Hurricanes new ground

To be announced tomorrow according to website

The suggestion was the Alexander stadium or at least the adjacent training ground, but delays suggest it may be elsewhere. Hopefully not a renewal at Birmingham and Solihull RU. 

This is the key year for hurricanes, the plus is the squad looks the strongest they have had, albeit moving to the heartlands model, rather than local players.

it is clearly difficult on a budget and with a small off field presence but hopefully as this is in effect a new start, some marketing will take place along with and after the same issue although the same issues apply as at Broncos in identifying how to make a presence in a large area. Cornwall can get close to a thousand and this needs to be the aim for the first game, along with home wins early on. 

I just hope it is not the same few regulars from last year as there are not enough.

Before anyone points it out I accept I am suggesting what they should do,  without actually offering to do anything myself, I accept this 100%

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It would be gteat to get 500 there to start with. I'm expecting the promtion of the club's first home game to begin in earnest once the ground is announced and season tickets go on sale. Don't think much could be done until that was established.

The replica shirts arrived yesterday so things are starting to move. 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, groundhopper said:

To be announced tomorrow according to website

The suggestion was the Alexander stadium or at least the adjacent training ground, but delays suggest it may be elsewhere. Hopefully not a renewal at Birmingham and Solihull RU. 

This is the key year for hurricanes, the plus is the squad looks the strongest they have had, albeit moving to the heartlands model, rather than local players.

it is clearly difficult on a budget and with a small off field presence but hopefully as this is in effect a new start, some marketing will take place along with and after the same issue although the same issues apply as at Broncos in identifying how to make a presence in a large area. Cornwall can get close to a thousand and this needs to be the aim for the first game, along with home wins early on. 

I just hope it is not the same few regulars from last year as there are not enough.

Before anyone points it out I accept I am suggesting what they should do,  without actually offering to do anything myself, I accept this 100%

Crucial questions:

Will it be close to the M62?

Will if have a railway station?

Will they sell meat pies?

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Crucial questions:

Hopefully.....

1. closer to the M6

2. within walking distance

3. yes but it's odd that the usual 'street food' vendors shy away from this portable classic

4 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Crucial questions:

1) Close to the M62?

Absolutely it's only 1 Street away.

2) Will it have a railway station? 

No. It has 2 - New Street and Snow Hill

3) As for the meat pies probably not.

Midlanders tend to replace the proper accompaniment meat filling (potato) with gravy.( heathens)

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

46 minutes ago, Bearman said:

2) Will it have a railway station? 

No. It has 2 - New Street and Snow Hill

Surely 3  - Moor Street?

(4, if you include international - plus dozens of suburban stations that don't have the B word in the name)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iffleyox said:

Surely 3  - Moor Street?

(4, if you include international - plus dozens of suburban stations that don't have the B word in the name)

If ever there was a case for levelling up this is it. Dozens of stations in Burmingham but nothing in a well known suburb of Wigan MBC

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

If ever there was a case for levelling up this is it. Dozens of stations in Burmingham but nothing in a well known suburb of Wigan MBC

add another 24 people for every person currently living in Leigh and the case will be unanswerable 😉

A great venue for them to build from. 

Can’t see that there’s much if any provision for spectators in the community field so will be interesting how they look to charge for paying customers, but something to build on, and of course the stadium next door to aspire to! 

Well done them. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

1 minute ago, Toby Chopra said:

Are they playing in the main stadium, or on the field next door? There doesn't seem to be any spectator facilities on the latter? 

The field next door by the looks of it. I'm not sure how that will work unless they erect a temporary stand but looking at it that would have to be on the running track which I'd imagine is a no go. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

5 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Are they playing in the main stadium, or on the field next door? There doesn't seem to be any spectator facilities on the latter? 

Looking on the club's own release, it looks like the warm-up arena in 2023, and the main stadium from 2024. Good work Hurricanes. 

• Like 1

What an anti-climax. Looks like no seating or terrace whatsoever. Standing only at ground level does not sound like good news at all to me.

What is the RFL criteria regarding League One venues? There is usually a minimum seating and capacity requirement for each division, no?

On 05/01/2023 at 19:02, groundhopper said:

This is the key year for hurricanes...

Is this a global warming thread ?

Edited by Griff
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

37 minutes ago, langpark said:

What an anti-climax. Looks like no seating or terrace whatsoever. Standing only at ground level does not sound like good news at all to me.

What is the RFL criteria regarding League One venues? There is usually a minimum seating and capacity requirement for each division, no?

from the link: 

'Bleacher style covered stands will be installed on the running track.'

• Like 1

Although for the first year it will the warm up pitch, I am optimistically thinking that 2024 will be the main stadium, which will be a fantastic venue for League 1! However, as mentioned above, the area is without much character with poor public transport links - it's always been that way; even when we went to see the AAAs when I was a kid we drove. However off the M42 where they've been this year train links were even worse.

For me however, from where I'm based, a 15min drive last season turns into a 45 min drive this. Bearing in mind I am a "local" supporter, walking to and from stations and getting the trains would be 2 hours each way. On a Sunday I can do Halliwell Jones in 3!

So, to be fair, it makes the travel down the M6 a lot nearer for most away fans which is really good. Although 2022 was fun, I might find attending as many home games a bit trickier this coming season. I hope they do move up to the main park in 2024, as that will be far too tempting to stay away for!

• Like 1