Odsal Superdome update

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

What spin? They’ve got an awful ground and facilities so made a bid for levelling up funding to improve the stadium and RL facilities for the club and local people. This, like many other bids has been turned down in favour of others, it was never guaranteed to come off but at least they tried. 

Won't stop their "media" wing using this as a conspiracy against the Bulls. I wish them, and all clubs wanting to improve, well, but this was a nonsense from day one, and should have been reported on as such.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, RigbyLuger said:

Won't stop their "media" wing using this as a conspiracy against the Bulls. I wish them, and all clubs wanting to improve, well, but this was a nonsense from day one, and should have been reported on as such.

It must have been nonsense if this Government has seen through the plan

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

I seriously doubt all but the biggest Premiership clubs would go bespoke due to cost. Everyone else will buy off the shelf which is not the same as not as good

A £40 million bespoke redevelopment in North Leeds says ehem

6 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yes I was thinking this 

Aren't Leeds united doing a new stand too?

With the 49ers (who recently built a new stadium themselves) taking full control, it is expected that basically all of ER save the large east stand will be rebuilt in the next 5 to 10 years. West stand first, the Don Revie Kop is still up for discussion on how that is going to be done but the Supporters trust want it to be a spurs style single tier mega stand. I believe the plan is to move the pitch too so the South stand can be enlarged.

Debate over 55k or 65k capacity being touted. 

5 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Wow...will they fill that?

All but selling out cup replays, pre season matches and league cup games against lower league opponents in minutes at the moment. And that's just being in the premier league nevermind challenging for anything towards the top.

There's so much demand its ridiculous, domestically and internationally. 17 years outside the premier league and then boom. I note the Delloitte top 20 Money list has been revealed and premier league teams make up over half for the first time, with Leeds (along with Leicester, Newcastle, West Ham and Everton) being in there. I think West Ham and Everton are good comparisons for Leeds in terms of going from a 30 odd thousand stadium to a 50 to 60k plus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

All but selling out cup replays, pre season matches and league cup games against lower league opponents in minutes at the moment. And that's just being in the premier league nevermind challenging for anything towards the top.

There's so much demand its ridiculous, domestically and internationally. 17 years outside the premier league and then boom. I note the Delloitte top 20 Money list has been revealed and premier league teams make up over half for the first time, with Leeds (along with Leicester, Newcastle, West Ham and Everton) being in there. I think West Ham and Everton are good comparisons for Leeds in terms of going from a 30 odd thousand stadium to a 50 to 60k plus.

of course assuming they are not relegated...  funny all those teams you note apart from Newcastle are in the relegation battle.

4 minutes ago, redjonn said:

of course assuming they are not relegated...  funny all those teams you note apart from Newcastle are in the relegation battle.

All have been in the relegation spots in the past 12 months. It just shows the strength throughout the Premier League.

On 18/12/2022 at 18:44, hindle xiii said:

Until now I just thought Delius was the name of an old pub and I've lived here all my life. 🙄

Pleb

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

25 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Leeds would have absolutely no bother selling out a 50k stadium.

Down here, Brighton must kick themselves that their ground only holds 30,000. It's great and has an amazing atmosphere but they could sell out twice over for a lot of games.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

39 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

With the 49ers (who recently built a new stadium themselves)

At least that stadium will give a lesson in how not to do it.

Staying on topic:

Could the RFL and Bradford Bulls start seeing Odsal the same way that everyone else does? As in: it's a ****heap whose better days are a lifetime ago. Your future is not there or, if it is, accept that it's not going to be a particularly competitive future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

At least that stadium will give a lesson in how not to do it.

Staying on topic:

Could the RFL and Bradford Bulls start seeing Odsal the same way that everyone else does? As in: it's a ****heap whose better days are a lifetime ago. Your future is not there or, if it is, accept that it's not going to be a particularly competitive future.

It's "iconic" though.

Back on topic, I'm not in the least bit surprised in this news. After all, Bradford South has a Labour MP. If we had a Tory MP like Richmond, then the cash would flow in like a torrent.

In unrelated news, my town - which happens to have Simon "Nurses need to budget" Clarke as our MP - got £15 million to regenerate the high street.

Utterly corrupt system. 

The question now is what next for Odsal and the Bulls? I think there is somewhere between zero and wafer-thin chance of ANY investment into the current stadium site.

Unfortunately, it looks like there isn't a viable alternative in the City.

Valley Parade - pitch too small, stadium too big, too expensive

Horsfall - too expensive to develop, parking issues, resident opposition

New stadium on new site - no chance, no money

16 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Leeds would have absolutely no bother selling out a 50k stadium.

Down here, Brighton must kick themselves that their ground only holds 30,000. It's great and has an amazing atmosphere but they could sell out twice over for a lot of games.

Agreed, which is why 60k plus is being discussed.

The Council owns Odsal and has allowed it to fall into disrepair. It, plus the current Bulls owner, plus the Rugby League have allowed the Stock Car franchise to pinch about a third of the rugby pitch and set concrete bollards along the touchlines. The pitch is not fit for professional rugby.

It might be argued that this was acceptable if the council thought it could redevelop a new stadium on the Richard Dunn sports centre ... set on the opposite side of the road and already closed following the construction of a nearby replacement.

However:

- A (presumed) mischief-maker contacted the government and got a Grade II Listing for the Richard Dunn building as it has a uniquely constructed tin roof. It is so unique that in the intervening fifty years since construction, nobody has bothered building another.

- The Council has squandered millions and millions of pounds on worthless vanity projects while leaving genuine historical sandstone buildings to rot away till Mr Never-Caught burns them down.

None of the levelling-up requests covered the compulsory purchase and restitution of these beautiful buildings. This could help to address the city's problems with homeless people and bed-blocking at the hospitals

- The Council has recently had its Child-Safety responsibility removed after gross negligence resulted in the murder of an innocent child whose welfare had been repeatedly been reported.

- The unpopular Council Chief Executive ... salary £200,000+ ... has announced she is leaving. That leaves the charmless Council Leader to push for this levelling-up grant. She has taken many opportunities to slag off the Conservative Government but then expects it to hand over millions to an organisation with a terrible record of bringing in schemes on time and budget.

- A Council  that forbids planning permission for fast food shops within 250m of schools .  because of child obesity issues ...  is building secondary schools without playing fields. Yet, it has applied for £50million towards Odsal.

- We are to be the City of Culture in 2025 and the Council has claimed the city could get half a million visitors. At the same time, it is proposing to demolish four car parks.

For a laugh, anyone could read the comments on the announcement, as addressed by the Telegraph and Argus.:

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/23260992.blow-50m-odsal-plan-levelling-fund-snubs-bradford/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police