrate properly when the heating is off, but over read the temperature when the heating is on, and that extent of that varies dependent on the start temperature, which in turn depends on the external temperature. 

By way of specific example, the heating is set in all rooms to smart start as required to get to the set temperature at a specific time. My office is set to 22c for 8am. The trv is currently showing 20c but the room temperature is only 16c. Had I checked at 6.30am when I got up, they'd have read the same. 

I could recalibrate the trvs so they're accurate when it's warm, so their temperature is consistent with the actual level. This would mean they'd overstate when the heating is off however. It's not ideal, but understanding how the system works in reality and being able to remotely change every room by time and temperature individually means that by constant fettling we can be as warm as required whilst minimising oil consumption. 

It's an issue with any temp measuring device, finding the right spot. TRVs in corners with coats on turn off, the number of call outs I've had when this has been the case!!! Thinking the rad is broken.

If sized correctly and a stat in zones is far better than TRVs. As you can tell I'm not a huge fan of TRVs as I don't believe they give the control suggested. Better than standard but limited

8 hours ago, JohnM said:

Britis Gas serviced the complete system for around five or six  years (until I got fed up of paying their extortionate charges) and only ever noted minor points where the system met the standards applicable to the year of installation but not the current standards but there was no requirement to meet those later standards .

True, if it met the refs when installed that's fine, just an improvement notice. Unless dangerous of course.

Control upgrade should always be suggested as it's the easiest way to reduce running costs.

8 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

It's an issue with any temp measuring device, finding the right spot. TRVs in corners with coats on turn off, the number of call outs I've had when this has been the case!!! Thinking the rad is broken.

If sized correctly and a stat in zones is far better than TRVs. As you can tell I'm not a huge fan of TRVs as I don't believe they give the control suggested. Better than standard but limited

I wouldn't disagree, and like anything, it's a balance. 13 room stats would have been far more expensive and would still have been impacted by the limited scope for positioning where they would be out of either direct sunlight at certain times or the multiple draughts or exposed stonework of a large & old house. 

Tbh, my primary concern now is working on how we can insulate to a better standard, noting that as a listed building their are certain things that are off limits straight away. That will be the more cost effective way for us to be warmer for less in the longer term. 

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

2 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

I can see Copa's name at the bottom of the page as a browser on this thread.

Being based where he is, I can't help but wonder if he's thinking "What is this central heating you're all on about?".

It gets down to -8 here in Canberra. Lots of morning frost at times too.

During winter I just try to keep the room warm. We just have one gas heater in the lounge room and don’t use heaters in the bedrooms.

The heater doesn’t have a temperature setting just a digital readout that goes from low to high.

I turn off the heating overnight regardless of the predicted morning temperature (even if it’s -8) and then turn on the heater in the lounge room again when I wake up.

I do have a fully ducted evaporative cooling system that has an outlet in every room for summer. It works really well and is very inexpensive to run.

Edited by Copa

Thermostat? [commences 4 Yorkshiremen rant ...]

I may have sullied the integrity of your poll. I just wanted to see how the results were going and I couldn't without "voting." I selected because it was right in the middle. The correct answer is "Thermostat? Don't you need some kind of heating or cooling device to have a thermostat?"

I haven't used a heater for at least 30 years. I've never had an air conditioner of any kind at home. The temperature at my place over the last few years has ranged from 0° to 48°C so I just cope with it.

I have a full power high efficency gas furnace with a programmable thermostat...21 in the day time and 16 at night.  I also have a wood fireplace as backup...I also have electric heaters to back up that back up.

If it all goes to hell in a hand basket I have -40 sleeping bags ready to go....if i fit the wife in there with me its like our honeymoon night all over again.

Its Canada ya know.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gazza77 said:

I'd beg to differ on that, based on personal experience. It may be psychological that on sunny days its not as cold, irrespective of the external temperature or it may be because a large, old, draughty house that's badly insulated just feels cold due to all the exposed stonework. Either way, I regulalry fettle the internal temperature as I feel is needed as external temperature changes. 

Yeah I agree with this 

It definitely feels different 22oC inside on a. Frosty cold day than 22oC on say an autumn day (both with heating on)

Maybe it's less radiant heat from brickwork adding to the mix of the air temp 

5 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I have a full power high efficency gas furnace with a programmable thermostat...21 in the day time and 16 at night.  I also have a wood fireplace as backup...I also have electric heaters to back up that back up.

If it all goes to hell in a hand basket I have -40 sleeping bags ready to go....if i fit the wife in there with me its like our honeymoon night all over again.

Its Canada ya know.

What's a monthly gas bill look in Canada then?

21 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

I haven't used a heater for at least 30 years. I've never had an air conditioner of any kind at home. The temperature at my place over the last few years has ranged from 0° to 48°C so I just cope with it.

I guess you have so many guitars you can just burn one if you get cold?

47 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Okay overall I am reassured by the poll 

So we have it at 21-22oC depending on how cold it 'feels' 

Several people I asked in real life said 18oC (most people in fact) and I was amazed......

18oC seems really low to me 

18c is plenty if you're moving about. Sat still for hours on end, and you'll be cold. 

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb

7 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I guess when I'm home Im not moving (apart from the half hour or so cleaning etc when I get in) 

I notice it most when WFH, which is why I try to get up and move regularly. Evenings less so, but if we're in front of the TV a night we'll often light a fire. 

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb

21 hours ago, hw88 said:

In this cold weather I've put mine up to 20 (normally it's 18) - but it is only on for 3 hours per day.

Last year it was 22 and 6 hours per day!

If you're normally happy with 18ºC, why isn't 18ºC enough now?

Edited by Griff

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

43 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

I notice it most when WFH, which is why I try to get up and move regularly. Evenings less so, but if we're in front of the TV a night we'll often light a fire. 

Do people get a WFH discount or anything.....I guess it's a big thing actually these days to keep a house warm while working 

I dropped mine by 1C back in March and reduced the amount of time per day it's active by about 10%. Since then my gas usage is down 20-25%. Bill is still 3 times what it was when i had my fixed deal.

Also, the two main rooms we use in the daytime have the doors shut. I'd like to have the thermostat in the living room really, not the hall. The hall is pretty open to the upstairs so any heat goes up there. I'm planning to get a different control system before next winter. 

Edited by tim2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

5 hours ago, gazza77 said:

I wouldn't disagree, and like anything, it's a balance. 13 room stats would have been far more expensive and would still have been impacted by the limited scope for positioning where they would be out of either direct sunlight at certain times or the multiple draughts or exposed stonework of a large & old house. 

Tbh, my primary concern now is working on how we can insulate to a better standard, noting that as a listed building their are certain things that are off limits straight away. That will be the more cost effective way for us to be warmer for less in the longer term. 

There's lots of things on the market now, remote TRVs or just TRVs with a long wire so the temp device is on the wall.

Always a balance between cost and gain.

Yes insulation and ventilation is key

2 hours ago, Griff said:

If you're normally happy with 18ºC, why isn't 18ºC enough now?

Last year - when cost was no problem - it was on at 22. I only turned it back on a couple of weeks ago so I thought I'd try it at 18 - bearing in mind the increased cost. I've decided this is too low so I put it up to 20 - I may change it again later, trial and error and all that!

4 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Okay overall I am reassured by the poll 

So we have it at 21-22oC depending on how cold it 'feels' 

Several people I asked in real life said 18oC (most people in fact) and I was amazed......

18oC seems really low to me 

Preferred setting can be massively influenced by where the thermostat is situated in the house, and if thermostatic valves are installed. I've lived in a house where any setting above 6°C would turn the house into a sauna because the thermostat was on an outside wall in a north facing hall with an ill fitting front door.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Preferred setting can be massively influenced by where the thermostat is situated in the house, and if thermostatic valves are installed. I've lived in a house where any setting above 6°C would turn the house into a sauna because the thermostat was on an outside wall in a north facing hall with an ill fitting front door.

Mines a mobile one...I have it right in middle of living room....generally work well

5 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Do people get a WFH discount or anything.....I guess it's a big thing actually these days to keep a house warm while working 

You can claim a very small amount back through tax. Beyond that no (or not as both of us are NHS employees). The cost of heating even at today's prices is less than spent on commuting however, and the flexibility and extra free time are worth more than money to us as well. 

• Like 2

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb