I wonder who the 5 oldest members of TRLF are?

23 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

I had an actual fall from grace in the week before Christmas. Slipped on an icy pavement and currently recovering from a broken collarbone and a cut  area of scalp.

It's only fair to warn you that my shoulder has been slightly less painful than watching Kearball every week.

I'm 68.

Sorry to hear that, W6.  Get well soon.

6 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Ha!

You know I ain't no victim and even if I was I would never admit it!

You present us with a bit of a dilemma, K'man.  If you would never admit to being a victim then, no, we don't know that you are not one.  And then there is the issue of the double negative.  Is it for emphasis, or actually a true statement?  If the latter, then you are admitting it; perhaps this is your guarded way of admitting it.  But you said you never would.  This is all too much; I think I will lie down for a while...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, George Watt said:

Thanks OF. Am rapidly heading for 85!  First RL match I remember attending in Hull was in 1945 at Craven Park closely followed by a trip to the Boulevard. Mum born in East Hull was Hull KR and dad born in West Hull was FC. When I was born in 1938 my parents were running a pub in the 'Old Town' which was demolished in the 70's.

Which pub was it? I started drinking in the Old Town in the mid 70s.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

8 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Do you have any memory of the news from 45? I.e VE day and all that? 

Yes-remember VE day very well. Surprisingly do not remember VJ day of which my wife has a vivid memory when she had candy floss for the first time aged 3 and got it all over her face and hair after going to a celebration at Millom cricket field. She was born on the day 3 years before the first atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima on the 6th of August 1945.

I have lots of memories of the war years when we had an air raid shelter in the back garden. Lived near to East Hull docks from 1940 and my most vivid memory is of an  anti aircraft gun and searchlights mounted at the top of Marfleet hill which was opposite my upstairs bedroom window. Lived close to Marfleet station and a few bombs dropped but missed the rail line. No bombs dropped on our street but it was strafed by bullets with 4 houses of 10 in the street hit but only lightly damaged. Fenner's factory near the docks which was only a 5-10 minute walk from our house was hit in one raid.

One day after a bombing raid I saw a number of aluminium strips scattered near the railway line- the bombers dropped these to interfere with radar and searchlights. Foolishly I picked one up and cut my finger pretty deeply and a trace of the scar remains to this day. My war wound!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, George Watt said:

Yes-remember VE day very well. Surprisingly do not remember VJ day of which my wife has a vivid memory when she had candy floss for the first time aged 3 and got it all over her face and hair after going to a celebration at Millom cricket field. She was born on the day 3 years before the first atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima on the 6th of August 1945.

I have lots of memories of the war years when we had an air raid shelter in the back garden. Lived near to East Hull docks from 1940 and my most vivid memory is of an  anti aircraft gun and searchlights mounted at the top of Marfleet hill which was opposite my upstairs bedroom window. Lived close to Marfleet station and a few bombs dropped but missed the rail line. No bombs dropped on our street but it was strafed by bullets with 4 houses of 10 in the street hit but only lightly damaged. Fenner's factory near the docks which was only a 5-10 minute walk from our house was hit in one raid.

One day after a bombing raid I saw a number of aluminium strips scattered near the railway line- the bombers dropped these to interfere with radar and searchlights. Foolishly I picked one up and cut my finger pretty deeply and a trace of the scar remains to this day. My war wound!

Incredible that George....a war wound indeed!

My youngest is doing WW2 at school and has enjoyed going to Bletchley Park and other museums with us to help her recently 

Her great grandparents are still alive at 97 and 98....they are still sharp of mind but struggle physically. Always interesting hearing thier memories of the 40s 

What was the schooling like just after the war? Imagine plenty of shortages in education then ?

7 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Sorry to hear that, W6.  Get well soon.

You present us with a bit of a dilemma, K'man.  If you would never admit to being a victim then, no, we don't know that you are not one.  And then there is the issue of the double negative.  Is it for emphasis, or actually a true statement?  If the latter, then you are admitting it; perhaps this is your guarded way of admitting it.  But you said you never would.  This is all too much; I think I will lie down for a while...

You might be reading more into it than is actually there....its twisted no doubt...but I will never play the victim even if I am....its not in my character...I write my own narrative.

Twisted Lesson #2:  When Cicero says you should never make a friend with a person because when you meet them you think that one day they may become your enemy that is not a good enough reason to make them your friend. 

Now that is twisted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ullman said:

It was the Tivoli Hotel in Mytongate which reputedly had over a 3 century history in the Old Town. Sometimes called the Tivoli Tavern it was reported to be the last pub in Hull that held #### Fighting. Believe it was demolished in the early 70's after previously being closed for a few years.  I left Hull in 1959 but came back for Christmas with my family every year until I left England in 1966. Was last in the Tivoli the year before. All history of the pub appears to have vanished from historical records and is not even listed in "Lost Pubs in Hull" which is a well known publication.

You love history so maybe a project you would like to pursue!?

Dad had to give up the Tivoli as he entered a reserved occupation as a dock electrician in early 1940 and we  went to live near the East Hull docks in Marfleet Lane. Dad was also on call out as a general electrician during bombing raids which meant we were the first people in the street to have a telephone and a car(plus petrol coupons!)

In the 50's on Friday/Saturday nights I went on a pub crawl with half a dozen or so of my pals before ending up at the City Hall dance. Included White Hart,Bluebell Inn,Corn Exchange and the Tivoli which was always the last pub visited.

On a Friday night Bluebell Inn had a great Jazz night and on  Saturday night a raucous sing song ensued in the back room of the Corn Exchange before we moved on to the Tiv.

Lovely memories of those long gone days!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RoyBoy295 said:

At 53, i feel like a young pup here

You could be in the 5 youngest. 

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I work in brownfield sites. For some jobs in areas like Hull, the developers will have commissioned a report on the likelihood of hitting unexploded ordnance.

Fortunately, never hit anything yet!

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

14 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Never knew Hull had an old town....looks nice 

Is it a nice place for a night out? (Might put it on the list of things to see on a SL trip weekend)

Hull's Old Town is a gem. Often gets used as a location for film shoots these days.

Plenty of decent pubs too. Some of them only a few yards apart. 

• Like 2

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 10/01/2023 at 23:23, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Incredible that George....a war wound indeed!

My youngest is doing WW2 at school and has enjoyed going to Bletchley Park and other museums with us to help her recently 

Her great grandparents are still alive at 97 and 98....they are still sharp of mind but struggle physically. Always interesting hearing thier memories of the 40s 

What was the schooling like just after the war? Imagine plenty of shortages in education then ?

We should all try to get our older relatives to document their lives, maybe in writing or better, in audio recording. At some point it will be too late.  My dad left a few tapes which we've shared.

Now it's my turn to do the same. I was at infant school from 1950.  There may well have been shortages at school but we didn't know it, as we didn't know what we could have had since we'd never had it in the first place. 

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 1

On 07/01/2023 at 14:29, Old Frightful said:

Talking of ages, do people remember Viking Warrior, a Widnes fan who used to post on here? His posting style and, in my opinion, his seeming inability to accept any other opinion other than his made me think he was in his teens. I was absolutely astounded when he stated that he was in his sixties.

IIRC, he offered to settle a discussion with a punch up on more than one occasion. I think he eventually decided to go and support Saints, too.

15 hours ago, JonM said:

IIRC, he offered to settle a discussion with a punch up on more than one occasion. I think he eventually decided to go and support Saints, too.

He once posted about a friendly fixture that he'd been to see involving Widnes. I asked what score it had ended up as it hadn't been mentioned anywhere and he replied "Why don't you f* *k off"

How was I to know they'd lost by sixty odd and he was feeling a bit sensitive about it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

On 11/01/2023 at 00:42, George Watt said:

It was the Tivoli Hotel in Mytongate which reputedly had over a 3 century history in the Old Town. Sometimes called the Tivoli Tavern it was reported to be the last pub in Hull that held #### Fighting. Believe it was demolished in the early 70's after previously being closed for a few years.  I left Hull in 1959 but came back for Christmas with my family every year until I left England in 1966. Was last in the Tivoli the year before. All history of the pub appears to have vanished from historical records and is not even listed in "Lost Pubs in Hull" which is a well known publication.

You love history so maybe a project you would like to pursue!?

Dad had to give up the Tivoli as he entered a reserved occupation as a dock electrician in early 1940 and we  went to live near the East Hull docks in Marfleet Lane. Dad was also on call out as a general electrician during bombing raids which meant we were the first people in the street to have a telephone and a car(plus petrol coupons!)

In the 50's on Friday/Saturday nights I went on a pub crawl with half a dozen or so of my pals before ending up at the City Hall dance. Included White Hart,Bluebell Inn,Corn Exchange and the Tivoli which was always the last pub visited.

On a Friday night Bluebell Inn had a great Jazz night and on  Saturday night a raucous sing song ensued in the back room of the Corn Exchange before we moved on to the Tiv.

Lovely memories of those long gone days!

Absolute scandal that they were allowed to demolish buildings dating back to the 1700s just so they could replace them with that blight on the Old Town we know as Castle Street.

I'll ask our next door neighbour if he remembers Tivoli. He goes back a bit further than I do and has an encyclopaedic knowledge of old Hull pubs.

On 10/01/2023 at 19:52, Ullman said:

On that reckoning I would think it would be at least the mid 80s before you actually bought a round.

• Haha 2
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

3 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

On that reckoning I would think it would be at least the mid 80s before you actually bought a round.

It was only down to inexperience that it happened as soon as that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Can we clarify, the mid 1980's or 85ish years of age (or both)?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris