Match thread: Championship Rd 2. Featherstone Rovers v Halifax. Sunday 12th February 2023.

marklaspalmas

Just now, Monkeymagic22 said:

It’s a real shame that this situation with Fax has carried on for all these years, as there did used to be big following of Fax fans at Fev. 

Yeah but we're not talking the Hull clubs or Leeds ,c@$ or Wakey crowds.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

It’s a real shame that this situation with Fax has carried on for all these years, as there did used to be big following of Fax fans at Fev. 

It is a real shame and I'm NOT defending our 'idiots ' but  some Fax fan's aren't Angels.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

...and Fax used to outnumber the Rovers fans at POR. There's a reason we don't go to this fixture and If we had 150 supporters there yesterday it's 150 too many in my opinion. Meanwhile your club lose thousands each time we play there. That's no good to anybody. 

I'd argue that it's more a reflection on your poor home support.  You averaged around the 1800 mark last year and that includes the sizeable away following of clubs like Fev, Bradford, Widnes and Leigh.

On 13/02/2023 at 10:23, POR said:

PEOPLE are talking about the defence and the sloppy tries but in hindsight it's just one of those things or as Matt shaw says

We've spoken Riley Dean up a lot but he won't want to watch this one back. He shoots from the line, Woodburn-Hall bumps him off and races through to score Fax's third

and

That came from nowhere. Woodburn-Hall has a second, Featherstone seemed to switch off and he just raced 50 metres untouched The scoreline looks slightly kinder for Fax now:kolobok_grin:

On the flip side look at our defence in the first half when the Knob jockey with the whistle gave them repeated sets in our 20 when the game was still in the balance Bottom LINE we've just  totally out played the third favourites in the championship or as our favourite reporter says  demolition of promotion rivals Halifax Panthers 

Looking at  mckenzies yellow that's all down to the fax player staying down knob jockey all ready given a penalty BUT thinks woodburn -hall injured so that's a bad one yellow in second half high tackle on FEV   knob jockey thinks no one hurt  one of those things  no yellow

If a player was to use homophobic slurs like that on the pitch they'd be getting an 8 match ban. If the fans use those terms the club could be getting (another) fine, just in case you weren't aware of what you're saying...

• Like 7

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

14 minutes ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

LasLast seasn Fax took 700/800 fans to Batley on the opening day of the season. A couple of weeks later it was quoted as around 250 at POR. The stats are there for all to see.

Not a chance there was more than 200 fax fans. The away stand virtually empty 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

If a player was to use homophobic slurs like that on the pitch they'd be getting an 8 match ban. If the fans use those terms the club could be getting (another) fine, just in case you weren't aware of what you're saying...

No need to call the Ref that in this day and age, we all slam Refs at times but how many of us would do it ? 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

LasLast seasn Fax took 700/800 fans to Batley on the opening day of the season. A couple of weeks later it was quoted as around 250 at POR. The stats are there for all to see.

To be fair, you lost at Batley and by the time you came to POR you had lost at home to London and to us in the Cup so I think a lot of that early-season optimism had gone.

I do think that there are probably a fair number of Fax fans who won't come to POR because they anticipate trouble, and that's a shame for a number of reasons, but I think there are also quite a few who don't come because they think they're going to get beaten.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I do think that there are probably a fair number of Fax fans who won't come to POR because they anticipate trouble, and that's a shame for a number of reasons, but I think there are also quite a few who don't come because they think they're going to get beaten.

Whereas the die-hards from Fax who do turn up, know they'll lose. 😉😂😂😂

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

13 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I  do think that there are probably a fair number of Fax fans who won't come to POR because they anticipate trouble, and that's a shame for a number of reasons, but I think there are also quite a few who don't come because they think they're going to get beaten.

I think the vast majority don't come because they think they will get beaten.  Put it this way - f they were favourites for the title this year or realistic challengers those stay-away fans would soon put aside their allegedly honourable reasons for not turning up at our place. They're simply the most fickle supporters in the league.  You only have to look at the home support which for a town of that size is a disgrace.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

To be fair, you lost at Batley and by the time you came to POR you had lost at home to London and to us in the Cup so I think a lot of that early-season optimism had gone.

There will be some of that tbf.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Probably the latter.

• Like 1

Obviously some Fax fans don’t come because they expect to lose, but I am pretty sure that many don’t come because of the bad blood that resulted from previous incidents, such as when that Fax fan suffered bad life changing injuries after the match in Warrington. Sadly there’s idiots amongst all supporters, but the majority are decent. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RobLambert said:

I think the vast majority don't come because they think they will get beaten.  Put it this way - f they were favourites for the title this year or realistic challengers those stay-away fans would soon put aside their allegedly honourable reasons for not turning up at our place. They're simply the most fickle supporters in the league.  You only have to look at the home support which for a town of that size is a disgrace.

Agreed. If Fax had won 52-0 on Sunday Ovenden would have been on here extolling everything good about the game and spat out his bitter lemons.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Exactly. I've no doubt there are a few resigned not to come to.post office rd.

But for the majority of those whinging it's an excuse so they don't have to come over for a tupping. 6-7 years ago fax had a decent start winning something like their first six games before they came to fev fancying their chances. They brought about 700.

The year after a tuppin was in the offing and we again heard the "I'm not going to fev again blah blah blah".

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

Exactly. I've no doubt there are a few resigned not to come to.post office rd.

But for the majority of those whinging it's an excuse so they don't have to come over for a tupping. 6-7 years ago fax had a decent start winning something like their first six games before they came to fev fancying their chances. They brought about 700.

The year after a tuppin was in the offing and we again heard the "I'm not going to fev again blah blah blah".

Spot on Robin. It's weird reading their forum that some haven't been for a few years. Is it a coincidence that it's a few years since Fev have had the upper hand over them. This is true of their home fans that in that time has dwindled because of their lack of success over the top teams. They' ll be back when the pendulum swings.

35 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Agreed. If Fax had won 52-0 on Sunday Ovenden would have been on here extolling everything good about the game and spat out his bitter lemons.

Phil,

Knowing OG personally you are so far from the truth. Though if Fax had won I'm sure he would have been on here giving it large with "...Look how much better Fax are than Fev..." type wind up post. But not not how great the game was, because he would not have been at POR and this would be exactly the same if Fax would have been going into say the 21st game of the season after Fax had won the previous 20 (not that, that would happen any time soon).

I understand he's reasoning for this though, as he knows, I disagree with his stance and his opinion of the situation. However it is his opinion (and the same opinion as other Fax fans, though not all) and he is entitled to it.

After 10 years plus since the incident in Warrington and the cup game at POR, maybe it would be best to leave all of this alone and look forwards rather than back, and I include OG with that sentiment, but he just can't help himself getting the fishing rod out.

If anyone would like to understand why he feels this way then feel free to contact me before we play Fax away and I am sure he'll be happy for me to introduce you so that he can explain his feelings. However please don't mention DR to him (this in not a Fev thing by the way) because life is too short. 😉🤣

OG,

Here's to the next beer together 🍻

Edited by The Grinder
  • Like 1

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

6 hours ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

250 🐮💩 

10 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Phil,

Knowing OG personally you are so far from the truth. Though if Fax had won I'm sure he would have been on here giving it large with "...Look how much better Fax are than Fev..." type wind up post. But not not how great the game was, because he would not have been at POR and this would be exactly the same if Fax would have been going into say the 21st game of the season after Fax had won the previous 20 (not that, that would happen any time soon).

I understand he's reasoning for this though, as he knows, I disagree with his stance and his opinion of the situation. However it is his opinion (and the same opinion as other Fax fans, though not all) and he is entitled to it.

After 10 years plus since the incident in Warrington and the cup game at POR, maybe it would be best to leave all of this alone and look forwards rather than back, and I include OG with that sentiment, but he just can't help himself getting the fishing rod out.

If anyone would like to understand why he feels this way then feel free to contact me before we play Fax away and I am sure he'll be happy for me to introduce you so that he can explain his feelings. However please don't mention DR to him (this in not a Fev thing by the way) because life is too short. 😉🤣

OG,

Here's to the next beer together 🍻

I have seen many a post from him in the past and feel I know who he is on the Fax forum as well. He has often given fair comment and fishing rod banter and I'm sure he is an all round nice guy. But like you I feel it's time to let go of this particular spat of which he brings up at every opportunity when the Fev match comes up. If he doesn't feel safe in a certain perceived unsafe environment then that is his perogative and it's sad anyone should feel that way especially if he has been a victim in anyway. I just hope that one day he might feel differently and anyone else for that matter

• Like 1

It’s difficult I think we do have a problem element within our fans, as do a lot of other clubs, although I think the reputation is worse than the problem. I do think the club has worked to resolve this issue and there probably is still work to be done. Unfortunately I think due to problems in the past fans of some clubs will hold it against it is but not sure what we can do about that. I am old enough to remember going to Thrum Hall back in the 80’s and you rarely got out of the place without trouble but I accept that is in the past and have moved on.

• Like 4

O.K. my last one on the subject. I'm quite used to Fax getting tonked but so long as it's a good day out with a decent jar or two I'm happy. As The Grinder knows I attend games with the wife and I'm not prepared to put her through the abuse we were subject to at Warrington and on previous visits to POR. I've been to tournaments at Featherstone with my son playing the junior game and had some great times with proper rugby folk. Fortunately the people we see at Rovers games don't attend those events. If anyone is offended by being reminded of 2010 they need to think of the NHS worker who has been in a wheelchair for over 12 years just for following his team. The people who did this may or may not still follow Fev but there will be folk who do and chose to say nowt.That to me and many others is the biggest problem surrounding all this. Enjoy your rugby.